Author Topic: To steal a quote from Eric Bishoff, "Controversy Creates Cash" (in the WC)  (Read 75 times)

Ruge662

• Lil Geezy
If i can steal the quote from ex-WCW Executive Producer Eric Bischoff, "Controversy Creates Cash", and its something that West Coast success (in a commercial sense) has stemmed from...

Just looking back at NWA's success, then Death Row's early success (the media attention from the Sony records snub and poltiical attention sure as hell drove sales, not to mention the sheer quality of the music), the subsequent acquision of 2Pac in 1996.... the major highlights from the Left Side's success has really drawn from a backbone of controversy.

Personally, I find that a trait that is quite common in west coast music back in the day, and I feel should be exploited for the West to reclaim its stature in the "commercial" hip hop market that it once did. Having said that, what artists, deals and future outcomes do you believe can create a stir in the industry to get the "average" rap fan to pay attention to the quality music that can only be produced from the WC?

It seems that the "commercial" industry are sleeping on gangsta rap nowdays, since southern hip hop has destroyed the art of a "story-line" in a hip hop track, created a feminized community (I say that since they dont even know what real gangsta rap is) and where its just cool to trick and "makin it rain" on a bitch is the keynote of every fuckin track they produce (huge generalisation of course, but you know where im coming from) and the idea of a classic is making a club-banger that gets about 2 weeks airplay and is never heard again.

End of my rant there, but its just something that came to mind. It pisses me off that the west continues to make some quality music, while bullshit sells instead.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:02:00 AM by Ruge662 »