Poll

Commercially, was 2001 the last strong year for West Coast rap?

Yes, definitely so!
9 (56.3%)
No, we've had stronger years since then (possibly 2005)
0 (0%)
No, somewhere between 94 and 96 was
4 (25%)
2000 was better
1 (6.3%)
I really don't know....
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Was 2000-2001 the last strong year for West Coast Rap, mainstream wise?  (Read 283 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Looking from a mainstream/commercial standpoint...was 2001, or even the bridge between 2000-2001, the last strong year for West Coast rap?

I remember making a thread on an old Pac board back in 2001 around June, saying that this year would mark the West's strong return to dominance. It seems as if everything was in place, and it was a GREAT start...but things just fell apart from them.

In 2001.....
-The West was still fresh off of the Chronic 2001 style...with some even saying that Dre's "2001" predicted that 01 would be the year we were back
-Xzibit and Snoop dropped albums in December of 2000 that were played all throughout 2001
-Tha Liks got major play with "Best you can" which was a bit crossover, but appealed to everyone nationwide
-Kurupt dropped Space Boogie, DPG dropped "Dillinger and Young Gotti", and Death Row put out "DPG 2002" which were all strong releases
-Tha Eastsidaz had a strong sophomore album that debuted at #4 on the overall Billboard charts (not just Rap/R&B/Urban)
-Bad Azz dropped "Personal business" and "Wrong idea" which was originally on Snoop's album became somewhat of a hit, especially in the South
-Dre was the most wanted producer, doing tracks for everyone from Busta and Eminem to Mary J. Blige
-Battlecat was at the top of his game and was producing for non Rap/West artists such as Faith and Brian McKnight
-Nate Dogg was in his prime, and was doing what Akon/T-Pain/Wayne did in the last year or two, by doing EVERYONE's hook...he was the ultimate hook writer at the time, and dropped a solid album as well. He was on major songs like Luda's "Area codes," JD's "Ballin outta control," and Fab's "You can't deny it", and it was evident that the West Coast influence was over these songs
-Baby Boy dropped, and hood movies have always been a staple for the West Coast because of the attention it brings, and the strong Soundtrack that always comes along with it. Snoop was in the movie and had the lead single, which was fitting, and the Sdtk had plenty of West Coast bangers
-Rick Rock was producing for many artists outside of California, such as Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, and Fabolous
-Arguably, 2Pac's last "decent" posthumous album, "Until the end of time" was released

After looking at all of that, plus more...I definitely don't think we've had a stronger year since...and I would even argue that it's as good as some of the years between 91-96 when we held it down. 2000 was the same era, and we can argue if 2000 was stronger than 2001..but it all depends on what you judge by.

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Was 2000-2001 the last strong year for West Coast Rap, mainstream wise?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
as far as mainstream yes

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
I'd like to say yes. But then again, if you only consider mainstream... The Documentary sold more & was probably bigger worlwide than, for example, Restless & Tha Last Meal (combined)

But, I'm gonna say 2001 was stronger as a year, but 2005 was strong year too.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
I'd like to say yes. But then again, if you only consider mainstream... The Documentary sold more & was probably bigger worlwide than, for example, Restless & Tha Last Meal (combined)

But, I'm gonna say 2001 was stronger as a year, but 2005 was strong year too.

Yea, I think the Doc was big, but that was all because of the hype. If we rank the Doc with the albums that came out from late 2000 to 2001, it might be near the top, but wouldn't completely stand out as Doggystyle or Dogg Food would. It was great, but in a different way...and truth is, even as I said then, that album didn't really help the West as much as we hoped. Every major company did end up signing a West Coast artist because of it...but most of them never came out, or still haven't come out.

We Fly High

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
yeah i def think it was the strongest period the west has had in recent times..

that was the year i moved down to Long Beach for school.. and on power 106 it was fucking nuts

that was when Training Day came out too.. so there was like the Dre/Quik Put it On Me

I remember all i heard was like west coast shit on the radio..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
yeah i def think it was the strongest period the west has had in recent times..

that was the year i moved down to Long Beach for school.. and on power 106 it was fucking nuts

that was when Training Day came out too.. so there was like the Dre/Quik Put it On Me

I remember all i heard was like west coast shit on the radio..

LOL damm...yeah it was hella singles that dropped. I love Cali from Roscoe was out too. You could really hear a top 4 or even 8 and hear all but 1-2 West Coast songs on countdowns.

I was just Google'n and it seemed like most sites don't recognize much of anything from the West for that year....they all spoke about the Jay and Nas beef, and their albums, along with others like Meth and Red. When I moved to Florida in 02 for school, it seemed like many people out of state weren't as aware or interested in everything we had goin then....but I do remember us having songs on BET and everybody was workin with our artists. Jay/Clube got Daz and Kurupt on a remix, and even Tha Eastsidaz had a track with D-Block.

We Fly High

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
it was kinda crazy though.. because soon after that time ..everything kinda broke up.. like I clearly remember the day, that kurupt went onto bet 106 and park with suge knight... and it just like shocked me.