Author Topic: JEFF SPEC & LO KEY NOTE INTERVIEW  (Read 56 times)

Lunatic

JEFF SPEC & LO KEY NOTE INTERVIEW
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:02 PM »
http://www.illuminati2g.webs.com/jeffspeclkninterview.htm

Illuminati 2G chopped game with Jeff Spec & LoKeyNote, from Vancouver, British Columbia for a exclusive interview. We discuss how they linked up, their new EP, which is incredible by the way and much more so check it out

http://www.illuminati2g.webs.com/jeffspeclkninterview.htm

Illuminati 2G is here with Jeff Spec and LoKeyNote, how's it going?

JS - Everything is great, we're staying busy, you know?

L: Good my dude, thanks for having us.

Tell me about how you got your start in the game and some of your musical influences.

JS - I started real young, in the late 80's, just rhyming with other kids my age around my school.  We did talent shows where we would perform songs by other artists.  Then, when I was about 15, I started recording little songs with a Gemini 8 second sampler, and passing out tapes to people around my high school.  I made a little name for myself, so I got more serious and started doing full albums around 96.  Since then, I've done 16 full lengths, and a gang of tours and all that.  Also around 96, I started producing, and I've been doing work for myself and other artists too.

L: Like most hip hop producers, I started out rapping. I made beats out of necessity. I built my studio on weed money. Once I started to notice my prodo skill passing my rhyme skill, that's when I figured I may as well just make beats for better rappers. Y'know? For the good of the song. For me, influence just comes from the artist I'm producing at the moment. Like my influence for this record, was none other than Jeff Himself. He has carved out a niche for himself, so I just tried to get in that groove nahmean?

What is the music scene like out in Vancouver, British Columbia?

JS - it's different at times. There's a lot of people with real eclectic music taste out here, and tons of people who love hip hop.  Our music fans are fickle at times though, so you have to come with something new all the time to keep yourself buzzing.

L: Vancouver's got a lot of different styles. You couldn't pinpoint one. A lot of real creative heads comin out of here. Must be the weed. Y'know, we got the best in the world right? Jeff don't smoke, but I know it helps me get loose. The music industry in Canada is tough tho. Our population is real small compared to the states, making it hard to hit those numbers that open the big labels ears. Our artists get heard in the US here and there, and for the most part we all do it without any sorta financial backing. It's all family in Vancouver.

How did you 2 link up?

JS - Lokeynote was at this show I did in Calgary, the One Up festival, where I opened up for Kool Herc.  Then a couple months later I saw him at my record release in Vancouver, and he passed me a beat tape.  We didn't start doing work for a minute, but one day I was at my boy Sichuan's studio, and he threw on the beat for "Bornwriter".  I was like "oh shit" and the rest is history.

L:We met in Calgary at a Graffiti festival in like 2005, Jeff was on the bill, and I was painting a mural. That day I had dinner with KOOL HERC, then we shot pool, and he told mad stories. It was a highlight of my life. A year later I moved to Van, Our friend and fellow producer DJ SICHUAN, brought us together on making some cuts, we did those, then decided to do this EP.

Well let me say that the EP is incredible. You guys have great chemistry. Is there any talks of a full length lp?

fphalf

JS - Thanks for saying that!  My LPs are usually produced by a variety of people, and you can definitely expect to see Lokeynote's name on the next one.  He did a couple jams on my newest joint too, called "...a little night music".

L:Thanks. Hadnt really thought about it. It's a good chance I'll engineer Jeff's next full length, but you know he's sick with the beats too, he can't let me have all the fun nahmean? I'm working on some new projects too, another EP for Young Sin, he's with HHC digital / Koch. That'll be out soon, I'm just starting to get into it with a singer Named Noble, as well as a few others. I do a lot of recording, and mixing artists for other producers too.

Jeff, what is the process you go through in writing songs?

JS - I like to think it happens organically.  I'm real picky when it comes to beats, so picking the right beat is the first step - it has to be correct, not just some hot shit, but something that I feel has room for me on it, you know?  I usually just listen to the feel of the track, and decide what it says to me.  Mood is real important, especially when you deal with primarily soul music like I do.  Another important thing is to think who is listening.  When I was a kid, hip hop music was like a father figure to me, so I like to make music that's not going to alienate the grown folks, but you wouldn't be afraid to play around your kids either.  Mainly though, I just feel out the track and speak back what it says to me.

Lo, how about you with the beats?

L: It depends on the artist, but for this project, I mainly started with the samples, finding ones that I thought were right for a Jeff Spec record. I'll play chops to a click, then add drums, then all the other shit. I don't usually copy and paste my chops or drums, I play each track all the way thru, and build the song from intro to ending. Some times after the vocals are done I'll go back and add some more sounds.

I like how the EP is talking about real topics. Seems like music is getting back to that, which is a good thing. What are you guys thoughts on the state of hip hop?

JS - I think it's always gonna be a lot of artists trying to push the boundaries of what you can and can't say and talk about, and trying to keep it authentic.  It's always gonna be a lot of quick fix type of bullshit out there too though.  Everyone has a different perspective, and a different set of demands, like what they want from their music career.  I just try to do me, and make something I can be proud of in 10 years.

L: I dunno, It's aight I guess. It's been worse. I mean everybody be on this techno hip hop hybrid thing lately, and at least its kind of a breath of fresh air, nahmean? and I mean if done right I don't mind it. In fact I'm finna do some of that. I got a new synth!

Where can people contact you guys and pick up the EP other than here at Illuminati 2G?

JS - this is a totally free EP, we want everyone to check it out, so you can cop the link on our myspace pages -

www.myspace.com/jeffspec

L:In Canada we mess with facebook most. Myspace kinda fell of here, but we still use it, it's just not poppin in Canada like it used to be. The EP is Free to download, just come to our pages , google us, or follow one of these DL links.

.RAR-

http://www.zshare.net/download/18770791a1c44485/   

.ZIP-

http://www.zshare.net/download/192478309cb7dc07/

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates coming up?

JS - I just got back from Tokyo, and the next move is to book some more Canadian and US dates - keep an eye on the myspace for that!

L: Tokyo BUMP! I'm a studio gangster. I stay in the lab, while these dudes go do shows.

Well that is all from me, appreciate the interview. Any last words or shoutouts?

JS - Just for everyone to check out my album, "...a little night music"!!!!!!

L: Thanks fam, we appreciate the love. Video for "Better than this" coming soon. Watch out for it.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: JEFF SPEC & LO KEY NOTE INTERVIEW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »
This ep is crazy dope yall. Check it out.