Author Topic: O'NEAL AIMS TO RESURRECT CAREER WITH RAPTORS  (Read 253 times)

PLANT

O'NEAL AIMS TO RESURRECT CAREER WITH RAPTORS
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 Toronto
O'Neal aims to resurrect his career with Raptors
By FRANK ZICARELLI

The 1996 draft produced one of the best crops in NBA history.

Three league MVPs -- Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant and two-time recipient Steve Nash -- were picked that season.

As the NBA's 2008 season gets set to tip off, four of this year's six highest-paid players entered the league in 1996, including Jermaine O'Neal, who went 17th overall to Portland.

O'Neal has finished third in MVP balloting and three times played on teams that advanced to the conference final.

During his brief time with his new team in Toronto, O'Neal has said all the right things and has done everything asked of him.

With the window of winning a title closing and his reputation as an elite player taking a hit, O'Neal knows what people are saying to his face and behind his back.

"I don't care about anything except winning and helping the Raptors,'' O'Neal said.

As recently as five years ago, the 6-foot-11 O'Neal was a cornerstone on the U.S. Olympic team that qualified for Athens.

The next year he finished third in MVP balloting, averaging 20.1 points and 10.0 rebounds in helping lead the Indiana Pacers to a league-best 61-21 record.

Then came a partially torn ligament in his left knee that kept O'Neal from playing in the 2004 Olympics, the infamous Malace at the Palace brawl and the downward spiral was triggered.

In the past four years, the six-time all-star has missed an average of 29.5 games.

The Raptors represent a new beginning for O'Neal.

When he first spoke with O'Neal after engineering the trade from Indiana, Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo was struck by one impression.

"I was quite impressed with his overall thought process,'' Colangelo said.

"Everything he was going through, emotionally and physically, led to him being introspective.

"He was into it with a complexity than most people would."

It remains to be seen what impact O'Neal will have on the court as he attempts to take the Raptors to the next level after back-to-back losses in the opening round of the playoffs.

What is certain is that O'Neal finds himself in the perfect situation and environment to resurrect his career and the Raptors have the perfect piece to complement franchise player Chris Bosh, a much coveted rebounding and defensive presence who brings a swagger to the floor.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2008/10/28/7226576-sun.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:43:17 PM by PLANT »

PLANT

Re: O'neal aims to resurrect his career with Raptors
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JERMAINE O'NEAL

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 Toronto

World according to Jermaine
Newest Raptor not afraid to voice opinion on variety of subjects

By FRANK ZICARELLI

Chris Bosh and Jermaine O'Neal aim to deliver the knockout blow to other NBA teams. (Michael Peake, Sun Media) No issue is too sensitive and no topic is too controversial for Jermaine O'Neal to offer an opinion.

O'Neal never went to college, but the school of hard knocks and self-education have allowed the newest Raptor to expand his horizons off the hardwood.

O'Neal doesn't just provide sound bytes for the electronic media or convenient quotes to fill a print reporter's note pad.

When he is asked a question, regardless of its nature, O'Neal is as insightful as any NBA player.

When the league invoked an age limit for incoming players eligible for the 2006 draft, O'Neal was among the most vocal opponents, arguing the rule was driven by race.

"Before you speak, you must first understand what the issues are all about,'' O'Neal confided. "Believe in what you say.

"Don't go in front of a camera to make yourself look good. Only speak when you want to be heard. You want people to know exactly how you feel."

O'Neal is a voracious reader of all subjects, a discipline he developed through his mom, Angela Jones, who raised two sons as a single parent in a low-income housing complex in Columbia, S.C.

"There are many, many people who end up in college and don't learn anything,'' O'Neal said. "Life is all about educating one's self. Sometimes young guys speak before they educate themselves.

"My mother always reinforced the importance of reading. If you don't want to read a book, (at least) pick up a newspaper and find out what's going on in the world."

O'Neal, who turned 30 on Oct. 13, can carry a conversation on just about anything unlike many of his peers, sporting or civilian.

As he enters his first regular season in Toronto and 13th in the NBA, O'Neal knows that his growth as a person and as a player is more mental than physical.

"You become more of a thinker as you get older,'' he said. "Before, everything was more physical."

In just about every area of life, O'Neal takes an active role.

O'Neal once bankrolled a recording studio and served as its CEO as a means to support some of his childhood friends.

When he discovered that his heart wasn't into the venture, O'Neal cut ties.

During the current market meltdown, O'Neal took all of his money out of stocks and invested in a highly insured portfolio.

O'Neal believes in taxing the rich to a greater degree.

And this comes from a guy who has two years and $44-million US remaining on his contract.

"I look at my family and not everyone is fortunate enough to enjoy the lifestyle I have,'' O'Neal said.

"They're getting hit and I'm all for taxing the wealthy even more. There has to be more support for the middle class and below. They, too, can receive a piece of the pie.

"I don't believe in one particular segment of society enjoying all the fruits. You have to ensure that all people are enjoying life. Ultimately, it affects kids, who one day will be in positions to run our country."

As a kid growing up, O'Neal's strength came from his mom and older brother, Clifford.

O'Neal's mom had to work two jobs to support her family.

To keep the basketball-playing kids off the streets, O'Neal's coach, George Glymph, whose career path led him to the NBA as an assistant, would have the varsity team at Eau Claire High School practise at night.

"My brother would get me from school and when I got home my mom was in transition, leaving for her next job after cooking us a meal,'' O'Neal said.

"Through my mom, you learn how to be persistent, how to build yourself in tough times and how to build character.

"That is why I'm very, very interested in what goes on in the world. It affects us as people, everybody."

STAUNCH SUPPORTER

South Carolina has produced the likes of Alex English, who serves as a Raptors assistant, Xavier McDaniel and Tyrone Corbin, who played briefly in Toronto.

Married with two kids, O'Neal is a staunch supporter of providing today's youth with role models and opportunities.

"When you're around people like Alex English, Tyrone Corbin and Xavier McDaniel, you understand the positive influences they have on people,'' O'Neal said.

"They instilled a belief in that no matter where you live, what you wear, what you got, you have an opportunity to excel as long as you are willing to set your goals high and do the necessary things to achieve those goals.

"That's the message I try to convey to kids, mothers and fathers."

It's a message worth heeding.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
Re: O'NEAL AIMS TO RESURRECT CAREER WITH RAPTORS
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »
JO is the man!! One of the nicest guys in sports and I am really rooting for him, I always will!!  He will back this year!! I am sure of it!!

DIP DIP SET SET

PLANT

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:07:19 PM »
JO is the man!! One of the nicest guys in sports and I am really rooting for him, I always will!!  He will back this year!! I am sure of it!!
me too man  8)  Cant wait for the season to start!!!

Theres mad hype going around in Toronto right now for JO....Theres been an article in the paper on JO every day for like the last 3 weeks in the papers LOL

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »
^^I love to hear it!! I cant wait to see Raps-Sixers tomorrow, thank god for nba league pass!  You know I have always had a lot of love for Bosh but now with JO on the team I am going to be big fan! Its Pacers for life and I love the look of our new team and they will always be my team till I die but Im excited to see Toronto this year.

DIP DIP SET SET

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
s. o'neal>>>>>>>>j. O'neal

and that's not saying much anymore.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »

HAHAH  what a moron.

DIP DIP SET SET

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:51 AM »

thats a dumbass call right there

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:10 AM »
LMAO...remember when these children used to beef hard as fuck over whether JO was better than Bosh? Look at how nicely they get along now that SPICE has added Toronto to his extensive list of basketball teams. How sweet. :laugh:

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »
LOL

'EclipZe

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »
I hope they bring their A game this season.

PLANT

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »
LMAO...remember when these children used to beef hard as fuck over whether JO was better than Bosh? Look at how nicely they get along now that SPICE has added Toronto to his extensive list of basketball teams. How sweet. :laugh:
well Bosh was/is still better than JO, thats known by most people....But Im still pumped to have JO on our team!  Theres no denying hes going to improve our team!

Who you calling children anyways?  How old are you again? LOL...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:20:43 PM by PLANT »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »
well Bosh was/is still better than JO, thats known by most people....But Im still pumped to have JO on our team!  Theres no denying hes going to improve our team!

Who you calling children anyways?  How old are you again? LOL...

were all children...no hard feelings, son.