Author Topic: Is there anything the Mavs can do to become relevant again?  (Read 237 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Is there anything the Mavs can do to become relevant again?
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:56:34 AM »
Lol, seriously? They just keep losing. It's like I get that with those players they ain't serious title contenders anymore, but what the fuck? They still have some capable players and they don't even play too bad. But they still lose left and right.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

jeromechickenbone

Re: Is there anything the Mavs can do to become relevant again?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »
Time to destroy and rebuild.  They never recovered from Golden State.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »
youth movement

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
pray

or trade for KG
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
^ what the fuck do they need KG for?

Like I said in a previous thread, the only thing that can save them is a tough leader at the guard spot. If by some miracle they could get someone like Kobe or Wade (without giving up Dirk) they would be fine. We see how much Kobe elevated Gasol's game, Wade could do the same for Nowitzki.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
They are mentally defeated. Kidd trade did not pan out, Golden State ripped they heart out. Nas said it best, Destroy & Rebuild.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
And as long as Mark Cuban continues to play a active role in picking players and coaches they ain't going nowhere. I'm tired of owners that got loot thinking they know the ins and outs of basketball. Him and the Maloofs are fucking clueless when it comes to basketball.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:00:06 AM »
Yea...they can stop sucking.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
like its been said...destroy and rebuild. i wouldnt hold on to Dirk either. dudes a star but cant carry a team. send his ass off and get some youngsters.

'EclipZe

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:17:30 AM »
they should trade kidds ass for a good SG to work with dirk like NIK said... hell they couldve used vince carter more then kid this season!

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »
I used to think Dirk was much better than he actually is...IMO, he's not a franchise player. He's a 2nd option on a contending team ala Pau Gasol.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
I used to think Dirk was much better than he actually is...IMO, he's not a franchise player. He's a 2nd option on a contending team ala Pau Gasol.
exactly,he's not getting any younger either. get what you can now and move on.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »
They shoulda traded Dirk instead of Devin Harris...they woulda gotten a lot more.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 07:40:22 AM »
Pretend you’re Mark Cuban.

Right away, everything is different. For one thing you have $2 billion.

More things have changed than that. As you start to look around, you find you suddenly have boundless energy and a keen insight into things you didn’t know anything about, like the Internet, the stock market and the future of global communications.

On the other hand, you don’t care about things that seemed important, like clothes. Now a T-shirt will suffice, no matter where you’re going.

Oh, and you have an obsession with this NBA team you own, that seemed to be going down the drain.

You still go everywhere with it… and it’s ever more painful as its fall accelerates from its pinnacle (2-0 up over the Heat in the 2005 Finals with a 13-point lead midway through the fourth quarter of Game 3) to its present state.

Even if you have a lot going on, like trying to buy the Cubs, which Commissioner Bud Selig will never let happen —Bud likes owners with a more reverent attitude toward commissioners—and SEC is charging you with insider trading, you’re still out there suffering day-by-day with your Mavericks.

You bought the franchise when it was nothing… just as coach Don Nelson started to pull it together.

Of course, dying to help, you got him Dennis Rodman, who scuttled the rest of that season like an anvil dropped from space.

In subsequent years, you and Nellie disagreed about which of you was the genius, but you managed to put your personal feelings aside and let Nellie do what he does.

Then, when Nellie left and the legal proceedings began, you even went Avery Johnson, whom Nellie nominated to succeed him. Avery took Nellie’s offensive team and made it defend.

Voila!

Avery went 16-2 after stepping in for Nellie, 60-22 in his first full season and 67-15 in his third, giving him the highest winning percentage in NBA history at that point.

You let Steve Nash go… to back-to-back MVP seasons in Phoenix and still wound up as a better team!

It looked like it was going to become a championship team except for your misadventure in the 2006 Finals after going up, 2-0 and blowing that 13-point lead in the last six minutes in Miami when it looked like you were about to lead, 3-0.

Now all everyone remembers is you railing about the referees, you getting fined $250,000 by Commissioner David Stern, Avery changing hotels and bristling at the press, presaging your losses in Games 4, 5 and 6.

The next season was even better and worse: 67 wins, utter domination of the regular season, followed by that first-round loss to the Warriors… and that damned Nellie.

The season after that, 2007-2008, you started 35-17 but that was only No. 3 in the West as everything changed.

The Lakers, who had almost lost Kobe Bryant, were back with Andrew Bynum on the rise and the Grizzlies donating Pau Gasol.

Worse, the Suns had just beaten you to the obvious move —Shaquille O’Neal— who would have fit naturally with you but fit awkwardly with them.

So now, you had to think up a dramatic move of your own… Jason Kidd?

Unfortunately, you gave up Devin Harris, your best player under 25, and it would have been nice if someone had figured out Jason would fit about as well with you as Shaq did with the Suns.

Your offense was built around isolations for Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard, leaving little for Kidd to do but hand them the ball and get out of the way.

So you finished 16-13, lost in five games to the Hornets in the first round and offed Avery, who was supposedly too controlling and making everybody crazy.

Now you’ve got Rick Carlisle, a sharp guy who turned around his first two teams, the Pistons and Pacers, but it’s clear your days of winning 55-60 are over.

What do do now?

Make trades in the hope of patching on the fly?

Back up the truck?

Unfortunately, there’s a certain point at which you’re out of good moves—and you’re there.

If you want to trade, you’ll soon discover the only players anyone wants will be Dirk, Josh and Brandon Bass, the ones you’d want to rebuild around.

If anyone knows you, they know you won’t ever be trading Dirk, your No. 1 fave.

There are deals out there, they’re just loaded with risk and freighted with huge, long-term contracts (see: Zach Randolph, Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury or your choice of any Clipper of Bobcat.)

On the other hand, when you see it’s not working, how long do you intend to gaze at it?

Detroit’s Joe Dumars just decided he wasn’t going to watch his veterans—who had been in the last six East Finals—die by inches, plunged boldly into the future and, in the meantime, aligned his fate with Allen Iverson.

Meanwhile, Denver just went from uncoachable with AI, Carmelo Anthony et al. to semi-lucid with Chauncey Billups there to restore order.

We don’t know how they’ll wind up but it was Denver’s best shot to right the ship before Carmelo abandons it and it pushed Detroit headlong into the future.

Of course, the best thing would be if you can get one of those flashes of genius like creating Broadcast.com.

In any case, you’d better figure out a new way to get where you’re going because you’re not getting there this way.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin