Author Topic: Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller passes away  (Read 87 times)

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller passes away
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:40:39 AM »
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705286422,00.html

Larry H. Miller — car dealer, Utah Jazz owner, philanthropist, entrepreneur, Utah icon — died Friday at his Salt Lake mansion at the age of 64 after a long battle with various health problems. Miller's health declined steeply after he suffered a heart attack in June 2008. That was followed by kidney failure, gastrointestinal bleeding and other problems associated with gout and type 2 diabetes. It took surgery, eight pints of blood, two liters of fluid and 59 days in the hospital to save his life. He was hospitalized three more times during the next seven months. He was considered clinically dead on five different occasions during that time, once as recently as December, but was resuscitated.

Each time Miller worked valiantly to regain his strength and mobility, undergoing rigorous physical therapy, but there was always a setback.

His feet riddled with infection and diabetic ulcers, Miller had both legs amputated 6 inches below the knee on Jan. 23.

Miller knew he was in a desperate battle for his life. The night before he was to undergo the amputation, he was asked about the prognosis. "They don't know," he said.

Miller's downhill slide continued.

On Feb. 12, doctors gave Miller more bad news: He had contracted calciphylaxis, a rare disease that strikes a small percentage of those suffering renal failure or undergoing dialysis. The disease calcifies blood vessels, blocking the flow of oxygen. There is no cure.

With continued dialysis, calciphylaxis patients can survive several months. But after weighing his options for a couple of days, Miller told his wife, Gail, and his family that he would not undergo dialysis. "He didn't want to live like that," Gail Miller said. "His only concern was me. He didn't want to leave me alone."

Miller is survived by Gail, his high school sweetheart whom he married 48 years ago, and their five children — Greg, Roger, Steve, Karen and Bryan, as well as 21 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

During one wistful moment while recovering from his heart attack, Miller said, "You know, I don't want this to sound boastful, but I really have had an extraordinary life."

Damn, the leg amputations only prolonged his life for an extra month. I heard the Jazz vs Hornets game in Utah was really emotional today. Rest in peace. :(

Hey Ma

Re: Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller passes away
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:12:51 AM »
he was crooked as a barrel of snakes.

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
RIP to em. This is such a great franchise. Sloan, Malone, Stockton, Pistol Pete, etc.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »
he was crooked as a barrel of snakes.

The Carlos Boozer shit was shady as shit but I didn't know if he had a history of being crooked. All I know is he released D-Fish's contract in what I considered to be a classy move.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
fuck utah

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »
the world lost a very classy man from what ve read before
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens