Author Topic: Do You Guys Agree With Allmusic.com's Review For Kurupt's Tha Streets Iz a Mutha  (Read 444 times)

KC-HOODSTA

well i was listening to it and decided to read the review and well they was wrong

although it ain't no fucking classic like all these DPG dickriders be saying, it was a spetacular album but nowhere near a classic anyways here it is

The Philly native and Southern California transplant's second solo venture minus Daz Dillinger (though Daz supplies production and makes a few lyrical appearances) is hardcore West Coast rap dripping with funk and violence. Kurupt, a truly talented and versatile lyricist who appeared on Pete Rock's Soul Survivor, prefers to downplay his wordplay in favor of confrontational flows on Streetz Iz a Mutha. This is an angry and somewhat controversial record, mainly on the strength of the damning "Calling Out Names." Streetz represents true new-wave SoCal gangsta rap. Daz drops a few LBC funk tracks, namely "Your Gyrlfriend" and the title cut. Dr. Dre provides a signature track and guest emcees on the laid-back "Ho's a Housewife." A philharmonic track provided by Bink Dawg lights up "Trylogy," and Kurupt teams up with the legendary Blastmaster KRS to show his more abstract side on "Live on the Mic." Production is slack in places, and those looking for anything but hardcore may be a little disappointed. This is a very listenable joint, swelling with an updated G-funk sound, but the lyrical content is not for the faint of heart. A veritable who's who of West Coast rappers make guest appearances, including Jayo Felony, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, Xzibit, Warren G, Dr. Dre, T-Mo from Goodie Mob, and KRS-One. Fans of Tha Dogg Pound and L.A. hardcore will definitely dig this. Unspectacular but solid, this was part of a late-1999 West Coast revival.

DPGC23

NOT A CLASSIÇ?

WELL IMEAN
2 EACH THEIR OWN 4 SURE

DPGC23
WWW.927KKUU.COM
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BASEMENT24
WWW.BASEMENTRADIO.FM
10P TO 1A PACIFIC SAT NITES

WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM
BASEBALL FAR AWAY WHISTLEEEEEEEE

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I dont ride alot of DPG stuff but I could happily play this over and over today so I can say that for me at least it is still a classic and too bad for those that dont choose to enjoy it... but as the person above said each to their own  8)

Fraxxx

To me, this album is still one of the best dpg releases ever and easy an album I can listen from track 1 to track 18.  8)
IMO a classic but hey, everybody thinks different.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

KC-HOODSTA

u guys still completely ignored the point of the thread.

LOL people be acting crazy when i anything DPG is not a classic

KC-HOODSTA

Related threads;
Kurupt; Streetz iz a mutha review in The Source Magazine #123 December 99
+
Thoughts on Kurupt after finally hearing the discography

Source review for it is pretty good

i do agree with the source review for it though.

im surprised at all the low rating they gave all the westcoast albums well im not that suprised but it's just amazing they gave them such low rating.

eazy-e's it's on 2.5 mics

COME ON >:( >:( >:(

birdman11

• Lil Geezy
a) allmusic.com knows nothing about rap/hip-hop. To them, commercial appeal directly translates to album quality.

b) nevertheless theyre right about one thing: Kurupt does favor angry flows to the lyrical fire he had previously dropped in Dogg Food and, to some degree, Kuruption.

Paul