Author Topic: Phill Collins Appreciation Thread....  (Read 338 times)

Pacific Standard

Re: Phill Collins Appreciation Thread....
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ai2j8ZsMgYI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/ai2j8ZsMgYI</a>

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
I have been through 2 copies of invisible touch! 1 went 'missing' and the second got burnt out and kept skipping! Awesome album! 8)

INGlewood4Life

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:25 AM »
A black man trapped in a white man's body!!!! :)

the ghost

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
Much love to Phil...amazing drumming skills, plus a hell of a voice.  He can also write a song or two ;)

Against all odds is a hell of a sad song

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
Much love to Phil...amazing drumming skills, plus a hell of a voice.  He can also write a song or two ;)

Against all odds is a hell of a sad song

Mariah did a great cover of it. ;D

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
I respect him for his influence and his significance within pop music, but I don't like him. Genesis started sucking when Peter Gabriel left and Collins went from drummer to bandleader. His voice is good and he's technically skilled, but I never really liked his music and what he did to and with that band.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
phil collins>>>>>>>>>>>>>peter gabriel

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 06:17:10 AM »
phil collins>>>>>>>>>>>>>peter gabriel

fuck nooooooooo

Slikk_J

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:47 AM »
Phil Collins is Great. My personal fav. Is Easy Lover.

Other PC/Genesis tracks worth mentioning are:

Two Hearts
Groovy kind of love
Follow you follow me
In too deep
Land of confusion
Billy don't lose my number

I think dude has had his heart broken, 'cause you can really feel the emotion come across in his tracks. Thats one of the reasons why Im a fan of the dude.