Author Topic: Drew Correa Interview (Producer "Mr Carter" Wayne/JayZ "Prom Queen" Lil Wayne)  (Read 102 times)

Lunatic

not my work

http://illuminati2g.webs.com/drewcorreainterview.htm
I2G linked up with producer Drew Correa for a interview. He is the co producer of the smash hit and Grammy nominated Mr Carter that had Lil Wayne and Jay Z on it from the triple platinum album Tha Carter III. He talks about the making of that track and Wayne current single, Prom Queen that he also co produced, his other projects and much more.

Illuminati 2G is here with Drew Correa, how's it going?

What's up man, I am all good, how bout you?

Good. Tell me a little bit about how you got your start in music and who are some of your musical influences out there.

I started Djing when I was 16. Then I went to school in Orlando for music, engineering and production. Started engineering at a little studio in Miami called Studio 7, and I was also producing on the side. I engineered a bunch of records with Trina, Pitbull, Rick Ross. Then Lil Wayne came along and scooped me up and I was with him for two and a half years engineering and doing beats here and there. I then decided that I wanted to do the production full time because that was what I always wanted to do, so I quit engineering and I just kept doing beats. I would come to the studio and that was how I got my first placement was the Mr. Carter joint.

Man as far as influences, I listened to alot of Dr. Dre, actually alot of Pink Floyd too because my Dad was into it. Jay-Z, Nas, Snoop Dogg, yeah that is all I can think of right now.

Being that you started as a engineer and transitioned into a producer, how difficult or easy was that transition for you?

It was easy, it was always easy because I was always producing while I was engineering. The actual transition as far as getting my beats out there was probably the hardest part just because when you are trying to be a producer and you really have no connections, it is so hard to get your music out there. That was why I decided to start off engineering. But after I made all of my connections, and now with my placements, it's definitely easier now to get my music heard.

What are some singles that you have produced that are out there that people would be familiar with?

Of course the Lil Wayne track Mr. Carter featuring Jay-Z, which was on the Carter III. I did Prom Queen, Lil Wayne's latest single on the Rebirth album. I also did a track for Lil Wayne and Juelz Santana album I Can't Feel My Face, but it leaked. It was called I Can't Feel My Face. I also have 3 or 4 records on the Rebirth album and I just did a Fat Joe record for his new album. And I have a bunch of other stuff coming out that people will be hearing very soon.

Tell me some good memories that you have producing the Mr. Carter track.

Oh man it was really a cool process. The idea came from this weird dream that I had. I had pretty much wrote the hook and I had my friend Sherron, he is out of Miami, he helped me and we started building to the track, adding the pianos and all that. I pretty much made it sound like a sample and that is pretty much how I sold it to Wayne. I went it the studio and I told him I found a crazy sample that me and Infamous did, because Infamous co produced the record with me. We played it for him and he went absolutely crazy and he did it right there on the spot right after I played it for him, he just started going off at it. He did it so quickly it was amazing.

Tell me a little bit about the single Prom Queen from Wayne's new album, Rebirth. How did that track come together?

Prom Queen was another cool process. Wayne called me and he wanted me to come through to make some tracks so I rolled out to the studio and just started really vibing out man. I really did not know how rock he wanted this to sound, I thought he wanted some hip hop elements in there. I started messing around with the drums and Wayne and Infamous started messing around with the guitar and I started adding on strings and organs and Wayne said nah take that out, I want it to be a all rock track so take that out of there. He just wanted live drums, guitar and bass. We worked on that and we ended up doing 2 beats that night, for the rock album, and as soon as we lefted the studio at like 7 in the morning, me and Infamous went back later to see what he did with it and he created 2 records and one of them was Prom Queen, we were blown away by it. When he said it was going to be the first single, we did not believe it at first, because Wayne records so much and does so much material that he constantly going between singles so we were very pessimistic about it being the first single. But we got lucky and Wayne really loved it so it ended up being what it is.

Now from what you have heard is this going to be a straight rock album? I know when it was first announced alot of people were like ok Wayne is going to do a rock album, this is going to be something half rap, half rock. Is this definitely a straight rock album from what you have heard?

From what I have heard it is alot of rock. I have heard a couple Cool N Dre tracks that have some hip hop elements in them, but definitely the tracks me and Infamous did on the album are straight up rock n roll. But from hearing some of the other records, there are a few that will entice the hip hop fans to listen to.

What personal advice would you give to someone up and coming in the game that wants to be a producer. Any tips or advice?

Yeah just really grind and try to make as many connections as possible. The smallest connection could later in your career blow you up. Also now with the whole MySpace thing, really take advantage of the internet. I have seen alot of cats get deals through myspace and get noticed. Dipset goes through myspace and listen to beats and they sign people just from checking out their page. Really utilize the internet now because your chances of getting recognized now are alot better now then when I was coming up.

What would you say is your favorite album. It could be Rock, R&B, Hip Hop just from a production standpoint. Just from the first track to the last track you just thought it was incredible or amazing production that you really enjoy listening to? From a beat standpoint.

As far as rock I would have to say Pink Floyd The Wall album. Hip Hop I really like the Kanye West College Dropout album. I thought that was a really great produced album from the beginning to the end. Those 2 would definitely stick out in my mind.

What is your myspace or website info for people wanting to check out your music and see what you got going on?

www.myspace.com/drewcorrea

Well that is all the questions that I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Do you have any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Thank you and keep listening and looking forward to my work. I have alot of things in the works.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com