Author Topic: What's the coolest piece of sports memorabilia you own?  (Read 168 times)

jeromechickenbone

What's the coolest piece of sports memorabilia you own?
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:05 AM »
Mine would have to be Pete Rose's little black book.  After he got knocked in like '88 or '89, he had to do community service in Cincinnati.  My Mom was a secretary at a school downtown and it just so happened that's where Pete ended up.  Everybody at the school really liked him - we have so many signed pics and balls from him.  Anyway, one day he apparently is kickin it in my Mom's office and casually going thru his black book.  He had bought a new one (if yall youngins don't know back in the stone ages people actually would keep a little book on them w/ peoples names and contact info) and was copying info from the old one to the new one. 

So when he finishes, he half ass tears his old book and throws it in my Mom's trash can.  My Mother being the hustler that she is knew what it was and had to check it out.  This book had all the contact info for all kinds of Hall of Famers and other famous athletes- I'm talking like Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench, etc.  But here's the kicker - It also had names of bookies, actual bets that he made, the money he had on the bets, the whole nine.

Again, keep in mind this was 20 years ago, fresh off his scandal that he adamantly denied.  Of course the idea came across to us to sell it because at the time we could have got some real dough out of it.  But my Mother being the patron saint that she is refused.  She wasn't gonna put Pete on blast.

I know some of yall have some good stuff, so let's hear it.

the ghost

Re: What's the coolest piece of sports memorabilia you own?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
Mine would have to be Pete Rose's little black book.  After he got knocked in like '88 or '89, he had to do community service in Cincinnati.  My Mom was a secretary at a school downtown and it just so happened that's where Pete ended up.  Everybody at the school really liked him - we have so many signed pics and balls from him.  Anyway, one day he apparently is kickin it in my Mom's office and casually going thru his black book.  He had bought a new one (if yall youngins don't know back in the stone ages people actually would keep a little book on them w/ peoples names and contact info) and was copying info from the old one to the new one. 

So when he finishes, he half ass tears his old book and throws it in my Mom's trash can.  My Mother being the hustler that she is knew what it was and had to check it out.  This book had all the contact info for all kinds of Hall of Famers and other famous athletes- I'm talking like Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench, etc.  But here's the kicker - It also had names of bookies, actual bets that he made, the money he had on the bets, the whole nine.

Again, keep in mind this was 20 years ago, fresh off his scandal that he adamantly denied.  Of course the idea came across to us to sell it because at the time we could have got some real dough out of it.  But my Mother being the patron saint that she is refused.  She wasn't gonna put Pete on blast.

I know some of yall have some good stuff, so let's hear it.

Well god damn...mine looks weak now!   You mom is a savage for not giving up the book!

Mine is that I have been a Roger Clemens fan since I was like 5.  I remember back in the day his 84 fleer update card was the card to have for him.  I saved every penny I made for a summer to buy that card for 75 bucks when I was like 10.  My pops said he would pay for the autograph which was at a show and cost like 20 bucks.  So to me it's my best piece, but kinda ruined now:(

On a side note my grandfather gave me a baseball with the most of the 66 giants signatures...Mays, McCovey, Cepeda... but I was like 7 and ended up hitting it in the yard one day.  Needless to say Dad was not pleased when he realized the error.  I still have it but it's a bit scuffed in places now:(

thisoneguy360

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Autographed plaques from Ken Griffey Jr and A-Rod.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
2 Barry Bonds autographs on 8 x 10

My Dad has a shitload of great memorabilia though that will be mine one day and I will never sell one of them regardless of how much I could get, this memorabilia means a lot to me and is so special.  My Dad has a ball signed by the entire 1954 Giants team that won the world series, he got it when he was kid through a lady he knew that had connections with the team, he also has a bat signed by Hank Aaron, he bought it from a auction or sports memorabilia dealer I cant remember and also has 2 separate footballs signed by Steve Young and Jerry Rice.  He also has a Willie Mays signed 8x10, it will all be mine one day and I will hold on to it for my entire life.

DIP DIP SET SET

east bay funk

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:43:39 PM »
i have a ball signed by all of the 1956 yankees. berra, mantle, all of em.  not exactly sure if its from 56 but from close to that time. my dad gave it to me , along with a ball signed by the whole oakland oaks team, which was an old pcl laegue team.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »
Autographed plaques from Ken Griffey Jr and A-Rod.

gotta Griffey autographed bat from when he was with the Mariners.  ;)
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"