Author Topic: J Wells Interview (Good Read)  (Read 215 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
J Wells Interview (Good Read)
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
http://www.illuminati2g.webs.com/jwellsinterview.htm

Illuminati 2G had the honor to interview one of the dope producers out on the west coast, J. Wells for a interview. We discuss his start with Tha Liks and DPG, 2 HUGE announcements on some upcoming albums and 1 sequel coming up, his thoughts on Bishop Lamont and of course his new album, Digital Master 2.1, out April 14th so check it out.

For audio of the interview, click on the link below:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/58625253706cd399/

Illuminati 2G is here with J. Wells how's it going?

Good.

Tell me a little bit about how you got your start in hip hop and who are some of your musical influences out there.

I got my start with the world famous Alkaholiks, Likwit Crew. My homeboy J-Ro picked me up when I was 16 and put me under his wing as a producer and he took me on the road on the Puff Puff Pass Tour. They were on the road with Snoop Dogg and that was when I met Kurupt and Daz. Dogg Pound was on the same bus as the Likwit Crew and the Alkaholiks. Tha Dogg Pound took me in and that is pretty much how I got my start, Tha Liks brought me in the door and Tha Dogg Pound embraced me.

You have a new album, Digital Master 2.1 getting ready to drop soon (April 14th). Is there any details that you can give about it, guests appearances?

April 14th the album comes out, we got Mack 10 on there, WC, Kurupt, Da Brat, Estelle, Snoop Dogg, it's a hot record. Its got alot of cats coming through and getting down, you gotta pick that up.

How would you say this Digital Master is different from your first Digital Master album?

Well the music has grown alot. Is has went from one level to the next one. I got a wider variety of talent on this one, like Estelle. So basically that is the biggest difference. Oh actually on this one I am rapping more (laughs). On the first Digital Master I only rapped on one track, and that was it. On this one I am on like 40% of the album. I also have a couple guest producers, some cats that I have been coming up with and I am trying to let them shine. This cat by the name of AP and different people that I am trying to bring up. I have my own company and it is more about me showcasing the entire company and what is coming from Bonzi Records.

Couple of years back you and Kurupt dropped Digital Smoke. Do you guys have any plans of dropping a Digital Smoke II or any other collabo projects with Kurupt in the near future?

Oh most defiinitely. We are working on Digital Smoke II now. We just want to make it a classic right now. Kurupt is working on the Blaqkout project with DJ Quik so that is really the main focus with Kurupt right now. We have been recording tracks for Digital Smoke II and that is definitely a part of the whole Digital Smoke series so definitely look out for that.

Do you have any other artists that you are possibly thinking about working with maybe doing another collabo project like what you did with Kurupt? Or do you have any other upcoming projects?

It's funny you asked that. I had been talking to Cashis from Shady/Aftermath about doing something. So we have been recording some records and we have been talking about doing a Cashis/J. Wells project. We looking to do that, but as far as the record label, I just signed a deal to release 40 Glocc's album from G-Unit and also Q Parker from 112 he has got a solo album that is coming through my label, Bonzi Records. Just working on broadening the release schedule with different artists.

That leads right into my next question. What is up next for Bonzi Records? Is it just producers or do you have any other rappers or MCs that you are currently working with that are unsigned or anything?

Yeah right now like I said I got 40 Glocc from G-Unit, he is coming out this year. I got Q from 112, I also got this rapper by the name of Mister, he was on the single Already Famous.

So we are going to be putting out a single on him. I also got Clinton Wayne, who has been coming up on the west coast. I am going to be putting a digital release out on him. I got a solo album called Inebriated that I am working on so that will be coming soon. As far as my producing goes, that is more of a broad thing. I am trying to produce on everybodys joints but as far as me doing the artist thing my solo album will probably take more time then the other records right now. So my focus now is producing and putting out other artists that are on the label.

What is your thoughts on the state of hip hop on the west coast right now?

I think it is great, we have a big hand on the whole independent market. I think there is alot of money to be made there. There is alot of new artists that are coming up that is dope like Jay Rock, Glasses Malone. I think that..., I always tell people about this evolution. Hip hop has grown alot, right now the south is doing alot of things. They have a wide range of music and they are bringing alot to the game. There are alot of young cats that are coming out right now, like Soulja Boy that is dope and are bringing a different aspect to the game. Just like at some point, everybody will have their eyes back on the west coast, it just depends on where everything is lined up. I just believe in evolution and change and I embrace that as a producer. I think I have had to embrace the changing of sounds and making different records for different reasons and understanding that people like different things. I feel like the west coast is fine, it's just that all the attention is not on the west coast right now. Because there are other people from other coast getting shine, and that is ok. You gotta move around, I got a crib in Atlanta so I shake hands and bump heads with people all the time so I like to think of myself as universal.

Just wanted to do a little word association with you. Just going to bring up a subject or a topic and you say the first thing that comes to mind, could be one word or could be a statement. First is Dr. Dre.

Legend

The amount of mixtapes and street albums that is out right now.

Overflooded. It's too many of them (laughs)

Your Top 5 West Coast MCs, your personal favorites

Kurupt, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Too $hort, and shit I like Roscoe.

The use of autotune in music right now.

I mean I think it is cool, it just has to be used right. Some people use it just because other people are using it. Anything digital I think is dope because I am all into the digital shit. I think it is cool, I just think some people do not need to use it because they do not even use it in the right way.

Your favorite album, could be a mixtape, beatwise. Your all time favorite album as far as production.

Hard To Earn, Gangstarr.

Man that is a good one.

That is a album I have bumped time and time again and everytime I get the same feeling and reaction. That is a classic right there.

What advice would you give to a up and coming producer starting out in the game? What would you tell them?

I would say that your work ethic is everything. Don't listen to what people say, the impossible is possible. If you work hard, focus, get into the record stores or get online and download music, get into different music forums. Because the more influences you have, the wider your music will sound. All music is made from influence and imitation so the more influences that you have inside of you, the better. Learn hip hop and what you are doing and be logical on where hip hop came from and what really makes a real producer. That is what I would say. Have knowledge on what you are doing and lock yourself in the studio and don't let nobody tell you different.

Is there any possible chance down the line you and Bishop Lamont will hook up and collaborate on anything in the near future?

I don't know, the dude stopped working with me. When he gets his head screwed back on straight and humbles himself, then hopefully we can work. That is pretty much it, I am not one to hold a grudge, if he wants to come back down and do records, then cool. I might be a little more expensive though.

(Laughs) What is your myspace or website information for people wanting to check out your music?

www.myspace.com/jwellsmusic, or www.bonzirecords.com

Well that is all the questions that I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Digital Master in stores April 14th, pick that up.

Appreciate the interview.

Yessir.

Mietek23

Re: J Wells Interview (Good Read)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:26 AM »
Propz for the interview. Good to hear J Wells and Kurupt are working on Digital Smoke II...

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »
A Cashis/J Wells album would be interesting.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »
if i remember correctly, J Wells dissed Bishop out of nowhere.
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=18075

i guess that's what crack can do to you
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:33:26 AM by Dre-Day »

EFFeX

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
Propz for the interview. Good to hear J Wells and Kurupt are working on Digital Smoke II...

Yessir, I can't wait to hear that!

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com