Author Topic: Orlando Hudson hit for the cycle  (Read 277 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Orlando Hudson hit for the cycle
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »

As for the original topic, Hudson has started this season on a tear!!!! I was wondering why Billingsley didn't start Opening Day for the Dodgers, but I guess they wanted him for the home opener against the Giants?? He was easily the best pitcher on your staff last year and top 10 in baseball. I'm also not a fan of playing on Monday, taking a break, then resuming Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully that gives the Giants a chance to regroup and try to regain their dignity.

Management thinks that the experience of Kuroda allows him to be there for the Season Opener.  Lots of Dodger fans don't even like Chad Billingsley that much, it's a shame because he's definitely an elite pitcher.  Many fans are still butt-hurt about his outing vs the Phillies in the NLCS and how he didn't retaliate after they threw at Manny and Martin.  So even though the guy is only 24, he's already been labeled a non-big game pitcher.  I think that's just fucking dumb, but hey that's how it is. 
That is pretty flawed logic, somebody on your team threw at the Phillies, he didn't need to. Memory from that is a little fuzzy, but in winnable game (I think it was while he was in), you don't want to let anyone get a free base. It's almost better to have him start the home opener and have him dominate like that to erase any doubts the team or fans had.

I highly doubt Hudson can be anywhere close to keeping up this pace, just look at his career numbers. The thing that really got me is that I noticed he had 3 SB's just last week, and his career-high was 10 in a season. Maybe he has found the right situation, but this kind of jump in performance at over 30 years old is very unlikely.

I was actually comfortable with Lorretta and Dewitt to fill in the role at 2B.  Im not expecting Hudson to keep the pace, but I do think his OBP will be good for a number 2 hitter