Author Topic: NEW Nipsey Hu$$le dx "interview" *  (Read 183 times)

Elano

NEW Nipsey Hu$$le dx "interview" *
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
For the third week in a row, DXnext stays on the west coast. Not far removed from J Wells' second-generation DPG-Funk, is Nipsey Hussle, another Long Beach rapper, who despite his rich ties to some of the most feared streets in America, has a lot to say about Hip Hop.
Often called a new Snoop Dogg - a comparison that Nipsey doesn't seem to mind, the LBC rapper's verses prove that he's very much his own man. According to Hussle, when it comes to his musical subject matter, it’s all about the updated version of what’s going on in the world. The legends have told the story well in their own respected ways in which we will never forget, but it’s always good to get the latest. Nipsey knows this and lives by the saying that in order to succeed in the future you have to know your past, especially in the west coast.

Does He Represent The New Generation Of The West Coast?:"Being mentioned in the same sentence as those legends is a good thing as I like good music and that’s what I was raised on. It’s an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as an Ice Cube , Snoop Dogg , or [2Pac]. I’ve trying to earn that recognition putting out music, that’s something you have to earn. I’ve just been successful taking that to my music the past eight or nine months."

Opinions On His Current Status: "As a west coast artist, we don’t have the same outlets for our music as a Miami, Atlanta, or New York artist. One of the things that I opened my eyes to is that you have to run your region. In California, you don’t have, but so many outlets. When you go to New York, you got Sirius Satellite Radio, [DJ] Green Lantern , [DJ] Kay Slay, they got all different outlets to get your music out. It was vital that I traveled outside my region to get my name known out there."

The Snoop Dogg Comparisons:"I get a lot of comparisons from the way I look and how I carry myself. As said before, it’s great to get mentioned in the same sentence as a legend like him. In my music, I do try to make a great distinction that I want to follow in the path of classic west coast music, but my sound, what I’m talking about, my song concepts is totally different. One of my objectives is too have an individual identity and not sound like what was already successful."

The Stereotype Is All West Coast Music Is G-Funk, Gangbanging, Does Nipsey Add Something New?: "I just try to tell a different story. A lot of that is culture out here on the west, but that’s not the story I’m telling. All the palm trees, beach parties, that’s L.A. culture, but it’s much more to it. A lot has changed in the streets so what I represent is the update. I’m here to tell everybody what has changed and what’s going on in the west right now."

Critically-Minded:"Hell yeah, as far as the Hip Hop and music world, we feel like we are going to drop a classic [album]. Now as far as the commercial world and the retail end of it, I got high expectations for myself. You've got to put it out there for the people so they can gravitate to it. As far as the music end of it and the story I’m telling, as far as people who love Hip Hop, it’s gonna be critically-acclaimed in my opinion. I feel like I create those records that people in the Hip Hop world will love. I feel like a lot of the music coming from the west right now is not repping our culture right here. I do feel like the west has thing it’s thing on many records, I just feel like it needs to be updated. It’s a new generation on the west to speak on the street element and that’s what I represent."

Whether Or Not You Set Trip, You've Got To Set Trends:You have to move forward with everything. Whether it’s technology or whatever, you can’t stay with the times, that’s just how it goes. At the end of the day, the people considers what is hot, so if the people is loving a certain element they will love you. You have to come and start your own movement, making it yours. You can’t come out and be a Soulja Boy [click to read], or whoever the latest successful artist was. I can see what makes so many people gravitate towards that, but I extract that into what I do. I can’t make a dance record like Soulja and expect to be as successful as Soulja Boy, because that’s not me.  You have to move forward with the new trends that will put people on board."

Is The Business Backing Nipsey?: "Everything been so far been good. [Epic Records] believes in the project, as I’m 85% done with it. The first single on radio right now is called 'Hussle in The House.' It’s a real Hip Hop, street record. I want to cater to the people first to let them know this is the type of music that I represent. As far as my situation with the label, it’s all good. They support it, we on tour right now with The Game . When you got to a lot of these small cities, they really love Hip Hop out there. It’s been good people been hitting me online telling me when the album dropping, they are gonna support me. It’s a lot of things going on, man, and we doing alright.

Why Nipsey Hussle Deserves Your Support Even If You're New To The Movement: "First off I know people is bombarded with music. Ninety-percent of the music is not quality music, so I understand that. It can be exhausting when you giving motherfuckers a chance and then be like, 'Damn.' At the end of the day there is no reason to give a chance other than my opinion of what I’m a say. Me personally, to the Hip Hop fans, this is what I live for and it embodies everything I love about Hip Hop. I’m pretty sure it’s someone just like me that loves Hip Hop. They check these websites like HipHopDX, just like they check their email, I’m tryna bring that to them and give them that top quality. They miss that quality of albums with 16 records and you can play them top to bottom."

greko

• 'G'
Re: NEW Nipsey Hu$$le dx "interview" *
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:50 PM »
Haha Nipsey from LBC now? Props for droppin this interview! Nipsey always seems like a cool dude in these interviews. When does Bullets vol. 3 drop?

manson

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
Nipsey's definitly the fututre

2euce 7even

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:25 AM »
LBC?

nip iz tha man..new born star..hope he gets tha love he deserves.

Soopahigh

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

DPGC23

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »
BULLETS 1 AND 2 WER DOPE

CHOWWWWWWF

DPGC23