Author Topic: We always blame the mainstream, but is underground hip-hop any better?  (Read 167 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I want to make a point and then hear from everyone else what they think about this topic. 

There are two types of "Underground" artists.

Type #1-  The Emcee or DJ

When I think of the underground in the 90's I think of rappers and dj's who battled at shows.  I think of those types of artists that you mind find at Scribble Jam or places like that.  Cats who had really creative lyrics and sounds that were usually too complimicated to for the mainstream to understand or care about.  But the really serious fans would take the time to listen more closely and really feel what the artist was bringing lyrically or sonically.

Type #2-  The Wannabe Gangsta, Thug, Baller

Now of course I do remember in the 90's when you had all these "underground" artists trying to be like Death Row and the leaders in the game.  They all wanted to prove they were gangsta's, be like Pac or an entrepreneur like Suge Knight.  A good example of this would be No Limit Records before they blew up.

...it seems like today we don't have too many of the first type, and most are of the second type.  But today they copy artists like Jeezy, Wayne, Jim Jones, and come with that club music.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:02:02 PM by Prescribed By Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Alot of underground artist wish they were the big stars who they cuss and act like they will never become. Its not because they dont want to be a mainstrea artist, its because they cant.

Lets be real, 99% of artists who join the game, want to be rich, sells millions with there music etc and some have that ability others dont.

Only few within the mainstream and even underground actually have the ability to make great music along with substance however.

Some people act wayy too hard like anything thats for women or a hit song is automatically wack because it may have become huge or popular and will refuse to listen anything of the sort even if its good music yet there is no difference between them and the cats who only listen to say a few big artists and nobody else unless its major mainstream.

thats how i see it anyway, i know ive slightly deviated off topic but point is, in general everyone wants to make music which sells and hope everyone listens there music and feels it. Only few can. Some underground stuff is great, some mainstream stuff is great...most is just generic and even more generic garbage...

thats how i see it...right now anyway, maybe y'all will drop better points and i'll change my point of view but i just think y'all should be able to enjoy music which is good regardless of who it is aimed at aslong as it sounds good and whether its mainstream or not shouldnt make a difference on how u judge a joint too much

pz!

Cali Climate

"Backpacker" or "socially conscious" rappers really don't have much an edge over your average gangsta rappers, with the exception that they usually don't lie about their material worth as much.

Their (backpackers) problem is that they usually ramble off a bunch of logical fallacies and political jabs that don't really amount to much beyond agit-pop.

They aren't really enlightening, except to those who don't want to think for themselves.

Not to say I don't like how Blackstar or Dead Prez flow in their songs, but a lot of the so called political observations are bullshit, just as are the guys rapping about 26's claims of boning A list celebrities, it's just a more sincere sounding form of bullshit.

As far as DJ's go, those are people who have a physical talent, I don't really put them in the same lane as talented mc's, as they have skills that very few people can do, unlike writing raps.

NotoriousTDA

I think both can put out good music.

K-OS is an example of an "underground rapper." He's mainstream in Canada but thats because Canadian video television shows air good music (for the most part).
He put out a solid album this year. Something that doesnt sound generic and is simply good music.

Slim Thug is an example of the "wanna be gangsta/ thug rapper." Sure the lyrics really arent mind blowing, but the beats are addictive and the album is consistent from front to back.
For someone who really doesnt pay much attention to the "poppy" aspect of hip-hop music, i thouroughly enjoyed Slim Thug's latest album, very catchy.

I think mainstream and undeground music both put out shit music and can also put out great music. I just always assume better music is going to be coming from the underground.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
even those underground rappers are unable to stay away from the same stereotypes of rap

Cali Climate

even those underground rappers are unable to stay away from the same stereotypes of rap

exactly.

"My mindstate magellan oppression of the people corrupt government shapeshifter no tellin"

Triple OG Rapsodie

I want to make a point and then hear from everyone else what they think about this topic. 

There are two types of "Underground" artists.

Type #1-  The Emcee or DJ

When I think of the underground in the 90's I think of rappers and dj's who battled at shows.  I think of those types of artists that you mind find at Scribble Jam or places like that.  Cats who had really creative lyrics and sounds that were usually too complimicated to for the mainstream to understand or care about.  But the really serious fans would take the time to listen more closely and really feel what the artist was bringing lyrically or sonically.

Type #2-  The Wannabe Gangsta, Thug, Baller

Now of course I do remember in the 90's when you had all these "underground" artists trying to be like Death Row and the leaders in the game.  They all wanted to prove they were gangsta's, be like Pac or an entrepreneur like Suge Knight.  A good example of this would be No Limit Records before they blew up.

...it seems like today we don't have too many of the first type, and most are of the second type.  But today they copy artists like Jeezy, Wayne, Jim Jones, and come with that club music.

There's a lot who are both. Take Crooked I for example. Raps about the gangsta lifestyle but can outrap many of the so-called "backpack rappers." For me its not about what they rap about, its about who's the most skilled lyrically.

double_a

• 'G'
I think both can put out good music.

K-OS is an example of an "underground rapper." He's mainstream in Canada but thats because Canadian video television shows air good music (for the most part).
He put out a solid album this year. Something that doesnt sound generic and is simply good music.

Slim Thug is an example of the "wanna be gangsta/ thug rapper." Sure the lyrics really arent mind blowing, but the beats are addictive and the album is consistent from front to back.
For someone who really doesnt pay much attention to the "poppy" aspect of hip-hop music, i thouroughly enjoyed Slim Thug's latest album, very catchy.

I think mainstream and undeground music both put out shit music and can also put out great music. I just always assume better music is going to be coming from the underground.

they dont play good music here, u might get some good canadain music thrown in but thats only cause there forced to play canadian content otherwise its alotta the same bs!
but back on topic
hip hop should be thankfull for a lable like duck down, as long as they release a couple cds a year hip hop aint dead as far as i see
so on that note im off to the mall to cop that new general steele-welcom to bucktown!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
i agree that it's bullshit to state, that mainstream music is automatically shit, merely because of the category it belongs to.
i mean NWA for example, crossed over from the underground to the mainstream, but the music is great.

however, the radio is full shit.
there's a lot of horrible mainstream music out there and it certainly didn't get any better over time.

so i think you can't put each category into a box by adding a "general" quality stamp to it.

though i do notice, that in this digital era, more and more good quality music gets released independently