Author Topic: Another NEW WC interview  (Read 61 times)

Myrealname

Another NEW WC interview
« on: October 12, 2002, 11:51:53 AM »
SIXSHOT: What’s up WC, Let’s go back to the beginning, how did you get started in the hip-hop game?
WC: I got put down by Ice-T. I did my thing with Ice-T’s clique Syndicate. It started off with me and DJ Aladdin. We were called Low Profile. We released the Low Profile Album “We’re in this Together”.

SIXSHOT: You and Aladdin decided to go your separate ways but remain cool, what did you do then?
WC: I got together with my brother Crazy Toones, Big Gee who’s from my hood and Coolio, who I met through DJ Aladdin. Coolio was my hype-man. That group was WC and the Madd Circle. We put out the album “Ain’t a Damn Thang Change” another classic.

SIXSHOT: That’s right. You were putting it down for the West Coast in a real way for years, before the West Coast came to prominence. Now more than anything else, you have one of the most unique styles in rap, how would you describe your rap style?
WC: Unorthodox. You can never predict what I’m going to do. Never. I could come at you from any way at any angle when I’m on the mic.

SIXSHOT: How did you hook up with Cube?
WC: We did tours together back in the early 90’s. I was an act on his Death Certificate album Tour, it was us, Del, Cypress Hill, Naughty By Nature. That was back in ’91. We also did Lollapalooza with Cube, Red Hot Chili Peppers, all of them back in ’94.

SIXSHOT: How did the formation of Westside Connection come about?
WC: We always wanted to do something different. [Cube] wanted to do the NWA thing again…but something different. We did it though….droppin’ the most controversial album in history: Bow Down.

SIXSHOT: It is well known that you are a Crip and Mack 10, your fellow Westside Connection rhyme partner is a Blood, and that the Crips and Bloods are well known gang rivals in the LA area; How did you feel about forming this Supergroup with a Blood?
WC: We don’t trip, we work. I don’t have any problem with it at all. We focus on getting this money. A lot of us are too stuck on where we’re from instead of where we’re going.

SIXSHOT: Outside of a few relatively minor flare-ups with Cypress Hill, Common, and King Tee, the members of Westside Connection seems to pretty much avoided the bicoastal feuding and big beefs that have plagued labels and hip hop for a while now. How has this group represented their territory so strongly and so blatantly without engaging in a serious beef with other artists or label?
WC: Everything we do is justifiable. We don’t directly attack anybody. We don’t single anybody out. Our attack is fuck you if you aren’t down with what we do. We attacked the East Coast media that really didn’t support West Coast artist. The thing is, they always support theirs over there. We have to start supporting ours over here.

SIXSHOT: Ok, I’ve heard some of the tracks off your new album GHETTO HEISMAN. They’re hot. The track you did with Snoop called “The Streets (remix)” is the hottest thing on the radio right now. What is the Ghetto Heisman all about?
WC: Ghetto Heisman represents ghetto love. It represents the things that I love to do. The ghetto has always been real good to me. The ghetto has always been real supportive of me, so I have to represent it fully. This album is about love from ghettos worldwide.

SIXSHOT: Who’s producing on the album?
WC: Rick Rock , who did Change The Game with Jay-Z, Battlecat who’s one of the best producers in the game, Buckwyld, a couple of new cats Flip and Audiotone who gave me three heaters, and my brother Toones.

SIXSHOT: What artists are appearing on the album?
WC: Snoop is gonna be on there, Cube, Mack 10, Scarface, Case, Rick Rock, MC Ren, Butch Cassidy and Dr. Stank who’s a new artist.

SIXSHOT: Ok, now this is crazy, but you’re signed to Def Jam, how did that happen?
WC: Well, the other label I was with was bought out by Universal…Lyor Cohen had his hand on me keeping me from everyone till he could get me signed to Def Jam.
SIXSHOT: That’s not a bad hand to have on you....
WC: Yeah, but people know that just because I signed to a New York based label, I haven’t switched up. I’m still WC. My album is a W-C album.

SIXSHOT: Are you planning any touring?
WC: I’m started a promo tour at the end of September, I’m going everywhere. They got me working over at Def Jam.

SIXSHOT: Alright, the money question. When does that GHETTO HEISMAN drop?
WC: October 22.

sixshot.com