Author Topic: What can Relapse tell us about the musical direction on Detox?  (Read 497 times)

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
Let's take a trip back the late 90's.....Dre tried to establish the Aftermath sound with the compilation and the Firm album, then with the King Tee album that got shelved after mixed reviews.  Collaborations here and there with the likes of Kurupt and LL Cool J, and that was really the last we heard of that type of symphonic style from Dre.

The next time we heard Dre productions was on two albums released in 1999:  The Slim Shady LP and No Limit Top Dogg.  Six songs - My Name Is, Guilty Conscience, Role Model, Buck Em, Bitch Please, and Just Dippin.   Dre switched it up with snares, guitars, piano and different types of keyboard sounds.  Looking back, it was a prototype of what to expect from the classic Chronic 2001-sound.  We also had leaked tracks like XXplosive, What's The Difference and Forgot About Dre to feed the hype.  2001 dropped and the general consensus was Dre did it again.

Today in 2009, we have a similar situation. An Eminem album dropping before a Dre solo album, with a few leaked tracks from the Dre album floating around too.  Difference this time around is that instead of 3 contributions from Dre on Em's album, you have nearly the whole album with Dre's stamp on it.  So the question is, what can the sounds of Relapse tell us about what to expect on Detox?  While it is true that Dre creates a different type of soundscape for Eminem than he does for himself, there's still common elements between the beats.

jeanmiche777

Re: What can Relapse tell us about the musical direction on Detox?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
Difference is, we stil don't have Bitch Please o XXplosive type of bangers. I think there will bve a few joint like Underground from relapse. Don' get carried away had the same vibe. But I hope it will be better  8)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
It's definetly interesting that the majority of the beats are solo Dre production and that they are better than the co-production with Mark Batson. Regarding the beats this project definetly restored my faith in Detox. Plenty of variety in a beat, several styles (some westcoast, some eastocast, some eminem-ish) in contrats with the unfinished and siimple piano loops we've been hearing for the past few years. Then again we all know that Hi-Tek, Khalil and Mr.Porter are also working closley with Dre for Detox and they can have a whole different direction.

Let's also not forget about Get Up and I Get It In from 50, another 2 great productions. He just needs to tell Em to stop with the accent and goofy shit and 50 that he'll never make another In Da Club.

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »
Pay close attention to the beat for "Bagpipes From Baghdad"...

Matty

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
good thread!!! i will post something detailed later. something to think about though - you can hear the same 'drum roll' (i played percussion but not sure what the technical term for this is) on a lot of the relapse beats that is used on bishop's no stoppin carson'. there's been a lot of experiments with different snare sounds and its interesting to compare the 'dre' drums with what khalil has been doing too.

there's no doubt that dre's low-end is head and shoulders above what most producers can come up with. 'imagine' and 'round here' are good tracks to discuss in relation to this.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:50:18 PM by Matty »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:57 PM »
nothing (new) if you ask me.
Dre's sound had already taken shape.

also, even though Relapse is pretty much a full Dre produced album, a much higher amount of material got shelved.
yeah yeah, there's supposedly a relapse two, but that only increased the size of the shelved material.

besides, by the time Dre & interscope actually plan to release Detox, Dre's sound could have changed a bit.

so even after all these years, we don't know shit about Detox.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
I love the outros on Same Song & Dance and Medicine Ball. More of this for Detox please 8)

Matty

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
yeah there are some really cool outros on relapse. for the biggest clues on detox i think what quik said is a good indicator. but i'll post some essay style shit later 8)

by the way there's one monster beat that sits like a centrepoint between dre's slightly older sound and his new, crisp/live sounding drum sets. all will be explained!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:08:41 PM by Matty »

jeanmiche777

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »
Deja Vu has the best outro imo

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
yeah there are sone really cool outros on relapse. for the biggest clues on detox i think what quik said is a good indicator. but i'll post some essay style shit later 8)

by the way there's one monster beat that sits like a centrepoint between dre's slightly older sound and his new, crisper/live sounding drum sets. all will be explained!

lol I'm waiting to read this 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
yeah there are some really cool outros on relapse. for the biggest clues on detox i think what quik said is a good indicator. but i'll post some essay style shit later 8)

by the way there's one monster beat that sits like a centrepoint between dre's slightly older sound and his new, crisp/live sounding drum sets. all will be explained!
Quik didn't really say anything  :P

or was that sarcasm?

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
Here's how I feel about Detox:

If you peep Bishop Lamont's street album you can hear the various influences that will be on current and future Dre records.  For example, Stay Wide Awake seems to be the Dre version of All On My Dick.  At least, they sound similar to me.  The elements would be adopted by Dre but unlike it's been done before.

Because this was crafted for Eminem I assume Dre's material will be more anthem-esque, complex, but with a focus on different elements like bass.

I think no matter what I won't be disappointed.  While I would love some crazy shit like a Dre variation of Just Blaz's Olympic Anthem, he won't come weak.  This is Detox, his closer.  Ya get the picture?  With his insecurity and ego he won't come incorrect.   He'll disappoint a few folks but those people would be disappointed not matter what.

Edit:
Besides I think Relapse purposefully does not have those heaters that bang.  And, this opinion is just based on various tracks Bishop has played snippets of in the past year. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:15:57 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »

Quik didn't really say anything  :P

or was that sarcasm?

Maybe the comment about choosing between good chronic and a detox solution at the pharmacy?

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
Now I'm hungry for Bishop Lamont's the Reformation.  His ass better not be shelved or dropped or lack any of those classic beats.   Man, I hope Em and 50 sell like crazy just for Lamont to blow.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Matty

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
quik talked about a strong classical influence. i think the melodies will be different in that respect - no stoppin' carson and that young buck record give some samples of a more chilled, classical vibe. it'll be some kind of mix between his normal dark bangers and a more mellow, classical sound. lots of string arrangements is a given too.

my hope is that there are still some strong FUNK influences, like on shit popped off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:50:27 PM by Matty »