Author Topic: Yankees selling dirt... literally and figuratively  (Read 187 times)

Rick McCrank

Yankees selling dirt... literally and figuratively
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
what a joke... not only do the tickets cost thousands of dollars a game to see a team full of weenies, now they're ripping people off for nothing!

May 13 -- Major League Baseball quality infield dirt costs $75. That’ll buy about a tablespoon once it has been to Yankee Stadium.

The New York Yankees said today they are selling about 1,500 pieces of memorabilia from their old stadium, including the dirt used during the last game there in September. All Yankee dirt since 1952, including the dirt used in the new $1.5 billion stadium across the street from the old building, has come from Beam Clay in Great Meadows, New Jersey.

Even though a coin-shaped dirt memento at $80 is among the cheapest souvenirs on offer, it still seems like a lot to Beam Clay owner Jim Kelsey.

After the last game at Yankee Stadium on Sept. 21, authenticators from Steiner Sports Marketing, the Yankees’ memorabilia partner, watched as dirt from different field locations was put into buckets, sealed and marked with a hologram.

The dirt was then transported to the company’s warehouse, where the same authenticator unsealed the buckets and watched as the dirt was placed into coin-shaped capsules. Each coin was then set in five-inch crystals adorned with the stadium’s final- season logo.

The team also will be selling photos affixed with actual stadium dirt: Mariano Rivera exiting the bullpen, with the warning track on the photo covered with authentic dirt; Derek Jeter sliding into third base during a game, with authentic dirt flying up around him.  <----- what the fuck!?

“You can’t just sell dirt,” A.J. Romeo, director of Yankees Steiner Collectibles, said in an interview. “You have to make it cool.”

The team will also be selling pairs of seats for $1,499 -- cheaper than some individual tickets at the new stadium -- a single bleacher seat for $399

freeze-dried grass for $80   -     a 2- foot by 2-foot piece of sod for $280

Items to be auctioned later include the section of the wall that Jeter dived over July 1, 2004, for a foul ball, bloodying his face

“We haven’t tried to package the clubhouse air,” Romeo said. “It would be a cool idea if we could do it.”

^  what an asshole  :laugh:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Yankees selling dirt... literally and figuratively
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »
were so G. ;D 8)

thisoneguy360

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
The sad thing is people will buy that shit.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »
lollllllllllllllllllll
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
now they're ripping people off for nothing!

only if people buy it.

if people want dirt that bad, it might not be such a rip off lol. ;D

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
Wow what an embarrassment

DIP DIP SET SET

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »
The sad thing is people will buy that shit.
Wow what an embarrassment

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
This is just pathetic.  Selling dirt?  They need the money bad?  Can't they just offer this to the devoted season tickets holders for free?   :grumpy:

Rick McCrank

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »
The team also will be selling photos affixed with actual stadium dirt: Mariano Rivera exiting the bullpen, with the warning track on the photo covered with authentic dirt; Derek Jeter sliding into third base during a game, with authentic dirt flying up around him

I mean what the hell is this?