Author Topic: Any of ya'll ready to retract your ridiculous "LeBron>Kobe" claims yet?  (Read 6572 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

You can argue whether or not Kobe is as good now as Jordan ever was. I'm not going to say a current Kobe on that Chicago team instead of Jordan wouldn't have won as much. But I'll never believe that Kobe would ever have been the star Jordan was in the mainstream media. You cannot create the level of star MJ was. No matter how good you are. How talented. How many rings. Michael Jordan was in a very select group of mega celebrity super sports stars that only a handful of people ever get to see. Babe Ruth. Ali, Tyson, Mickey Mantle, Jack Dempsey, Wayne Gretzky (but more so in Canada because Hockey is only so big in the US). These are figures who in their prime were national heroes. Plenty of people can be hailed as "the best" at what they do in sports. Their have been dozens over the decades, but only a very select few can reach the heights of marketing that Jordan reached. All the stars alligned for him and he was the perfect man for the situation.

Saying you could easily do it with Kobe is like saying Vince McMahon could have easily made another Hulk Hogan. MJ is Hulk Hogan. Kobe is the Ultimate Warrior.

but you can't really say that Kobe wouldn't have been as big as Jordan on the Bulls, because there's no way of knowing...you don't know how Kobe woulda been handled had he been placed in Jordan's shoes. Jordan came in the league at a perfect time, right when marketing took off. I could easily see Kobe being that same way had he been brought into the league under the same circumstances as Jordan...for you to act like that's out of the question is wrong. A huge part of it is a a matter of timing...PeACe

If Jordan never came into the league then and came into it now he may or may not have been as big as he was in the 90s but he would be hands down bigger than anyone else in the NBA. There was so much more to market with that guy. He had a natural charisma that LeBron and Kobe don't have. Someone said about Hulk Hogan; Hogan never would have been as big as he was in the 90s instead of the 80s acting the way he acted but you could pluck Hulk Hogan out of 1985 and put him on 2009 TV and he'd be the biggest star in the company hands down.

Timing is a small factor in the rise of megastars. Take Elvis Presly from 1956, give him a slight make over and have him sing current pop songs and he may not change the world of music in 2009 but he'd make Justin Timberlake and the Jonas Brothers look like clowns.

Kobe simply does not have the it factor that Jordan had. I know you like the guy and all but I'm sorry he doesn't. No Laker ever did. No other NBA player ever did. When you thought basketball you thought MJ. And more so you would think MJ before you even thought basketball. No ther player in the history of the sport would you answer the question "Who is Michael Jordan?" with "He's Michael Jordan". Every other huge star in basket you'd say "he's a basketball player".

Its true, there are a ton of reason why Jordan is the icon he is.  Youre right, during the height of his popularity...he became larger then the sport. There is his charisma, his likeability, etc. But there is also this, for the first time you had a star in Basketball that was hands down, without a doubt (there was NO debate about this) the best player in the league.  There was no question. As a matter of fact, before his career was over there was no question that he was the best ever. It was NEVER in doubt.  You didnt have that before him, and you havent had it since. And we're talking about an era that saw the end of Magic and Birds careers, Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, Drexler, Pippen, Stockton, Wilkins, etc. All greats, all HOF's or future HOF's.  And he was still, THE best. And no one argued it.

How would Kobe not be the best out of that list? Especially if you put him in Jordan's shoes...there is not one perimeter player that could compare to Kobe had he been playing in Jordan's era. There still isn't now, but that's besides the point. LOL.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

You can argue whether or not Kobe is as good now as Jordan ever was. I'm not going to say a current Kobe on that Chicago team instead of Jordan wouldn't have won as much. But I'll never believe that Kobe would ever have been the star Jordan was in the mainstream media. You cannot create the level of star MJ was. No matter how good you are. How talented. How many rings. Michael Jordan was in a very select group of mega celebrity super sports stars that only a handful of people ever get to see. Babe Ruth. Ali, Tyson, Mickey Mantle, Jack Dempsey, Wayne Gretzky (but more so in Canada because Hockey is only so big in the US). These are figures who in their prime were national heroes. Plenty of people can be hailed as "the best" at what they do in sports. Their have been dozens over the decades, but only a very select few can reach the heights of marketing that Jordan reached. All the stars alligned for him and he was the perfect man for the situation.

Saying you could easily do it with Kobe is like saying Vince McMahon could have easily made another Hulk Hogan. MJ is Hulk Hogan. Kobe is the Ultimate Warrior.

but you can't really say that Kobe wouldn't have been as big as Jordan on the Bulls, because there's no way of knowing...you don't know how Kobe woulda been handled had he been placed in Jordan's shoes. Jordan came in the league at a perfect time, right when marketing took off. I could easily see Kobe being that same way had he been brought into the league under the same circumstances as Jordan...for you to act like that's out of the question is wrong. A huge part of it is a a matter of timing...PeACe

If Jordan never came into the league then and came into it now he may or may not have been as big as he was in the 90s but he would be hands down bigger than anyone else in the NBA. There was so much more to market with that guy. He had a natural charisma that LeBron and Kobe don't have. Someone said about Hulk Hogan; Hogan never would have been as big as he was in the 90s instead of the 80s acting the way he acted but you could pluck Hulk Hogan out of 1985 and put him on 2009 TV and he'd be the biggest star in the company hands down.

Timing is a small factor in the rise of megastars. Take Elvis Presly from 1956, give him a slight make over and have him sing current pop songs and he may not change the world of music in 2009 but he'd make Justin Timberlake and the Jonas Brothers look like clowns.

Kobe simply does not have the it factor that Jordan had. I know you like the guy and all but I'm sorry he doesn't. No Laker ever did. No other NBA player ever did. When you thought basketball you thought MJ. And more so you would think MJ before you even thought basketball. No ther player in the history of the sport would you answer the question "Who is Michael Jordan?" with "He's Michael Jordan". Every other huge star in basket you'd say "he's a basketball player".

I truly think you underestimate how much the media controls peoples view of an individual... you wanna attribute Jordan's status to his charismatic personality, but I see it more as him getting the extra push that gives him that untouchable perception to the general public. It could also be a combination of both, but the fact of the matter is, there's no way to really know 100%...Either way, I'm more concerned with the way a player plays as opposed to the way that player is viewed as an individual, and all I know is that Kobe, on the court, is capable of doing everything Jordan did and maybe even more...PeACe

I truly think you underestimate how much the media is controlled by the peoples views.  Remember, when it comes to the media...the viewers are the customers. The media is the supplier. You only supply what your customers want to see.

As for your last sentence....LOL
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I truly think you underestimate how much the media controls peoples view of an individual... you wanna attribute Jordan's status to his charismatic personality, but I see it more as him getting the extra push that gives him that untouchable perception to the general public. It could also be a combination of both, but the fact of the matter is, there's no way to really know 100%...Either way, I'm more concerned with the way a player plays as opposed to the way that player is viewed as an individual, and all I know is that Kobe, on the court, is capable of doing everything Jordan did and maybe even more...PeACe

I truly think you underestimate how much the media is controlled by the peoples views.  Remember, when it comes to the media...the viewers are the customers. The media is the supplier. You only supply what your customers want to see.

As for your last sentence....LOL

LOL.....sheep.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.

LOL, but you know that LeBron NEVER could have filled Kobe's shoes on the 3peat teams? :laugh:

teecee

LOL, but you know that LeBron NEVER could have filled Kobe's shoes on the 3peat teams? :laugh:

Don't bother pointing out NIK's double standards and contradictions to him......... ;) 

This shit is just too easy, he makes himself look stupid.  The best part is, he comes on here to try and make himself look and feel intelligent, and I actually believe he thinks he is doing that

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
The media simply cannot create a star the level of Jordan, and they cannot create it with Kobe either. If they could, they would. I don't care what endorsements Kobe lost after the scandal. All of them combined weren't worth as much as one Air Jordan commercial.

The media can create Ashton Kutcher. They can't create Jim Carrey. You're either a garaunteed 100 million dollars or you are not.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

because lebron is not yet in the upper echelon with kobe, magic, jordan, etc...what dont u get?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

The media simply cannot create a star the level of Jordan, and they cannot create it with Kobe either. If they could, they would. I don't care what endorsements Kobe lost after the scandal. All of them combined weren't worth as much as one Air Jordan commercial.

The media can create Ashton Kutcher. They can't create Jim Carrey. You're either a garaunteed 100 million dollars or you are not.

kobe is a global icon as it is...already one of the most popular figures in the world...i really dont see anything that would stop him from being Jordan status with that same push Jordan received.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:52:37 PM by Now_I_Know »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before

kobe is a global icon as it is...already one of the most popular figures in the world...i really dont see anything that would stop him from being Jordan status with that same push Jordan received.

I don't see why the NBA, Nike, NBC, etc, wouldn't push him like Jordan if he was the icon he is. it's a conspiracy to make him less popular than Jordan? They don't want to make more money. He just isn't as likable. There is a whiny bitch in him that resonates and people see that. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both bigger stars than Kobe and neither of them are anywhere near Jordan in terms of popularity. The reality is that when Jordan was on top NBA Finals were doing NFL Playoffs TV numbers and topping out with almost a 20.0 rating while Kobe and the Lakers vs The Celtics couldn't even average a 10.0 rating. Jordan doubled the guy in the ratings.

Larry Bird had everything you needed to make a megastar. He was arguably the best guy playing. He was white. A good ol boy. But he didn't have the x factor like Jordan and that's why he never reached the same popularity. You say global icon about Kobe like he's Muhammed Ali. He may not be Ashton Kutcher, but he's not Jim Carrey. Adam Sandler at best.

jeromechickenbone

lol once again a grand conspiracy to keep Kobe down. 

Your logic is backwards.  Jordan got the endorsements and push because the people demanded it.  Kobe doesn't command those endorsements because the people don't demand it. 

Once again, do you honestly believe that all it would take to push Kobe to Jordan status is a marketing push?  You can't be this stupid.  If that was the case, then why the fuck wouldn't he be getting that push?  If Kobe was somehow Jordan status (he's not even close), then advertisers would make billions off of his name and likeness. 

Jordan has it, Kobe doesn't.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Any of ya'll ready to retract your ridiculous "LeBron>Kobe" claims yet?
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »

because lebron is not yet in the upper echelon with kobe, magic, jordan, etc...what dont u get?

what dont you get about the fact that Kobe is not on the same tier as Jordan? lol Everybody else gets this, you dont.  You keep trying to include Kobe in a class he is obviously not, but then claim LeBron isnt on Kobe's level. You dont see your hypocracy?  Even Magic knows that Jordan is on another level compared to the rest of the players...EVER.  Even Bird said Jordan was the best.  Everybody knows it, except for you lol. Bottom line, LeBron won MVP this year because he deserved it. He WAS the most valuable player.  Is there an argument for Kobe this year...or Wade...etc? Yes. But you cant say LeBron won MVP because of media hype with the year he had...and then say Kobe won it last year because he deserved it lol.  Thats the kind of shit that makes u sound like an idiot to everybody here.  Your opinions are a joke, the whole forum laughs at the shit you say. But you still cant see it lol.  Youre just embarassing yourself at this point.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »

what dont you get about the fact that Kobe is not on the same tier as Jordan? lol Everybody else gets this, you dont.  You keep trying to include Kobe in a class he is obviously not, but then claim LeBron isnt on Kobe's level. You dont see your hypocracy?  Even Magic knows that Jordan is on another level compared to the rest of the players...EVER.  Even Bird said Jordan was the best.  Everybody knows it, except for you lol. Bottom line, LeBron won MVP this year because he deserved it. He WAS the most valuable player.  Is there an argument for Kobe this year...or Wade...etc? Yes. But you cant say LeBron won MVP because of media hype with the year he had...and then say Kobe won it last year because he deserved it lol.  Thats the kind of shit that makes u sound like an idiot to everybody here.  Your opinions are a joke, the whole forum laughs at the shit you say. But you still cant see it lol.  Youre just embarassing yourself at this point.

Kobe is not in the same tier as Jordan and Magic? who says, you dumb bitch? "everybody gets this"...ive never even seen anyone make that claim besides your stupid ass. The fact that Kobe doesn't have 3 or 4 MVP awards by now all in its own is a joke...Many people have already acknowledged this...even in the media. Now shut the fuck up and go post about your team for once, dipshit. it's obvious that you hate the Lakers more than you love the Spurs...LOL. :grumpy:

PLANT

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:37 AM »

Kobe is not in the same tier as Jordan and Magic? who says, you dumb bitch? "everybody gets this"...ive never even seen anyone make that claim besides your stupid ass. The fact that Kobe doesn't have 3 or 4 MVP awards by now all in its own is a joke...Many people have already acknowledged this...even in the media. Now shut the fuck up and go post about your team for once, dipshit. it's obvious that you hate the Lakers more than you love the Spurs...LOL. :grumpy:

No, you're wrong.  Everyone knows Kobe is not on the same level as Magic & Michael, or even Bird.  Shit, Shaq is on a higher level than Kobe is (career wise).  Kobes got a way to go before he gets up there with the REAL legends of the game.  Shaq has already proven he could win a title without the Lakers and Kobe, and Kobe has yet to do it (altho it looks like its about to happen)...But dude, Kobe is NOT the end all, and be all of basketball players, I dont know when you are gona figure this out.  Its pretty lame the way you constantly put Kobe on this pedestal you made up for him.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:25 AM »

I don't see why the NBA, Nike, NBC, etc, wouldn't push him like Jordan if he was the icon he is. it's a conspiracy to make him less popular than Jordan? They don't want to make more money. He just isn't as likable. There is a whiny bitch in him that resonates and people see that. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both bigger stars than Kobe and neither of them are anywhere near Jordan in terms of popularity. The reality is that when Jordan was on top NBA Finals were doing NFL Playoffs TV numbers and topping out with almost a 20.0 rating while Kobe and the Lakers vs The Celtics couldn't even average a 10.0 rating. Jordan doubled the guy in the ratings.

Larry Bird had everything you needed to make a megastar. He was arguably the best guy playing. He was white. A good ol boy. But he didn't have the x factor like Jordan and that's why he never reached the same popularity. You say global icon about Kobe like he's Muhammed Ali. He may not be Ashton Kutcher, but he's not Jim Carrey. Adam Sandler at best.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are bigger stars than Kobe? are you joking? LMAOOO. come on, Shallow. you're not an ignorant poster, so don't make ignorant claims. The reason NBA, Nike, ABC, etc doesn't give Kobe the same push is because they're making more money nowadays than they were in the Jordan era by promoting various NBA superstars as opposed to just one. I already explained this many, MANY times. If Kobe were to be given even half the promotion that a LeBron gets, his image would SKYROCKET..But Kobe sells himself, he doesnt need that push. He plays in the biggest market and he's beloved in LA regardless. the NBA realizes that Kobe is a cash cow, even without promotion, so they choose to push LeBron to create another cash cow alongside Kobe...this also makes for better rivalries (ala the Kobe-LeBron puppet commercials) and more interesting story-lines....I dunno why this is so hard to see? Face it, Jordan didn't have a "special charm" that no one else had. What he had was extreme promotion and dickriding by the media and the league...he was the NBA's golden child, and that's all there is to it. He came in at a perfect time and played great basketball. Jordan was just as much a "asshole" as Kobe, if not more. the NBA just had a really good way of masking it for the benefit of the league...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »

No, you're wrong.  Everyone knows Kobe is not on the same level as Magic & Michael, or even Bird.  Shit, Shaq is on a higher level than Kobe is (career wise).  Kobes got a way to go before he gets up there with the REAL legends of the game.  Shaq has already proven he could win a title without the Lakers and Kobe, and Kobe has yet to do it (altho it looks like its about to happen)...But dude, Kobe is NOT the end all, and be all of basketball players, I dont know when you are gona figure this out.  Its pretty lame the way you constantly put Kobe on this pedestal you made up for him.

First of all, Shaq is not on a higher level than Kobe was (careerwise)...Kobe is about to lead his team to a title without Shaq this year, while Shaq will never have the chance to lead his team to a title without Kobe. LOL. Funny how shit works, huh? Just last year Shaq was rappin about how Kobe couldn't do it without him :-X...but that's besides the point. Shaq is in that upper echelon, as is Kobe...there's really no argument against this, and anyone tryna make one is flat out retarded...LOL. Nothing I've said is absurd...it's a common notion in the basketball world, and I dunno why you Kobe haters are so motivated to prove it wrong... :grumpy: