Author Topic: Mixtapes Killed The Rap Star  (Read 342 times)

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
Re: Mixtapes Killed The Rap Star
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:43 AM »
that whole argument is null and void.. Music as a whole not just hip hop .. but as a business i;e no more jobs at labels hardly anymore.. talented ppl out of work, engineers etc. and hard as fuck to release albums with hardly any creative control (unless ur a big name star)

whos to blame  - INTERNET DOWNLOADING.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »
In the 90's record sales were sky high for West Coast rappers, maybe because of the success the big artists were having. But come the year 2000, "mixtapes" started dropping because they were easy to distribute and cheap. Also a lot of artists wernt getting record deals so they started dropping mixtapes.

IMO this poluted the music, big named artists started releasing mixtapes, and by the time their "real albums" dropped, people were used to just downloading their free mixtapes and had so many mixtape tracks, there was no real anticipation for retail albums.

Mixtapes are ok for unknown artists, but the top artists need to just stick to releasing retail music like Jay Z, Kanye,  etc do.

Some artists killed their careers by releasing decent mixtapes.
i think topics like this, have killed the rap star

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:59 AM »
In the 90's record sales were sky high for West Coast rappers, maybe because of the success the big artists were having. But come the year 2000, "mixtapes" started dropping because they were easy to distribute and cheap. Also a lot of artists wernt getting record deals so they started dropping mixtapes.

IMO this poluted the music, big named artists started releasing mixtapes, and by the time their "real albums" dropped, people were used to just downloading their free mixtapes and had so many mixtape tracks, there was no real anticipation for retail albums.

Mixtapes are ok for unknown artists, but the top artists need to just stick to releasing retail music like Jay Z, Kanye,  etc do.

Some artists killed their careers by releasing decent mixtapes.
Don't agree. For one, mixtapes didn't start popping up in 2000. They've been part of the hip-hop scene since the corner bootlegger has been around. Granted, they became the fucking thing to do after 50 blew up but they were there a long, long time before that. Mixtapes have sort of lost their relavance with the rise in popularity of readily-available media sites. Before the days where any piece of music or media was just a click away, mixtapes were a great way to spread music. An excellent promotional tool for the artists.

The reason these artists go the "mixtape" route is there's a lot less politics involved with releasing music through that channel. Releasing album means you have to go through the label with everything and they more or less have final approval on just about everything. With a mixtape, the artist would just hand the material to the DJ and let the streets have it. Again with the role the Internet plays in things these days, it's not what it once was.

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
I Don't Listen To Mixtapes Much Due To The Constant Tagging, But Thats Me.

'EclipZe

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
Ya Boy is a living example... mixtapes ruined his style.

Reprise91

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »
I used to be interested in mixtapes a lot before, but all the tagging became to much of an annoying factor. And I agree with artists putting more effort into their mixtapes then their actual albums. Fuck it everyone should just got independent, record labels have no purpose anymore.

sofdark

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
remember Pap? he ruined his fuckin career. i dont know why rappers fuck with tagging dj's, they dont know shit about the element and yet they call themselves "DJ" hahahahaha