Author Topic: J-Flexx - who been there who done that (Dr. Dre Diss) (1997)  (Read 1148 times)

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: J-Flexx - who been there who done that (Dr. Dre Diss) (1997)
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
Also, the millions thing can be found in his interview with Mr. Makaveli. I use to actually buy into J Flexx's shit until I put two and two together. You never heard Druama or The D.O.C. being uncompensated. He's the only one.

The millionaire thing is over the top but it's more than just J Flexx that Dre pissed off. Check out Sean "Barney" Thomas's discography and how much work he put into all the classics over the years, he wasn't no Death Row employee either, he worked with everyone. D.O.C. was pissed with Dre and bounced. Chris The Glove... All those people Dre had worked with during that time.

Aftermath was Dre's time of starting to give people their dues.. I think a lot if it had to do with the shady shit going on. Here was dissin Eazy E for that type of shit to then do it himself later..

Sean kept working until 2001 on Death Row when his and J Flexx's contract officially expired. He was an artist and producer for Death Row, so it was kind of his job to work with everyone. Sean apparently bit sounds as well according to Erotic D, not to take away from his production skills or anything.  D.O.C. never got slighted on money either, otherwise he wouldn't go back to Dre. He knows Dre is the dude with the cash, and he always kept D.O.C. with it as well as anyone who was an intricate part of his camp. Chris The Glove, Colin Wolfe, etc. really don't have any hard feelings towards Dre because Dre essentially put them on. I've spoken to Chris and Colin a few times, so yeah. Chris, if the money's right, will actually be mixing some stuff for me. Just an interesting tid bit, but yeah no one else complained about money.

They all got their name somewhere in the booklets, so it ain't about writing credit either unless you're D.O.C. However, J Flexx, Sneed, Sean, etc. all got credit and got their money. However, J Flexx was just greedy and I will continue to go by that belief because I know him, I know his people, and I followed this dude for a long time. Trust me, he's the only one who felt slighted for money.

I'm pretty sure Sean Thomas was not a Death Row employee cause he has worked on a lot of non-Death Row stuff during the supposed time period. D.O.C. went back to Dre cause Dre started to give publishing rights to writers when he started 2001, in the old days Dre didn't do that. That's cool if Chris The Glove is satisfied he likely got some cash from the early Aftermath days.

It would one thing if only one person acknowledged shady shit was going on but it was damn near everyone and we all saw the actions of those things too.

Nah, Sean was an employee. That's why he has songs that are his own in the catalog, because he was in a few groups on Death Row and he might have had his own solo thing going on. As of now, he's a country singer. They all acknowledged Dre wasn't writing, but no one called Dre out in regards to cash except J Flexx. They might have called him out on credits, but it wasn't in regards to cash.

Suge must of have been really cool with him to let him work with Warren G on G Funk Era and on The Twinz album, he also produced for a few international artists in '99 and 2000 too. Yeah he's been doing country for a few years now.. but really with the direction rap has gone you either make shit that sounds like Soulja Boy with an autotune or move on. I'm hoping some shit changes soon in those regards.. lol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:42:59 PM by soopapriest »

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Also, the millions thing can be found in his interview with Mr. Makaveli. I use to actually buy into J Flexx's shit until I put two and two together. You never heard Druama or The D.O.C. being uncompensated. He's the only one.

The millionaire thing is over the top but it's more than just J Flexx that Dre pissed off. Check out Sean "Barney" Thomas's discography and how much work he put into all the classics over the years, he wasn't no Death Row employee either, he worked with everyone. D.O.C. was pissed with Dre and bounced. Chris The Glove... All those people Dre had worked with during that time.

Aftermath was Dre's time of starting to give people their dues.. I think a lot if it had to do with the shady shit going on. Here was dissin Eazy E for that type of shit to then do it himself later..

Sean kept working until 2001 on Death Row when his and J Flexx's contract officially expired. He was an artist and producer for Death Row, so it was kind of his job to work with everyone. Sean apparently bit sounds as well according to Erotic D, not to take away from his production skills or anything.  D.O.C. never got slighted on money either, otherwise he wouldn't go back to Dre. He knows Dre is the dude with the cash, and he always kept D.O.C. with it as well as anyone who was an intricate part of his camp. Chris The Glove, Colin Wolfe, etc. really don't have any hard feelings towards Dre because Dre essentially put them on. I've spoken to Chris and Colin a few times, so yeah. Chris, if the money's right, will actually be mixing some stuff for me. Just an interesting tid bit, but yeah no one else complained about money.

They all got their name somewhere in the booklets, so it ain't about writing credit either unless you're D.O.C. However, J Flexx, Sneed, Sean, etc. all got credit and got their money. However, J Flexx was just greedy and I will continue to go by that belief because I know him, I know his people, and I followed this dude for a long time. Trust me, he's the only one who felt slighted for money.

I'm pretty sure Sean Thomas was not a Death Row employee cause he has worked on a lot of non-Death Row stuff during the supposed time period. D.O.C. went back to Dre cause Dre started to give publishing rights to writers when he started 2001, in the old days Dre didn't do that. That's cool if Chris The Glove is satisfied he likely got some cash from the early Aftermath days.

It would one thing if only one person acknowledged shady shit was going on but it was damn near everyone and we all saw the actions of those things too.

Nah, Sean was an employee. That's why he has songs that are his own in the catalog, because he was in a few groups on Death Row and he might have had his own solo thing going on. As of now, he's a country singer. They all acknowledged Dre wasn't writing, but no one called Dre out in regards to cash except J Flexx. They might have called him out on credits, but it wasn't in regards to cash.

Suge must of have been really cool with him to let him work with Warren G on G Funk Era and on The Twinz album, he also produced for a few international artists in '99 and 2000 too. Yeah he's been doing country for a few years now.. but really with the direction rap has gone you either make shit that sounds like Soulja Boy with an autotune or move on. I'm hoping some shit changes soon in those regards.. lol

Of course, but you got to keep in mind - he may have done some work on Warren G's stuff and Twinz's stuff and signed the contract later on down the line. All I know is, I am relatively certain he at least signed some sort of deal there. Also, I know one of the international dudes - his name is Rome. Real cool guy. He's became a Darius Rucker type figure now. I wish he would do some hip hop stuff at least. Yeah, hopefully shit will change.

Blasphemy

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
just a little flashback to 97, with a song by former deathrow artist/producer j-flexx.
he's dissin dre in this song claimin dre took credit for songs that he did, and never payed him.
he says he produced "natural born killerz" , "keep their heads ringin" , "california love" & "been there done that"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZurPxijp2yE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZurPxijp2yE</a>

Remember this, he did this cause he hated Dre leaving Death Row think he did it cause suge was pushing that entire FUCK Dre vibe.

Dre produced California Love, Natural Born Killaz, Keep Their Heads Ringin, and Been There Done that.

He did how ever never wrote for any of them.

Ice Cube/DOC wrote for NBK

Chances of him writing his OG California Love is possible.

Current Cali Love was written by 2pac (for his part) and another ghost Writer (DOC If I remember had left around this time).

Been There Done that is debatable. Chances of him producing not really, him writing is probable.

Keep Their Heads was written by DOC if I remember correct. lol Little high, so if I get it wrong zorry, lol

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
just a little flashback to 97, with a song by former deathrow artist/producer j-flexx.
he's dissin dre in this song claimin dre took credit for songs that he did, and never payed him.
he says he produced "natural born killerz" , "keep their heads ringin" , "california love" & "been there done that"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZurPxijp2yE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZurPxijp2yE</a>

Remember this, he did this cause he hated Dre leaving Death Row think he did it cause suge was pushing that entire FUCK Dre vibe.

Dre produced California Love, Natural Born Killaz, Keep Their Heads Ringin, and Been There Done that.

Current Cali Love was written by 2pac (for his part) and another ghost Writer (DOC If I remember had left around this time).

Been There Done that is debatable. Chances of him producing not really, him writing is probable.

Keep Their Heads was written by DOC if I remember correct. lol Little high, so if I get it wrong zorry, lol

Been There Done That = J Flexx wrote
California Love = Wrote by J Flexx
NBK = Produced by Sneed/Wrote by Flexx
Keep Their Headz Ringing = Wrote by Flexx/Produced by Sneed if I remember correctly.

Plus, Dre paid Sneed for his productions.

Blasphemy

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

Been There Done That = J Flexx wrote
California Love = Wrote by J Flexx
NBK = Produced by Sneed/Wrote by Flexx
Keep Their Headz Ringing = Wrote by Flexx/Produced by Sneed if I remember correctly.

Plus, Dre paid Sneed for his productions.

Cool, lol not really Knowledgable on J Flexx, mostly just the cats I'm into.lol

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »

Keep Their Heads was written by DOC if I remember
correct. lol Little high, so if I get it wrong zorry, lol

Out of those 4 songs..

J Flexx didn't produce any of these songs, he was a song writer. He did write on Been There Done That, Cali Love, Natural Born Killaz, and Keep Their Heads Ringin'. D.O.C. had already bounced by the time those songs were done.

Sean "Barney' Thomas did keyboards at the very least on Cali Love, if you listen to his other works you can hear similarities in the songs. Good ones to listen to are Sho Shot & Lady Heroin (remix).

Sam Sneed was coproducer on Natural Born Killaz and Keep Their Heads Ringin'. Stu Bullard also worked on Keep Their Heads Ringin'.

I think Suge helped influence the vibe but there was a lot of people with a lot of hate for him at that time. I think it was a good wake up call for Dre to be more responsible when he did Aftermath.

... looks like Toreno beat me.. lol

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »

Keep Their Heads was written by DOC if I remember
correct. lol Little high, so if I get it wrong zorry, lol

Out of those 4 songs..

J Flexx didn't produce any of these songs, he was a song writer. He did write on Been There Done That, Cali Love, Natural Born Killaz, and Keep Their Heads Ringin'. D.O.C. had already bounced by the time those songs were done.

Sean "Barney' Thomas did keyboards at the very least on Cali Love, if you listen to his other works you can hear similarities in the songs. Good ones to listen to are Sho Shot & Lady Heroin (remix).

Sam Sneed was coproducer on Natural Born Killaz and Keep Their Heads Ringin'. Stu Bullard also worked on Keep Their Heads Ringin'.

I think Suge helped influence the vibe but there was a lot of people with a lot of hate for him at that time. I think it was a good wake up call for Dre to be more responsible when he did Aftermath.

... looks like Toreno beat me.. lol

Something tells me Bud'da might have done a bit of work on Cali Love as well, because he did the outro beat for the video. I know Stu did a lot of stuff as well, he's apparently the co-producer of the DR version of Blunt Tyme. I wouldn't doubt Sean was doing work on it as well considering he fell right in with Dre's camp at the time.

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »

Something tells me Bud'da might have done a bit of work on Cali Love as well, because he did the outro beat for the video. I know Stu did a lot of stuff as well, he's apparently the co-producer of the DR version of Blunt Tyme. I wouldn't doubt Sean was doing work on it as well considering he fell right in with Dre's camp at the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stu worked on the remix version, matches his style of work.

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
From a J Flex interview:

As a ghost writer did you get credit for the stuff you did with Dr. Dre?

JF: The thing was some of the stuff I got credit for and some I didn't. I came in game and I was green. I ain't putting the blame on nobody but myself. Because I came in the game I was green and star struck. A lot of times I was writing the stuff and I might get five or ten thousand dollars. I thought I was getting over on them. So I wasn't saying shit. They just paid me ten thousand dollars for fifteen minutes. I'm thinking I'm getting over on them. But really I might be getting ten thousand. But they're getting one hundred and fifty thousand. If I can give any advice to anybody out there getting in the game. I'd tell them two things. Number 1) Get your paperwork straight. Know the business before you even try to play with this shit. Number 2) don't get star struck. I don't care who you're working with in the business stay the same. You can get it out here and they'll get you. It's just like the dope game. I got credit for most of them after the fact. I had to a lot of fighting and wound up getting a lot of stuff. I lost a lot of stuff too. For instance California Love I'm not listed on there. Mostly because there is a lot of samples in that song; Roger [Troutman], Joe Cocker and everybody else who was sampled in that song. Came in and ate all that publishing up. Do it without the sample man if you can. They going to get they piece too. You are using their work. I would recommend to all those young producers out there. If you can make a hit with out the sample make it. With Keep their Heads Ringing I get paid every time Friday gets played on TV I get a check. Natural Born Killers I didn't get the proper credit for that. You know what that was the first song that I wrote and chalk that up to the game. That was my entrée in. Initially it was a Dre and Sam Sneed song and Ice Cube came in and said let me do the hook. Next thing you know Ice Cube says I got a verse for this. Then it became a Ice Cube and Dr. Dre song. To compensate Sam Sneed they let him have his own song on the soundtrack which was U Better Recognize. There is an original version which is Sam Sneed and Dre of Natural Born Killers, but I don't know who got it. Same thing with California Love Dr. Dre originally had three verses on there. Then 2pac got out of jail and they played it for him. And he wanted to get on it. By the way 2pac was the most prolific artist I've ever worked with or seen. He could do a song in 15 minutes, write it and spit it.  Then he was on to the next one. He was a beast.

How was the production process working with Dr. Dre, Sam Sneed, and Ice Cube for Natural Born Killers and Keep their Heads Ringing?

JF: It was a good vibe in the studio. They just collaborated and bring in musicians. Put stuff here and there. Brought girls in and passed them around. They made the vibe right. A Death Row studio session was like a party. You had the girls, bud, and Hennessey. It was some good times. Sometimes I'd be hanging at the studio and I didn't have to be recording. Same thing with Keep their Heads Ringing I think we recorded that at Dr. Dre's crib. He had a 48 track studio in his crib.

I read that Sam Sneed was behind the boards on both Natural Born Killers and Keep their Heads Ringing?

JF: Yeah! Sam Sneed did the basic beat for both of them. Then Dr. Dre came in and added a bunch of stuff to it. Sam Sneed had the basic beats already up and running.