Author Topic: 2011 NFL lockout "quite possible".  (Read 212 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
2011 NFL lockout "quite possible".
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4887844

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The question to DeMaurice Smith was simple, coming from Cincinnati receiver Chad Ochocinco, asking how serious he viewed the possibility of football not being played in 2011.

Smith did not hesitate.

"On a scale of 1 to 10," Smith said Thursday, "it's a 14."

With that, the executive director of the NFL Players Association painted perhaps the bleakest picture yet regarding prospects of labor strife in the league, which could be looking at a 2010 season with no salary cap and, if the collective bargaining agreement expires as scheduled in March 2011, a lockout that year.

"I keep coming back to an economic model in America that is unparalleled," said Smith, who often repeated phrases for emphasis. "And that makes it incredibly difficult to then come to players and say, on average, each of you needs to take a $340,000 pay cut to save the National Football League. Tough sell. Tough sell."

Smith said the NFL would receive $5 billion from its network television deals even if no games are played in 2011. He regarded that as proof owners are preparing for a lockout.

FUCK THAT SHIT! >:(

i demand NFL play lol.

Lunatic

Re: 2011 NFL lockout "quite possible".
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
best not be no mutha fuckin NFL lockout lol
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
what will we do withourselves

thisoneguy360

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »
Pro sports never cease to amaze me..

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
Pro sports never cease to amaze me..

i hate when they bitch about money.

i mean like, they don't even deserve all that much to begin with & they bitch over a few million less than they already make. :grumpy:

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
damn this might get crazy

so they are doin this cuz the players want money....more money and the owners dont want to pay em that much?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
Actually it's reverse. Right now the players want to keep things the way they are. Owners right now want to cut salaries and earn more money. Here's the thing, even in the Great Rescission, the NFL is seeing huge profit growth. So the players are like, money is coming in, why should I get a pay cut, and owners are like, we need to make a billion dollars more.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
cool
greedy owners
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
I hope this isn't the turning point where football starts to decline like baseball did after the strike.

The key issue for me, and it should be for you to MDogg (being in Minnesota), is that the NFL keeps it's market sharing and salary cap in place so that small market teams can still compete.  My biggest fear is that you will have a situation like you have in Major League baseball where the Kansas City Royals can only afford a $60 Million dollar payroll, while the New York Yankees maintain a $180 Million dollar payroll.

...also, it would be nice if the fans were able to organize a strike, that would really change things for the better.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »
I hope this isn't the turning point where football starts to decline like baseball did after the strike.

The key issue for me, and it should be for you to MDogg (being in Minnesota), is that the NFL keeps it's market sharing and salary cap in place so that small market teams can still compete.  My biggest fear is that you will have a situation like you have in Major League baseball where the Kansas City Royals can only afford a $60 Million dollar payroll, while the New York Yankees maintain a $180 Million dollar payroll.

...also, it would be nice if the fans were able to organize a strike, that would really change things for the better.

That is part of the dispute, owners like Jerry Jones has came out personally and said that he hates the idea of the Vikings (mentioned them by name) getting as much as he does and being able to compete with him well he runs a bigger market team. This Lock Out could turn the NFL on it's head, and for the worst.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »

That is part of the dispute, owners like Jerry Jones has came out personally and said that he hates the idea of the Vikings (mentioned them by name) getting as much as he does and being able to compete with him well he runs a bigger market team. This Lock Out could turn the NFL on it's head, and for the worst.

Exactly, I'm glad you see how big a deal this is.  Word is that the owners are actually holding things up amongst themselves, as you mentioned.  It would help if they could come to an agreement amongst each other first, then it would be more likely to strike a deal with the players union.  As a Kansas City Chiefs and Royals fan for so many years; my main worry is over what the owners are going to agree on.   I love baseball but it's hard to take the Royals seriously when their payroll is only 1/3 the size of the major market teams.

And I hate the argument that it doesn't make a difference, and that sometimes teams throw all kinds of money and don't get results (like the Washington Redskins) while other teams spend very little and remain competitive (like the Minnesota Twins).  Because all that is saying is that if there was market sharing and the Minnesota Twins were put on an equal playing field as the Yankees, then they would have been able to add those one or two free agents each year and maybe they would be dominating and winning championships every years instead of just being "competitive".
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Bananas

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »
There won't be a lockout let's stop being silly. For every industry there's scab workers.

Sparegeez

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:33:55 AM »
pathetic if this shit really happens