Author Topic: Why do you need 5 innings for a "Win"?  (Read 231 times)

herpes

Re: Why do you need 5 innings for a "Win"?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
I think you should need 5 innings to take get loss too.  That makes just about as much sense to me. 
LOL!!! that makes ZERO Sense

i have to agree with that.

what if a pitcher gives up 11 runs in 1/3 of an inning? he should lose that game lol.

Any variation of the W-L stat will still have problems.  How about you just dismiss the people that solely rely on how good a pitcher is based on their number of wins?  I've been doing this for years. 

ERA is the stat to look at.

SMH

enlighten me Tommy. :laugh:

There is so much more to a pitcher than just ERA in this day and age.  Don't get me wrong ERA is still a key element in gauging a pitchers sucess but over the past 10 other stats have become just as important.  ERA can be very misleading if you don't look at his other peripherals which can show potential trends which tells you where a pitcher may end up in the long run and by long run I mean season.  And more times than not is spot on most of the time.  Of course exceptions to the rules do exist.  But that is really looking deep into.  Where look at a stat that is just as important as ERA.  WHIP has become just as important as ERA.  Do you know what WHIP is ?

yeah, add the hits & walks & divide it by the number of innings pitched. acceptional enough, master?

if Tim Lincecum gave up 3 hits every inning of every game & then got out of the jam every single time & his ERA read 0.00, i wouldn't hold his WHIP against him lol.

ERA is just straight up, how many runs do you give up? it wins ball games (not statistcally), but for the team; i find that more valuable than having impressing WHIP stats, sorry master. :-\

Do you read ?  I said exceptions to the rule do exist.  More times than not though that will eventually catch up with a pitcher.  And the example you gave is really c'mon.  I don't know why I argue you with you.  i tried to come at you just now like an adult and you gotta act like a 10 year old... master.... really ?

"do you know what WHIP is darling?"

i was under the assumption i was a 10 year old. :laugh:

anyway, it was just exaggeration that WHIP can be broken & not mean as much as ERA, it's not like i signed it off as "pointless" lol.

point being, i'd rather have the guy with the 2.50 ERA & 2.50 WHIP than the guy who has a 3.35 ERA & a 2.15 WHIP.

therefore ERA > WHIP, in my opinion (that means shit anyway lol).

Yet so much more goes into it than just that.  But I'm done arguing with you because it's obvious you do have the mentality of a 10 year old.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
I think you should need 5 innings to take get loss too.  That makes just about as much sense to me. 
LOL!!! that makes ZERO Sense

what if a pitcher gives up 11 runs in 1/3 of an inning? he should lose that game lol.

Any variation of the W-L stat will still have problems.  How about you just dismiss the people that solely rely on how good a pitcher is based on their number of wins?  I've been doing this for years. 

ERA is the stat to look at.

SMH

enlighten me Tommy. :laugh:

There is so much more to a pitcher than just ERA in this day and age.  Don't get me wrong ERA is still a key element in gauging a pitchers sucess but over the past 10 other stats have become just as important.  ERA can be very misleading if you don't look at his other peripherals which can show potential trends which tells you where a pitcher may end up in the long run and by long run I mean season.  And more times than not is spot on most of the time.  Of course exceptions to the rules do exist.  But that is really looking deep into.  Where look at a stat that is just as important as ERA.  WHIP has become just as important as ERA.  Do you know what WHIP is ?

yeah, add the hits & walks & divide it by the number of innings pitched. acceptional enough, master?

if Tim Lincecum gave up 3 hits every inning of every game & then got out of the jam every single time & his ERA read 0.00, i wouldn't hold his WHIP against him lol.

ERA is just straight up, how many runs do you give up? it wins ball games (not statistcally), but for the team; i find that more valuable than having impressing WHIP stats, sorry master. :-\

Do you read ?  I said exceptions to the rule do exist.  More times than not though that will eventually catch up with a pitcher.  And the example you gave is really c'mon.  I don't know why I argue you with you.  i tried to come at you just now like an adult and you gotta act like a 10 year old... master.... really ?

"do you know what WHIP is darling?"

i was under the assumption i was a 10 year old. :laugh:

anyway, it was just exaggeration that WHIP can be broken & not mean as much as ERA, it's not like i signed it off as "pointless" lol.

point being, i'd rather have the guy with the 2.50 ERA & 2.50 WHIP than the guy who has a 3.35 ERA & a 2.15 WHIP.

therefore ERA > WHIP, in my opinion (that means shit anyway lol).

Yet so much more goes into it than just that.

good to know.

EDIT: just kind of laughed, because now that i think of it, it didn't really matter which i said lol.

if i came in here & said "WHIP is the stat to look at", you would have STILL came in here & said SMH & go on to tell me how ERA is important, blah, blah, blah.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:48:23 PM by Chamillitary Click »

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »

It's not really any more outrageous that the situation that I said before where one pitcher can throw over 4 innings of perfect baseball and other pitch 1/3 of an inning and let up tons of runs yet get the win.  Or the situation in the Cubs game the other night.  It's just silly to have any minimum number of innings required to get a W. 

Out of the "basic" stats I like ERA, WHIP & K/9. 
The more complex stats like WAR (Wins Above Replacement (player) and WPA (Wins Probability Added) are probably even more telling stats about a players value.

It just sucks when you have all these (Cy Young) voters that value such a ridiculous stat like "wins" and the award really doesn't go to the best pitcher in the league like it's meant to. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
^what's the problem that the pitcher can't throw another inning?

i'm not trying to defend that you have to pitch five.

i would suggest that situations like that should be placed under review or something for the win, but how often does that happen? where a pitcher is on a roll & comes out before the 5th?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

i would suggest that situations like that should be placed under review or something for the win, but how often does that happen? where a pitcher is on a roll & comes out before the 5th?

I dunno, the guy pulled his groin and they had to take him out.  Just a possible scenario of how absurd the rule is. 
You see closers sometimes come in and blow the save in the top of the 9th, the team comes back in the bottom.  He gets the BS and a "W". 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »

I dunno, the guy pulled his groin and they had to take him out.  Just a possible scenario of how absurd the rule is. 
You see closers sometimes come in and blow the save in the top of the 9th, the team comes back in the bottom.  He gets the BS and a "W". 

yeah, that's a silly rule.

but i guess it's why stats shouldn't matter; just all depends if your team wins or loses.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:05:06 AM »
YEAH LINCY WAS A BAD EXAMPLE, HES THE EXCEPTION TO EVERY RULE

The Best of 3 Worlds