Author Topic: Weed icon, Jack Herer, dies at age 70...  (Read 111 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Weed icon, Jack Herer, dies at age 70...
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
Breaking: Jack Herer, Emperor of Hemp, marijuana hero, dead

September 18, 2:02 PM
Portland Progressive Examiner
Michael Stone

According to a source close to the family, Jack Herer, much beloved Emperor of Hemp, is dead. The marijuana hero collapsed backstage on Saturday, September 15, at "Hempstalk 2009" in Portland, Oregon. Herer had just given a fiery speech to the crowd on the future of hemp when he suffered a heart attack and a significant loss of oxygen. Herer died today, September 18, at Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

Jack Herer was born June 18, 1939. A former Goldwater Republican, Herer became a political activist and the author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes, a book which is now a classic polemic in the effort to decriminalize marijuana. Herer was perhaps the world's most famous activist for the decriminalization of marijuana and the utilization of hemp.

Herer argued for the decriminalization and utilization of marijuana because it has been shown to be a renewable source of fuel, food, and medicine, and can be grown in virtually any part of the world. Herer was one of the first to show that the U.S. government deliberately hides the proof of marijuana's efficacy and utility. Herer devoted his life in support of cannabis, hemp and marijuana.

Herer suffered a stroke and heart attack in 2000 at another Oregon event. Although he had since recovered, the 70-year-old activist spoke with a stutter and walked with a limp. Just minutes before his speech, Herer looked fit and said, "I'm getting better and better and better. I'm healthier than I've been..."

Herer was a true American hero who spoke truth to power. He stood up for freedom while many others failed to do so. He will be missed.

We love you Jack.

Free the weed!

Jack Herer had some fire sativa named after him, as well...this is definitely a big loss to the mmj community...RIP 8)

El the Self Image

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • It's 10:30 somewhere!
Re: Weed icon, Jack Herer, dies at age 70...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
Damn Jack, definately gotta put one in the air for you....
Peace and Blessings,
-Él the Self Image
Parkin Lot Drunks!
eltheself@gmail.com
http://www.myspace.com/eltheself
http://www.myspace.com/imapld

FREE MIXTAPE, OUT NOW, GET IT!

thisoneguy360

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
I'll smoke a blunt for Jack, RIP

Cali Climate

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Damn, I remember reading about him in the cannabible, then smoking a strain named after him. RIP