Author Topic: UCLA students watched in horror as male classmate slashed the throat of a female  (Read 496 times)

Sikotic™

Students in the UCLA science lab described the horrifying moments this afternoon when a male classmate slashed the throat of a female student, who was critically injured.

One student who was inside the lab when the attack occurred shortly after noon told The Times that he looked up as the assailant appeared to repeatedly punch the victim. Then the man calmly turned and walked away as the victim lay bleeding profusely.

More photos Law enforcement sources said some type of verbal altercation occurred just before the attack, but the relationship, if any, between the assailant and the victim was unclear. 

Witnesses said they saw a woman staggering out of the sixth-floor Young Hall lab with a teacher's assistant applying pressure to her bloody neck moments after the attack, which was reported at 12:21 p.m.

The victim, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where she apparently was undergoing surgery.

The suspected assailant  was taken into custody by UCLA police, who sealed off Young Hall, home of the school's chemistry department. Police said they don't know of any motive for the attack.

"We have asked students to stay away from Young Hall," said UCLA police spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

The attack apparently took place between class sessions in an organic chemistry lab on the top floor of Young Hall.

The undergraduate level lab, known as 30CL, enrolls about a dozen students and is usually led by teaching assistants. It is part of a class for about 60 students that is overseen by lecturer Alfred Bacher, according to department officials.

Bacher, who joined the UCLA faculty in 2001 after work as a postdoctoral fellow there, could not be reached for comment.

By at least one account of a chemistry department employee who asked not to be identified, the assailant turned himself in to a campus employee in a third-floor reception and mail room area in the building.

UCLA chemistry professor Robin Garrell, who is chairwoman of the UCLA campuswide Faculty Senate, was leaving her fourth-floor office in Young Hall when she saw emergency crews wheeling out the victim on a stretcher on the ground floor.

Students and faculty “are obviously very shaken” by the incident, Garrell said. “It’s very shocking.”

Psychological counselors were on the scene to help students cope with the situation, she said.

Two hours later,  traumatized students who witnessed the attack, still in their lab coats, lined the sixth floor, waiting to be interviewed by detectives. Many of their personal possessions, including books and keys to their cars and residences, remained behind in the lab room that had become a crime scene.

[Updated at 4:45 p.m.: UCLA campus spokesperson Carol Stogsdill said she had no information past behavioral record of the alleged assailant and that she had heard of no reports of any previous trouble in the class or between the two students. She said that both students were seniors and 20 years old and that their identities were being withheld by police.

Chemistry department vice chairman Peter Felker said he did not know any of the students in the class and that the department had not received any reports of trouble in the lab or complaints about the alleged assailant’s past behavior.

“Nothing that I’m aware of,” he said. UCLA biochemistry professor Sabeeha Merchant was close to the crime scene soon after the stabbing and praised the other students and faculty who came to the aid of the victim and alerted police.

“They were responsible and calm and really helped,” she said.

Merchant and others described the mood in Young Hall as stunned. “People are shocked that something like that would happen. But because we are at the university doesn’t mean we are immune from what goes on in the rest of the world. This could happen in a restaurant or a shopping mall,” Merchant said.]

—Spencer Weiner and Anthony Pesce at UCLA, Andrew Blankstein and Larry Gordon in Los Angeles
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
fer shizzle, i always wanted to say that

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
daaaaamn

daaaaaaaaaaaaammmnnn

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Cali Climate

He sure did slash any doubt over who's skills were sharper.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

:grumpy:

Sikotic™

I got a class in that same building lol.

It's gonna be a pain in the ass when I gotta go there tomorrow. Police and security are gonna be all over the place.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Muhfukka

It's gonna be a pain in the ass when I gotta go there tomorrow. Police and security are gonna be all over the place.
you planned this didnt you

G-Funk

you planned this didnt you

Lol, Elior.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
where were you this morning, sik?

i told yall this nigga was the inspiration for dexter.   :sombrero:

Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Sikotic™

None of yo bidness!

LOL, but for real. I shoulda made this a poll, but I'll ask the question anyways:

What race do you think the guy was that stabbed the bitch?

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Muhfukka

None of yo bidness!

LOL, but for real. I shoulda made this a poll, but I'll ask the question anyways:

asian

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Asian.  

Sikotic™

Asian is a safe bet, but because I see mad Persians in that building at all hours of the day, I'm gonna take a chance and say Persian.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Moe

white

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

None of yo bidness!

Armenian Black whatever Lights is... oh... Armenian