Author Topic: MC Lyte Interview  (Read 64 times)

Lunatic

MC Lyte Interview
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/2025/54/

Raptalk.Net hooked up with legendary female MC, MC Lyte for an exclusive interview. When hooking up with such a classic artist, classic questions need to be asked from the get go. How is discussing "I Cram to Understand U" as a classic, opening question?

Lyte goes on to discuss the epic storytelling of that track and her reaction to when it began to blow up and gain respect and notoriety. Is that missing from hip-hop today? We certainly posed that question towards MC Lyte!

For those who are unaware, MC Lyte has an upcoming show on BET titled "Hollywood Treatment" with a list of celebrities appearing and hosting it; read on to see which other female star will be hosting the inaugural episode!

Charles Hamilton is the first cousin of MC Lyte, so which advice has Lyte given to Charles and his career? Find out, and much more!

Enjoy...

Read Full Interview Here:
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/2025/54/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:31:29 PM by Lunatic 63 »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

Re: MC Lyte Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »
Raptalk.Net: Did you realize “I Cram to Understand U” was going to become as big as it did?

MC Lyte: I certainly did not.

Raptalk.Net: What was your reaction when it became that big?

MC Lyte: I guess it was a good feeling because I had the lyrics written forever. I had them so long that I felt like wow, I finally got this record out and it did something. I was very proud of it.

Raptalk.Net: With it being such a deep, storytelling type of track; do you think that’s lacking today in hip-hop?

MC Lyte: No, I think there are stories told all over the place. Whether they get air time on regular radio, it may not but I listen to a lot of satellite radio and I hear stories all the time.

Raptalk.Net: So you think radio is to blame for the lack of conscious hip-hop in the mainstream?

MC Lyte: Not necessarily. I think the radio sort of pushes and promotes what the labels give them. I think it’s just out there and you have to find it. You gotta’ get on the internet and find it. Satellite radio has it but given the circumstances, I’m always able to find the kind of hip-hop that makes me happy. I’m not putting the blame on anyone.

Raptalk.Net: I guess that the listeners have to go out and look for more of it?

MC Lyte: Well you’re saying that, I already said what I said.

Raptalk.Net: (Laughs). Tell our readers about the “Hollywood Treatment” show with Mary J. Blige on BET.

MC Lyte: I can’t really talk too much about that which sucks because it doesn’t air until January 2010 but it’s a great show. I host the show and Mary J. Blige is on the first episode. Once we get into the other episodes is when you’ll see more celebrities as they begin to get in contact with people who really need their services as it relates to whatever it is they promote with their particular organization or foundation, all of their humanitarian works. It all gets to be show cased here on this show as we help young teens get from point A to point B.

Raptalk.Net: As you said, Mary J. Blige is on the first episode. Can you divulge any information on other guests on the show?

MC Lyte: No but you know what? We have a list of them. There are so many entertainers who have now decided…well not at this point but at some point in their career, they may have decided that they wanna’ give back so this show is just in existence right now. But there are some of these celebrities who have had their foundations for so many years and have been helping people in the community, but now we get to actually see it happening and see it at work.

Raptalk.Net: Give us the lowdown on your group “Almost September.”

MC Lyte: The group is no longer new; we’ve been around for about a year and a half now. It’s three of us and there are two producers and then I as the MC and one of the producers sing and the other producer rap, and we all write. It just felt like a safe space to create. We were able to create quite a bit of music and we’ve had KRS-One on a few songs, Big Daddy Kane, India. Arie, Sleepy Brown and more. We’re very proud of the work.

Raptalk.Net: After such a long and illustrious solo career, what made you want to get into a group situation?

MC Lyte: Well I love collaborative efforts. I think some of the best work I’ve ever done comes out of that, everybody collaborating and looking for the best product by the end of the production. It felt like home.

Raptalk.Net: What type of advice have you given your cousin Charles Hamilton? What do you think of him as an MC?

MC Lyte: I think he is very gifted as an MC as well as a producer. He plays everything; guitar, drums, keyboards – he really gets busy when it comes to the production side of things. Advice, I just tell him to tell the truth and that’s what he does.  He keeps integrity with the music and I think people respect him for his ability to stay honest on his songs.

Raptalk.Net: Are there any MC Lyte and Charles Hamilton collaborations coming up?

MC Lyte: Totally. We’ve had some on the internet already. We had a song called “Closer.” We’ve also had a song called “Loading” and “New York City Girl.” We also have an EP called “Florescent” that when it’s time, will put it out.

Raptalk.Net: And what’s the status of your upcoming solo album?

MC Lyte: You know, I’m working on it right now. Production is happening and in the mean time we’re going to keep allowing songs to go on the internet so people can familiarize themselves with what I do best. When it’s time for the record, I’ll be ecstatic and hopefully the people will love it.

Raptalk.Net: Which label are you working with for the project?

MC Lyte: DMG – Dubose Music Group. And right now we’re working out a deal with EMI so hopefully if EMI can give us all that we’re requiring, will roll with them and if not, will find some other major channel so that we can have the record everywhere.

Raptalk.Net: And you wanted to become an author so do you have any books in the works right now?

MC Lyte: I have a book called “Just My Take” that’s available at several different outlets on the internet. It’s not a book that was published by a house; it was published by me. It’s a self-published book and it’s comprised of poems, short stories and words of wisdom; everything that I felt like I wanted to say.

Raptalk.Net: Being a story telling type of MC and an author are two similar and interesting concepts but also very different as I’m sure you found out. What’s been the largest difference you encountered so far?

MC Lyte: Right. Well you know what the book I didn’t worry about rhyming the words together. It wasn’t per say a story about someone; it was just my thoughts which reflect in the title “Just My Take.” It’s not law or what you should think; it’s just my take on it. We’re writing stories for songs; it’s a bit different when taking people on a journey and trying to create the pictures so that they can see all the pieces vividly.

Raptalk.Net: What do you think of the New York hip-hop scene right now?

MC Lyte: Oh man, wow. You have a lot of MC’s but not just in New York, all over the world. You have people that have the skill and the truth is, there are a lot of people that rhyme well. So now it’s about finding those artists that do it at such at tip tower of what already exists which certainly is something to take a look at. With New York hip-hop, it’s just like it was back in the day for those who are living now. You’ll find people who say “hip-hop didn’t stay the same in New York and the vibe is not the same” but no, that was a different time and era. If you ask these teenagers who are growing up with hip-hop now and everything is love; they love it.

Raptalk.Net: Do you have any up and coming favorite artists out right now?

MC Lyte: I like Mayday. She is a female MC out in Detroit. I think what she has to say is awesome and dope. I love her flow and her content. She is conscious and means to be awake and aware, and reporting.

Raptalk.Net: At 37, do you have retirement in sight?

MC Lyte: (Laughs) I don’t think about that. I’m day to day and I’m here.

Raptalk.Net: So you’re more of a spur of the moment type person?

MC Lyte: No, not even spur of the moment. I’m just in the moment. I’m here in this moment with you. Sure, I have many things to do this evening as soon as we get off this phone, but if I think about those then I can’t really be in this presence time with you. I’m here so I try to treat every day just like that and it brings me closer to whatever the moment is going to be with anything I do.

Raptalk.Net: I like that right there. Thanks a whole lot for your time MC Lyte. We hope that everybody on Raptalk.Net…

MC Lyte: Thank you so much for re-scheduling. I appreciate that. Thank you.

Raptalk.Net: I understand it was a bit of a misunderstanding so I gladly took whatever other time you had available.

MC Lyte: Thank you.

Raptalk.Net: And thank you for your time. Do you have any last words before I let you go?

MC Lyte: Yeah, just for the people looking for me on www.twitter.com/mclyte and I’m on MySpace, Imeem and several different places just living on the internet. Also check out www.hiphopsisters.com which is a network for women who DJ, MC, photographers and journalists – come visit us.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:31:38 PM by Lunatic 63 »

the ghost

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
MC Lyte to me will always be the GOAT female rapper.  Her shit sounds fresh today even.

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
MC Lyte to me will always be the GOAT female rapper.  Her shit sounds fresh today even.
No doubt! Did U read the interview?