Author Topic: Computer upgrade  (Read 306 times)

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Computer upgrade
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »
The i5 series gives you the most bang for your buck, even though I opted for i7 920 myself.
i5 are priced very aggressive, and can be considered a bargain.. would have bought i5 instead of any Phenom.. I used to like AMD, but they can't hang in the CPU-market any more.

They're not bad by any means, but i5 will give you much more for your money, in nearly the same price-range.

why do you say that it cant hang in the CPU market anymore? the reviews says the CPU is alright. Intel i5 quad 2.66GHz is 25$ more than AMD quad 3GHz on newegg.ca (where im thinking of buying all my stock, is newegg good btw?). And im upgrading my computer because its all fucked up and i want an efficient one but im tryin to pay the less possible.

Seems like that motherboard is made for DDR2 RAM, slower than the DDR3 you suggested.
Would have chosen a newer motherboard with DDR3 support, and highly consider a Intel i5 set-up..

the mobo is DDR2 & DDR3 compatible. what i wanted to know was about the PC3 16000 thing that i dont know anything about. compatibility is only about DDR2 or DDR2+ or DDR3 ?

Depends on how much effect your PSU is capable of.. 500W should do in most cases for regular users.

my PSU is 430W. but i let my computer ran almost 24/7 // 365 for 4-5 years. When ill upgrade i wont even get a video card since im not a big gamer, ill probably get one later on and buy a new PSU if i need more power. But for the moment, having only a dvd burner, couple fans, 4-5 HDDs and i guess thats about it, i guess that would be enough, but i dont want my hdds to fail so im considering getting a new PSU now just to make sure.. i dont know though, im askin for advice. If the PSU didnt fuck up yet can i use it for some time still or am i better getting a new one right now?

thanks a lot again for the info/feedback, its appreciated. i want to order parts as soon as possible since now im stuck with my old machine and it sucks, a lot.
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

Jome

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
why do you say that it cant hang in the CPU market anymore? the reviews says the CPU is alright. Intel i5 quad 2.66GHz is 25$ more than AMD quad 3GHz on newegg.ca (where im thinking of buying all my stock, is newegg good btw?). And im upgrading my computer because its all fucked up and i want an efficient one but im tryin to pay the less possible.

the mobo is DDR2 & DDR3 compatible. what i wanted to know was about the PC3 16000 thing that i dont know anything about. compatibility is only about DDR2 or DDR2+ or DDR3 ?

my PSU is 430W. but i let my computer ran almost 24/7 // 365 for 4-5 years. When ill upgrade i wont even get a video card since im not a big gamer, ill probably get one later on and buy a new PSU if i need more power. But for the moment, having only a dvd burner, couple fans, 4-5 HDDs and i guess thats about it, i guess that would be enough, but i dont want my hdds to fail so im considering getting a new PSU now just to make sure.. i dont know though, im askin for advice. If the PSU didnt fuck up yet can i use it for some time still or am i better getting a new one right now?

thanks a lot again for the info/feedback, its appreciated. i want to order parts as soon as possible since now im stuck with my old machine and it sucks, a lot.

Intel left AMD behind performance-wise.. $25 more is worth it, imo, but if you're looking to save some cash, the AMD will do too.. most AMD-reviews doesn't mention i5, since it just came about.
Don't know about Newegg, but I think they're supposed to be cheap.

About RAM on this mobo, found this:

They also have memory controllers that support both DDR2-1066MHz and DDR3-1333MHz system memory. The result is you should, in theory, be able to use the new AM3 CPUs in existing AM2+ motherboards, just with the limitation that you'll only be able to use the DDR2 memory that these older motherboards support. Oh, and you'll almost certainly need to update your motherboard's BIOS.
Four 240-pin DDR3 memory slots supporting 1,066 to 1,600MHz DIMMs up to 16GB in total

So I guess it supports DDR3, even though some sites say it only support DDR2.

The PSU will probably do, especially if you have no video-card, though 4-5 HDD's will draw some power, you should be ok.

the ghost

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
New Egg is awesome.  Great prices, and support.