Author Topic: Jay-Z Compares Auto-Tuning Rappers to Hair Metal Bands  (Read 459 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Jay-Z Compares Auto-Tuning Rappers to Hair Metal Bands
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
This guy really needs to pick his battles. Comparing auto-tune to glam-metal is silly. There was plenty of rock and roll to go around in the 80s. There was just as much new wave and synth stuff as hair metal. Then there was that whole heartland rock stuff. By the late 80s U2 and REM were getting big. Then the Seattle scene came along and the whole scene changed. Plus, all of that stuff was way bigger than auto-tune in hip hop. He makes it seem like every rapper raps most of his verses using it. And if it were like glam then the end result would be a good thing; an alternative sub culture of hip hop would emerge from it and huge albums would start coming out. But no way would that be started by an old fogey like Jay Z. It'd have been like Jimmy Page or Paul McCartney coming out in 1987 and saying this needs to stop, we need to create a a better artform. It'll take new young guys like Michael Stipe, Cobain, or Vedder to put an end to auto-tune, not Jay Z.

Of course before those guys very made it big there was guys like Black Francis, Paul Westerberg, and Thurston Moore laying down the ground work and getting zero credit or attention. I'm not so keen on the new hip hop scene, so if anyone can show me who the current Thurston Moore's or Paul Westerberg's are then we can see what the next rap Cobain is going to sound like.
i loooove pixies and replacements, but i cant get into sonic youth, any recommendations on songs or albums, its weird, i feel like i should like them but it just doesnt happen

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
He also said that Fergie's big girls dont cry was a great song and that he wasnt afraid to sing along to it at the gym. His new album is also devoid of any mood or emotion except for empire state. He can kiss ass. .
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
This guy really needs to pick his battles. Comparing auto-tune to glam-metal is silly. There was plenty of rock and roll to go around in the 80s. There was just as much new wave and synth stuff as hair metal. Then there was that whole heartland rock stuff. By the late 80s U2 and REM were getting big. Then the Seattle scene came along and the whole scene changed. Plus, all of that stuff was way bigger than auto-tune in hip hop. He makes it seem like every rapper raps most of his verses using it. And if it were like glam then the end result would be a good thing; an alternative sub culture of hip hop would emerge from it and huge albums would start coming out. But no way would that be started by an old fogey like Jay Z. It'd have been like Jimmy Page or Paul McCartney coming out in 1987 and saying this needs to stop, we need to create a a better artform. It'll take new young guys like Michael Stipe, Cobain, or Vedder to put an end to auto-tune, not Jay Z.

Of course before those guys very made it big there was guys like Black Francis, Paul Westerberg, and Thurston Moore laying down the ground work and getting zero credit or attention. I'm not so keen on the new hip hop scene, so if anyone can show me who the current Thurston Moore's or Paul Westerberg's are then we can see what the next rap Cobain is going to sound like.
i loooove pixies and replacements, but i cant get into sonic youth, any recommendations on songs or albums, its weird, i feel like i should like them but it just doesnt happen

Nope. We're in the same boat. I recognize what they've done and acknowledge that those that love them have to be on to something, but there isn't much of their work that I've really gotten into. I do like "Teen Age Riot" off of Daydream Nation a lot. To be honest there's a lot of their catalogue I've yet to go through.

Now that I think about it I don't really listen all that much Pixie stuff outside of the Doolittle album. And I prefer the very early Replacements stuff, the punk stiff, over the alt rock stuff. I mean I like Let It Be and Tim, but nothing on there gets me going like Kids Don't Follow.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 07:09:52 AM »

Nope. We're in the same boat. I recognize what they've done and acknowledge that those that love them have to be on to something, but there isn't much of their work that I've really gotten into. I do like "Teen Age Riot" off of Daydream Nation a lot. To be honest there's a lot of their catalogue I've yet to go through.

Now that I think about it I don't really listen all that much Pixie stuff outside of the Doolittle album. And I prefer the very early Replacements stuff, the punk stiff, over the alt rock stuff. I mean I like Let It Be and Tim, but nothing on there gets me going like Kids Don't Follow.
alright makes me feel a lot better, im actually a weirdo cause i love surfer rosa and come on pilgrim more than doo little, which i like a lot also, and the replacements those are the only two albums i got

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:37:25 AM »

alright makes me feel a lot better, im actually a weirdo cause i love surfer rosa and come on pilgrim more than doo little, which i like a lot also, and the replacements those are the only two albums i got

I think most people like Rosa the best. I just listen to Doolittle the most.

Kids Don't Follow is a single off the Stink EP, and the first album is called Sorry Ma Forgot to Take Out the Trash. They're a lot more punk sounding than Satisfied or Bastards of Young.

sprite

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
then why does he still associate with Kanye West?

this guy is a clown

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »
Jay-Z is still fighting his noble (but way too late) battle against Auto-Tuning: in a recent interview, this is what he had to say:

“I really wanted to have the conversation, like ‘are we just going to sound like each other? Everyone’s going to sound the same? That’s what we’re gonna do? Don’t ya’ll know this is dangerous? And this is just how rock and roll got pushed from the forefront?’ We did this to rock and roll. Everyone was doing the hair-band thing on MTV with the tight pants. They all had the big hair, just different colored tights. It just became about more of a look and a sound than the emotion of the music. And that’s what hip-hop’s becoming. It’s losing the emotion — you can’t have emotion in the robotic voice. I can’t feel anything!"
and he is wright.point blank..........by the way,where is my nigga (POINT BLANK).