Author Topic: Joe Mauer wins AL MVP.  (Read 378 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Joe Mauer wins AL MVP.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
ichiro had a higher wpa than: h. ramirez, vmart, arod, tex, m. cabrera, and even the AL MVP mauer.  does that mean that ichiro is the best player out of this group?

No, it's only a one year sample size and I think you should take more than one stat into account when factoring in who's the best player.  Just agreeing he's a little low in the AL MVP voting and using a good stat to back it up. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:59:14 PM by Knuckles »

thisoneguy360

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
Ichiro led the American League this year in WPA (Win Probability Added) which is the difference in win expectancy (WE) between the start of the play and the end of the play. That difference is then credited/debited to the batter and the pitcher. Over the course of the season, each players’ WPA for individual plays is added up to get his season total WPA. Sounds like he was pretty valuable to me.

wpa means jack shit.  it just means that ichiro hit singles and kept the innings going.  and thats what he does, he hits singles.  is that a bad thing?  not at all.  does that make him mvp material? not at all.

Well deserved, damn voters ain't showin no love to Ichiro though  >:(

im surprised he actually cracked the top 10....he is overrated as fuck and arod, abreu, lind, cano, martinez, and longoria were easily better than ichiro.  

take away ichiros BA and what does he have?  

One of the best arms in the game, one of the best gloves in the game, one of the fastest players in the game (in his 30s), can make a hit out of damn near any pitch thrown his way, can swing for power when needed, and what's wrong with a high batting average?

im not debating his defense, his glove or his speed. he is a good player.  is he the best player in the al like some people believe? hell no.  he is far from it.  

everyone always says "ichiro can hit for power when he wants or when its needed".  thats such bullshit.  youre telling me over the last four seasons that theres only been 32 times when a homer was needed from him?  please. 

ichiro is a singles hitter with good defense and speed.  he isnt a power hitter and he isnt a run producer.  he is a great lead off man.  nothing more nothing less. 

The Mariners had the worst offense in the AL last year so you can't expect him to drive in runs. Put him in the middle of a powerful lineup and he could be a good RBI man. He is the only player in MLB history to have 9 straight 200 hit seasons. I think he qualifies as more than a "good lead off man". Anyways, I'm done arguing I'd rather look at your Shakira gif  8)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
if he didn't run out of the box during his swing he could put up 35-40 HRs a year; it's scientifically proven lol.