Author Topic: Where are all the Dr. Dre critics at now?  (Read 1794 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Where are all the Dr. Dre critics at now?
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
Man at the beginning of the year, if you were to read the threads in here, you would think Dre was on life support. You would get comments like Mannie Fresh>Dr. Dre in here. Now after Relapse, BISD, Refill and a infamous pic with Game and Snoop, all is quiet. What's up with that?  ;D

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Where are all the Dr. Dre critics at now?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
real talk im still not i guess sayin hes back cuz he really hasnt made anythin amazin (but yet hes considered as the mosty amazin producer ever)
and thats why IMO RZA gets him cuz RZA is somethin else and does it every time
the relapse album wasnt all that IMO, and bisd is terrible
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
real talk im still not i guess sayin hes back cuz he really hasnt made anythin amazin (but yet hes considered as the mosty amazin producer ever)

But were those albums weak in your opinion because of the artists or the beats?

Matty

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
still not really convinced that dre is BACK with that pure fire yet.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »

No doubt but at the same token he is far from finished as far as being wack either.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
well it was the artists i wasnt feelin
so overall the production was cool and was too good for the artist it was given to especially some of relapse stuff but again for dre he needed to have brought more heat than what he did..it was as if he went backwards
and yeah he still got heat but he really hasnt brought str8 fire in a minute
i mean were talkin STR8
AMAZIN
FIRE
BANGIN

IMO RZA has made traxx bein on those levels and prolly only rza

But were those albums weak in your opinion because of the artists or the beats?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

TRG

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »

i agree. though, in my opinion he's done more dope beats than wack ones this year, but i've yet to get that "WOW" from a beat. Though he has come close.

but dont worry, one wack beat n the critics will be swarming  ;)

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »
His beats on relapse and refill are the best things he's done in a longgg time. Some were very interesting, and some were excellent.

I think that Dre's BIGGEST problem is that he insists on every beat being 4-8ish bars looped ad nauseum. No tempo changes, no key changes, no switch ups, no instrument changes, just a loop. Sometimes its an extremely hot loop (Imagine), sometimes there's like one instrument added on the chorus (Hallelujah), but his shit is just too loop based. It makes the beats feel plodding and deliberate.

And this is an age where producers such as the neptunes, JUSTICE league, Khalil and others continue to increase the musical sophistication in their beats. Dre's shit is a little too simple right now. His second biggest problem is that the drums just feel so plodding and heavy. It's like he's trying to FORCE you to bounce to the beat. His beats really have no groove whatsoever right now. And it's weird cuz his g-funk beats always had a great groove.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:14:02 PM by anash50 »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »

No doubt but at the same token he is far from finished as far as being wack either.

No doubt. He's still got it, but he's not amazing anymore either. There's no reason to sit around waiting for the next Dre record. If it comes it comes.

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:53:03 PM »
His beats on relapse and refill are the best things he's done in a longgg time. Some were very interesting, and some were excellent.

I think that Dre's BIGGEST problem is that he insists on every beat being 4-8ish bars looped ad nauseum. No tempo changes, no key changes, no switch ups, no instrument changes, just a loop. Sometimes its an extremely hot loop (Imagine), sometimes there's like one instrument added on the chorus (Hallelujah), but his shit is just too loop based. It makes the beats feel plodding and deliberate.

And this is an age where producers such as the neptunes, JUSTICE league, Khalil and others continue to increase the musical sophistication in their beats. Dre's shit is a little too simple right now. His second biggest problem is that the drums just feel so plodding and heavy. It's like he's trying to FORCE you to bounce to the beat. His beats really have no groove whatsoever right now. And it's weird cuz his g-funk beats always had a great groove.

Good shit man, I agree with everything you said. +1. Theres alotta dope producers like the ones you said that are making iller beats than Dre. Not saying that his beats arent dope, but they dont have that "wow" factor. Damn, I'm feelin Neptunes beats more than Dre beats right now.  The best Dre beat in awhile was "Shit Popped Off." That beat was fuckin dope but its just a loop too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:19:09 PM by rhythmalism »

GSmith

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:26:07 PM »
well it was the artists i wasnt feelin
so overall the production was cool and was too good for the artist it was given to especially some of relapse stuff but again for dre he needed to have brought more heat than what he did..it was as if he went backwards
and yeah he still got heat but he really hasnt brought str8 fire in a minute
i mean were talkin STR8
AMAZIN
FIRE
BANGIN

IMO RZA has made traxx bein on those levels and prolly only rza

Never really heard much of RZA so wat songs do u recommend I check out that shows how great of a producer you say he is?

One2free

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
Maybe becuz fans R awaiting for Dre to bring those Chronic/2001 styles of beat,
not those pop mixed beats or wack artists on average beats,
but those typical west coast beats, that G-funk style.

IMO, ppl can still wait for those incredible beats, he won't bring em anymore until he keeps on working with the ppl he works today. He needs to work with the ppl he used to work with, not shady & co.

In other words,
Back when.... = 98% dope, 2% nope.
Nowadays... = 60% dope, 40% nope.

& did u ever think that ppl were tired of seeing those same threads again & again, which that doesn't mean that they not still thinking the same

Jimmy H.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
Dre should hook up with Wideawake & release his og's.  I am sure a vast majority of the fans out there would like that!
  This seems kind of irrelevant to the topic. It would be great to hear some of those old records but it really will do nothing for how he's viewed as a producer in 2009.

fette_chico

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
The thing with dre is his best work sets the bar so high that pretty good isnt good enough for the dedicated / picky / listener. Personally i am more likely to listen to a snippet of an artist i dont really listen to / haven t heard if it has (prod. by Dr. Dre) after it. Interesting side note If they still coming out with new leaked pac material now imagine how long dres shit will be in circulation after he passes god forbid (must have enough to release albums for 30+ years i would have thought)

Yeah totally agree

Gfunk

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
Im totally digging Dre's now style on beats (im talking bout the ones on relapse and the relapse refill) The drums are loud as fuck and bang hard as hell and the whole orchestra shit is insane. His mixing and mastering is still top notch i just love listenin to the beats on high volume.
Code: [Select]
http://www.last.fm/user/Gfunk-