Author Topic: R.I.P. Hip-Hop in the Twin Cities  (Read 175 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
R.I.P. Hip-Hop in the Twin Cities
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
B96, the only Hip-Hop station in Minnesota has played it's last song. As of noon on Wednesday, they closed and now 963 NOW is in it's place. B96 was by no means a perfect Hip-Hop station, but it was the only Hip-Hop station. The closes thing was the Black station, KMOJ which 1) has a weak reception and 2) doesn't always play Hip-Hop because they also play Jazz, gospel on Sundays and 60's and 70's funk. Hip-Hop on KMOJ is like after 6PM. B96 added more pop than the average Hip-Hop station, but was a solid station in that the night DJs actually let local acts come to the studio (Minneapolis a decent underground scene, just see Rhymesayers) and every noon it was straight old school. Once you get past the morning show and the drive home show, it was a decent Hip-Hop station. Now it is gone. With Hip-Hop leaving the pop charts the owners decided that it was time for a change. They said that last year 35 of the top 100 songs were Hip-Hop, now it's only 9 of the top 100 songs. Therefore they are changing and becoming a straight top 40 station, which Minneapolis already has. Instead of trying to be different and build on the large audience they do have, the owners are trying to go head to head with KDWB, a Clear Channel station. Good Luck. R.I.P. Hip-Hop in Minneapolis, you are already missed.

B96 2000-2010.

On a related note... Is XM Radio worth it? I am very curious in XM radio now, since none of the HD stations here have Hip-Hop either, but again there are quite a few top 40 stations on HD FM. WTF??

OG Hack Wilson

Re: R.I.P. Hip-Hop in the Twin Cities
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
man, you don't need to look for the radio to find rap music

you just need the Dub :D
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »

LOL... true... but still... I can't take the Dub to me on the ride to work or when I go to the different school sights.   :-\

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »

LOL... true... but still... I can't take the Dub to me on the ride to work or when I go to the different school sights.   :-\

well do u have a CD player in your whip?

or even a tape player?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Al Bundy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:29 PM »

or even a tape player?

people are still using cd players in 2010?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »

or even a tape player?

people are still using cd players in 2010?

LMAO... true, though I still have a CD player. I thought of getting a car that plays MP3 players, but then again I'll run into the same problem as the CD player. I have to get the damn music myself. There is something relaxing of just turning on the radio and actually hearing someone play new shit for you. I guess as a former college radio DJ, I can appreciate a good radio DJ, and I love to hear radio. I grew up on Power 106 and 92.3 the Beat, and when I got older I listened to KDAY make a comeback and Wild 96 for it's short time in San Bernardino. So I always was a radio person who played my CDs as a last resort.