Author Topic: Dre's Strike  (Read 160 times)

Murrow

Dre's Strike
« on: December 11, 2002, 09:19:21 AM »
HHSO report that Dr. Dre went on "strike" following Vivendi buying Interscopes parent company, Universal, last year! Although Vivendi are now facing investigation over "fishy book-keeping" the "5 Star Surgeon General" appears to have made a huge profit off the company as he got the media conglomerate to pay him $50 million! According to a source close to Interscope, Dr. Dre believed it was his hard work discovering and developing such top acts such as rap superstar Eminem that was behind the $50 million bonus, label chief Jimmy Iovine, had previously paid himself. As a result when the new owners moved in, Dr. Dre made it clear he'd hold back his talents if he wasn't paid a fat windfall of his own! Page Six's Ian Spiegelman was told by the source : "He went dry on them for months, he basically told them they weren't getting any more beats until he got paid what he deserved. Jimmy had made a fortune when Seagram bought Universal in 1998, and Dr. Dre knew he deserved the same treatment."

The payment was eventually made in March 2001, just as Dre's five-year deal with Interscope was about to expire. However claims of the Dr. Dre strike were classed as : "absurd. There's not a shred of truth to it." by his lawyer, Peter Paterno. Paterno did however go on to say that Dre is well aware his value to the Interscope : "Does he at some level feel that Jimmy profited off him? Yes, but that's normal. He sees that Jimmy's got the nice house and he knows that Jimmy wouldn't have the nice house if it wasn't for him."

Paterno did make it clear though that the two are good friends : "He's really good friends with Jimmy. I wish he was more resentful because it would make my job easier." Regarding the Vivendi payment to Dr. Dre, Paterno says : "I can't talk about what he got. Dre got paid very well, but he worked for that. He believes in the work ethic, that people should be paid for the work they do. He could be a Republican, except that he's not."
- DubCNN

I think this sort of explains the weak year from Dre.  His recent material has been nothing.  My guess was because he was occupied with his own label releases.  That may be a reason too but it seems Dre is feeling ripped off and he is not motivated.  Like he said he would hold back his best work.

Wha y'all think?

Jome

Re:Dre's Strike
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 04:06:53 PM »

I think this sort of explains the weak year from Dre.  His recent material has been nothing.  My guess was because he was occupied with his own label releases.  That may be a reason too but it seems Dre is feeling ripped off and he is not motivated.  Like he said he would hold back his best work.

Wha y'all think?

Ya, I hope so.
Seems logical, as we haven't heard much Dre-beats lately.

Trauma-san

Re:Dre's Strike
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 07:35:34 PM »
I just think he's being lazy.  Simple as that.  He's done it before, i.e. right after Doggystyle came out.