Author Topic: Nicki Minaj Interview  (Read 246 times)

Lunatic

Nicki Minaj Interview
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »

I2G's Justin Melo sat down with Young Money artist Nicki Minaj for a exclusive interview. Minaj has created quite a buzz for herself working with Lil Wayne and being signed to his new label, along with guest appearances with some of the top names in the industry. She talks about her start in music, her new album and much more so check it out.

http://www.illuminati2g.com/nickiminajinterview.htm

I2G: We’re in the house with the hottest female MC out right now, Nicki Minaj. How are you doing at this time?

Nicki Minaj: I’m fine, how are you?

I2G: I’m doing well, thanks for taking the time to speak with us.

Nicki Minaj: Thank you.

I2G: What was it like growing up in Queens, New York?

Nicki Minaj: We didn’t have that much money so we relied on each other and being on the block so to speak. We had to pass the days away. We definitely weren’t taking any trips or vacations or adventures, none of that type of thing. My mother was very good to us. We grew up in the 80s, the crack era. It wasn’t always nice but I think it was a good experience. We saw a very rough surrounding. For me, I was just always like I’m gonna’ make it up outta’ here. That’s how it was.

I2G: How did studying acting and signing in school help your career progress further than just dreams and aspirations?

Nicki Minaj: I do lots of weird voices and I kind of act out my raps. That’s something that’s always been in me. Acting was always a part and faucet of my life. It just comes very natural. I think it’s a good thing. All rappers predominantly sound the same and want you to think their meanest person in the world, and that they’re all gangster and all that. My acting allowed me to be playful and crazy, and it helps me tell stories and all that.  I think it’s a good time; rap needs that kind of stuff.

I2G: I like how you switched it up there and went on to tell us how acting has helped your music. In terms of acting, is there a chance will ever see Nicki Minaj on the big screen?

Nicki Minaj: Yeah. I’ve actually been reading some scripts for some movies. It’ll definitely happen soon. I’m a trained actress, not someone who started doing music and then went to act; I actually studied it. I’ll definitely be doing that very soon.

I2G: How did singing background vocals and hooks for local rappers help you gain notoriety?

Nicki Minaj: A lot of rappers want somebody to always sing on their records. If you can hold a note, they’re gonna’ ask you to come and be apart of their creativity. At that time, they were eager and on the streets selling drugs or in the studio making music. That was a big part of our lives were I grew up. I’m glad I did that because here I am working on my debut album, when I hear beats, I write records not just about rap, but also pop and R&B records. I’m glad I started out with that foundation because that’s a big part of music. Not only being able to write a 16 [bar verse], but sometimes rappers feel that’s all they need to learn how to do, but it’s not.

I2G: You were initially discovered on MySpace. How do you think such social networking spots have helped benefit the careers of aspiring artists?

Nicki Minaj: It gives you a chance to present yourself to the world without sitting in the background waiting for the record company to do it for you.

I2G: So you can get discovered on the internet without the help of the label, but you can also be heavily bootlegged. Is the internet a give and a curse for hip-hop?

Nicki Minaj: I wouldn’t even say the internet is a gift and a curse for hip-hop. All types of music are bootlegged, including movies which are bootlegged. It’s just different now.

I2G: What was your reaction like when Lil Wayne contacted you?

Nicki Minaj: I was excited and jumping up and down and screaming; that type of thing (laughs). I thought it was a joke. I didn’t think he was really trying to contact me. I thought he was trying to punk me or something (laughs). When I figured out it was true, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

I2G: Shortly after, you were contacted by all sorts of prestigious publications. XXL Magazine contacted you and ran a feature for example. Did you see instant results from affiliating yourself with Lil Wayne?

Nicki Minaj: Definitely. I remember having to go on MySpace and then Lil Wayne came out on the “Upgrade You” freestyle and said “I just signed a chick named Nicki Minaj” and my inbox was flooded (laughs). When I say flooded, I couldn’t open the inbox fast enough. Him [Lil Wayne] just saying my name caused a different reaction from people.

I2G: It took a couple of years before the official announcement of you signing to Young Money. Was that an easy decision for you to make? How come it took so long?

Nicki Minaj: When I was young and we were both at very crucial points in our lives. It was the right thing to do to wait it out and see how the situation went. Me personally, I felt the need to weigh out my options because I didn’t want to sign to the type of record deal I thought female rappers usually get. I wanted to get an insane buzz going and have everybody talking about Nicki Minaj. I promised myself that is when I would sign. I was always wanted to be with Young Money but I didn’t know it what capacity. I was in a period where I was thinking a lot and working hard. I knew that if I worked, the labels would come to me. That’s why I wanted to wait and didn’t sign two years ago when they first contacted me. I don’t think it would have been a good idea for any of us. Lil Wayne still had a few questions about how he wanted to run his company at that time. I think I played chess and I won.

I2G: You made a very good decision there. How is the debut album coming along?

Nicki Minaj: Amazing. It’s gonna’ transition to lots of different genres of music. It’s gonna’ be good music. It’s an amazing album. I’m very proud of everything that is going on with it right now. It’s not titled as of yet.

I2G: Are you eyeing any sort of release date?

Nicki Minaj: We’re trying to do second quarter of 2010. That would be an ideal time for me.

I2G: How much of the album is done at this time?

Nicki Minaj: About a quarter of it.

I2G: Is it too early to divulge any information in terms of production or guest appearances?

Nicki Minaj: Yeah. It’s a little too early for that (laughs). I think Polow Da Don will make the album as far as producer wise. You know, I have a lot of young producers that don’t have a big name but have a huge sound. You can trust that I will introduce new superstar producers that are gonna’ take over in 2010.

I2G: I like that strategy. Tell us about the “Barbie doll” comparison that you often reference to?

Nicki Minaj: Barbie is a term of endearment to me; just like hunny or sweetie. People that like Nicki Minaj heard me say it a couple of times and they loved it and we ran with it. It kind of took on a life of its own. The fans created it. It’s a playful term of endearment. That’s what it is.

I2G: Thanks a whole lot for your time Nicki Minaj, your on www.illuminati2g.net  and We wish you the best of luck with the debut album. Will definitely hook up with you again as we approach the release date. Do you have any last words before I let you go?

Nicki Minaj: Everybody can hit me up on www.twitter.com/nickiminaj and they can hit www.nickiminajfans.com for all the latest news on my stuff. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me and will definitely do it again soon.

I2G: No doubt Nicki, take care.

Nicki Minaj: Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:44:33 PM by Lunatic »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nicki Minaj Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
Did you cop a feel?  ;)

kemizt

Portugoal

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:34 PM »
Dude... She's too wack to interview. Even for your standards.

BiggBoogaBiff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGWA4EKi55M&NR=1
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
WIFEY!!!!!  stay tha fuck away

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »
I would have gotten her contact info after turning off the recorder  8)

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »
I would have gotten her contact info after turning off the recorder  8)

lmao... realest talk in o10'

the ghost

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »

MediumL

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »
does she use the retarded voice all the time or just in rapping.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

ikke

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
Yo Luna did you get some of that head that got her all those guestspots?

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
Actually no lol. I was surprised. She was very cordial and relaxed, overall professional.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

MediumL

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
Actually no lol. I was surprised. She was very cordial and relaxed, overall professional.

well even though i dont care what she said props for the interview anyway lol
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Bananas

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:53:12 AM »
Your nervousness even showed through in text.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:23 AM »
I can't stand this girl. I don't see any reason why she's getting so much of a push unless she's giving out handjobs for free. She's not even particularly good looking and she's DEFINITELY not a good emcee.

Fraxxx

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:09 AM »
I don't know too much of her music but what I heard was not bad. She's entertaining with that voice and style, more like a cartoon character though.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.