Author Topic: My thoughts on Pacquiao/Clottey and Mayweather  (Read 434 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
My thoughts on Pacquiao/Clottey and Mayweather
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
Mayweather gets a lot of shit talked to because of  his get a punch or two in, and "run away". Or as I like to call it, "boxing". Tonight was a perfect example of somebody who actually does run and not do anything with Clottey. Hopefully more people realize that Mayweather is a boxing genius, and should really treasure the remainder of his fights but his type of genius boxing is very rare to come by in boxing. You always have counter punchers, sluggers, explosive, etc type of fighters but none have the highly accurate offensive style and tremendous defense of Mayweather.

Pacquiao landed 20% of his punches on Clottey, this is really not good news for Pac if he were to face Mayweather.  You would see a similar percentage against Mayweather, but the difference is that Mayweather will know when to attack with precision. 

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: My thoughts on Pacquiao/Clottey and Mayweather
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »
Agreed, but at the same time Manny would not fight Floyd like that. Freddie Roach even said before the fight that Clottey is more counter punch 1st minded and with a volume puncher he takes too long to counter. That is why Manny fought the way he did and until the later rounds had little resistance. He would get knocked out with the quickness fighting Floyd like that but for tonight it worked.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
Forgot to book the fight today. Pacman won by decision, was it a good fight?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Forgot to book the fight today. Pacman won by decision, was it a good fight?

Not at all.  It was so boring that Lampley tried to spice things up in the middle of the fight by screaming "BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG" while Pacquiao was hitting Clottey's gloves.  LMAO

The entire fight was basically Pacquiao landed a few shots while throwing over 100 punches per round and Clottey throwing 35 punches while having his guard up the entire time. 

Top Rank just collected money with no entertainment.  The undercard was even worse. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
Agreed, but at the same time Manny would not fight Floyd like that. Freddie Roach even said before the fight that Clottey is more counter punch 1st minded and with a volume puncher he takes too long to counter. That is why Manny fought the way he did and until the later rounds had little resistance. He would get knocked out with the quickness fighting Floyd like that but for tonight it worked.

That's Pacquiao's only chance against Mayweather though, I think.  Having a high volume of punches throughout the fight.  If he decides to be more selective, then I think Mayweather will just pick him off much more easily. 

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »

That's Pacquiao's only chance against Mayweather though, I think.  Having a high volume of punches throughout the fight.  If he decides to be more selective, then I think Mayweather will just pick him off much more easily. 

Yeah it is lose/lose anyway Pacman fights Floyd. Only if he caught him with something slick that changes the entire pace of the fight is the only way I see Pac having a shot.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
I bought the fight last night....

Ima start off by saying...Jim Lampley was the most annoying commentator ive ever heard last night.  He should stick to wife beating...cus last night was terrible. Normally he doesnt bother me so much, but last night was RIDICULOUS.

Ive always hated how networks (HBO in this case) always build up one fighter far more then the other.  Manny is their guy, so I get it.  And Im a HUGE Pacquiao fan.  But cmon.  For one, Lampley was taking WAY too many shots at Clottey.  He isnt a boxer, and isnt in the ring.  Clottey is a former champion, and a very good fighter. You could DEFINETELY argue that Clottey beat Cotto (I think he did), but boxing politics would not have allowed a fighter from Ghana to beat a Puerto Rican star without a KO.  He was definetely beating Margarito before he hurt his hand in that fight...and u still could make an argument for him winning THAT fight.  But its so easy fromt he outside looking in to say..."why wont he throw more punches!?".  First off, Clottey is a very defensive fighter.  His guard is hard to penetrate...and nobody really hurts him.  Manny did exactly what he needed to do.  He just peppered him with punches all night. Was Manny hurting him?  I dont think so.  But, he threw SO many punches...that it made it almost impossible for Clottey to get off.  he threw 1271 punches....thats over 100 per round.  If Pacquiao wasnt even such a powerful puncher...it would be hard for another fighter to get off with that kind of activity.  Plus the way Manny would throw a combination and then step to the side....by the time Clottey would uncover, Manny was gone.  It was simple to see what was going on...Clottey was just confused on what to do.  He wasnt running...he wasnt quitting...he just had no answer.  Its equivilent to a good hitter in baseball being struck out looking.  Easy for fans to say..."why wont he just swing?!". Well, sometimes you just cant figure out a certain pitcher and the motion on their pitches, or whatever, just freezes you.  That happened to Clottey.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:31:59 PM by .:DaYg0sTyLz:. »
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
Mayweather gets a lot of shit talked to because of  his get a punch or two in, and "run away". Or as I like to call it, "boxing". Tonight was a perfect example of somebody who actually does run and not do anything with Clottey. Hopefully more people realize that Mayweather is a boxing genius, and should really treasure the remainder of his fights but his type of genius boxing is very rare to come by in boxing. You always have counter punchers, sluggers, explosive, etc type of fighters but none have the highly accurate offensive style and tremendous defense of Mayweather.

Pacquiao landed 20% of his punches on Clottey, this is really not good news for Pac if he were to face Mayweather.  You would see a similar percentage against Mayweather, but the difference is that Mayweather will know when to attack with precision. 

I love Mayweather.  Been a big fan.  But right now probably a bigger Pacquiao fan.  Also Shane Mosley as well.  I want to see Pacquiao/ Mayweather....but the fact that Im such a Mosley fan almost has me hopin for him to beat Mayweather. And he can.  Mosleys main problem with Floyd is that they are both counter puncers.  Mosley is more affective that way...not when he has to be the aggressor.  So we will see.

As far as Manny and Floyd.  Floyds defense is insane, he is almost a perfect fighter.  If he just had more power he would be.  But I know for sure, he has NEVER been tested like he will be against Pacquiao.  Floyd is not used to seeing this kind of activity and power from the same fighter.  We've never really seen somebody completely pressure Floyd for an entire fight.  I really dont think he will be comfortable having Manny constantly throwing punches. Even if Manny lands 20-25% of his shots, if he is this active...it might be enough to really bother Floyd.  Its hard to bet against Floyd, but right now it seems almost harder to bet against Pacquiao....AND Freddy Roach.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »
I might have been too harsh on Clottey, because I do respect his style.  I know it was impossible for Clottey to do his thing against Pac, I was just stating how there is still some huge differences in Defensive Minded fighters that people seem to all just put in one category. 

Pac definitely the most dangerous fighter Mayweather has faced, but I think once Mayweather starts moving Pac is going to try to catch him while he's off balanced.  That's how I see it happening. 

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
I might have been too harsh on Clottey, because I do respect his style.  I know it was impossible for Clottey to do his thing against Pac, I was just stating how there is still some huge differences in Defensive Minded fighters that people seem to all just put in one category. 

Pac definitely the most dangerous fighter Mayweather has faced, but I think once Mayweather starts moving Pac is going to try to catch him while he's off balanced.  That's how I see it happening. 

Yeah Clottey is an amazing defensive fighter.  He just cant really be hurt..and fighters can hardly break through his defense.  What makes Mayweathers defense so effective, is that unlike Clottey...his defense involves a lot of head movement, awkward angles, and foot work....so mayweather can make you miss....but still be in a position to throw punches.  You see when Clottey would block Pacquiao punches...he was so covered up that he wasnt in a good position to counter.  Either way...Pacquiao vs Mayweather would be HUGE.  If Floyd can get past Shane.

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
Pacquiao better step his roid game up if he wants to go at Floyd.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »
Pacquiao better step his roid game up if he wants to go at Floyd.

lol Floyd knew Pacquiao believes that the blood testing right before a fight weakens him.....so he's using it to his advantage.  Manny agrees to blood tests even tho the Nevada State Athletic Commission doesnt require them.  He just didnt want to give any blood 3 weeks before the fight...but was willing to take a blood test immediately after the fight.

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »
Mayweather is afraid of Pac. I hope his gambit bites him in the ass and Sugar Shane gets the better of him. This is just classic Floyd though, wait till a fighter is a year out of his prime, then sign the big name, and win. He'll wait another year when Manny is starting to decline, and THEN will take the fight.

I know Mayweather is a good fighter, but he's so boring to watch. I feel like I wasted money every time I chip in on one of his ppvs.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »
Mayweather is afraid of Pac. I hope his gambit bites him in the ass and Sugar Shane gets the better of him. This is just classic Floyd though, wait till a fighter is a year out of his prime, then sign the big name, and win. He'll wait another year when Manny is starting to decline, and THEN will take the fight.

I know Mayweather is a good fighter, but he's so boring to watch. I feel like I wasted money every time I chip in on one of his ppvs.

I guess it depends on the viewer. Cus Ive never felt like I wasted my money on his fights.  But I grew up cheering for fighters like Pernell Whitaker.  So I like watching defensive fighters as well as offensive fighters.  I can appreciate the way Floyd is able to control every single fight he is in.  You NEVER see Floyd fighting the other fighters fight.  He controls the pace.  The fight is always fought on his terms...and he is able to completely confuse fighters in the ring. Its pretty amazing.  With that said, I do think Floyd is a lil worried about facing Pacquiao.  Floyd typically has the fastest hands int he ring....Pacquiao has just as much hand speed....but with more power...and is far more active.  I think that worries Floyd.  He will be tested against Mosley though.  Floyd will have to turn in an A+ performance to beat Sugar Shane.

the ghost

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
I bought the fight last night....

Ima start off by saying...Jim Lampley was the most annoying commentator ive ever heard last night.  He should stick to wife beating...

ROFL