Author Topic: and Captain America is..  (Read 859 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: and Captain America is..
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
This movie is going to be terrible.You know how I know? Because Captain America was nothing more then a 1950s Old Gimmick created outta fear of Communism, which is obvious by his bastardize Red, White and blue costume, that not even a Red neck on Halloween would wear. The fact that America is at a time where it's more corrupt then ever really destroys Captain America as a Character, because Patriotism is retarded.

Fixed it 4 you. Hopefully Captain America figures out america is evil. well, least it better then this one.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/10915-captaina lol

Actually, Captain America dates back to the early 1940s, which is also the time-frame when the movie is supposed to be set (at least at the start of the movie).  I will agree with you though that that "Captain America" movie from that review stunk to high heaven.  That was when Marvel didn't spend any money on their movies.  There was a Fantastic Four movie made around that time too that was equally cheesey.  It was so bad in fact that I don't think it was ever even officially released.  But I'm sure you can find it online.
 As far as making a Captain America movie where Captain America thinks America is evil, I'm not sure that would work. lol

Actually you could have a good Character Trait, were Captain America realizes that America is both a evil and good place, and is thus torn as given Allegiance to the country, and despite the fact they do more evil then good, he realizes that by pledging his Allegiance he is protecting America's people who are just citizens trying to survive in this harsh ass land. Considering the Characters traits, I honestly think this hero could present us with political thought provoking concepts. A course, they won't because that's something more of Ironman/batman type of ideal, no I bet this shit will be like Spider Man... except crappier because like I said, Captain America in a Post-9/11 world, in which American government has been embroiled into Controversy that's not been this huge since the Vietnam days, can't actually be a pure good Super Hero that won't gather any Political bravado.

No the only way this character could work (For me atleast) is that he's a representation of how America's government and politics have brought destruction, and in that way (in some cases) good. A course, the more I think the more I think Captain America could actually be a very good Character. but I doubt they'll utilize him into anything more then a simple Kiddish comic book hero. Guess I'm just thinking 2 much of a more Adult  scale.

I'll give you credit for coming up with an interesting idea.  After seeing your more detailed explanation, I see how that might actually make a pretty cool story.  I don't think they would be able to use it for this movie, as I believe it's mostly set during World War II.  The only way it might work in this is if the first movie also covers the time frame where Captain America awakens in the present day after being frozen.  If they cover that time frame, your ideas would probably work really well.  And if not, they could probably explore those kind of themes in The Avengers movie, because I'm sure that would be set in present day.

With the whole Ron Paul/slash Tea Party stuff going on I guess you could make Cappy a libertarian who is sickened with what's going on in America and trying to change it back to the way it was. I wonder how that would go over with the mainstream movie crowd.

JohnnyL

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:34 AM »
This movie is going to be terrible.You know how I know? Because Captain America was nothing more then a 1950s Old Gimmick created outta fear of Communism, which is obvious by his bastardize Red, White and blue costume, that not even a Red neck on Halloween would wear. The fact that America is at a time where it's more corrupt then ever really destroys Captain America as a Character, because Patriotism is retarded.

Fixed it 4 you. Hopefully Captain America figures out america is evil. well, least it better then this one.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/10915-captaina lol

Actually, Captain America dates back to the early 1940s, which is also the time-frame when the movie is supposed to be set (at least at the start of the movie).  I will agree with you though that that "Captain America" movie from that review stunk to high heaven.  That was when Marvel didn't spend any money on their movies.  There was a Fantastic Four movie made around that time too that was equally cheesey.  It was so bad in fact that I don't think it was ever even officially released.  But I'm sure you can find it online.
 As far as making a Captain America movie where Captain America thinks America is evil, I'm not sure that would work. lol

Actually you could have a good Character Trait, were Captain America realizes that America is both a evil and good place, and is thus torn as given Allegiance to the country, and despite the fact they do more evil then good, he realizes that by pledging his Allegiance he is protecting America's people who are just citizens trying to survive in this harsh ass land. Considering the Characters traits, I honestly think this hero could present us with political thought provoking concepts. A course, they won't because that's something more of Ironman/batman type of ideal, no I bet this shit will be like Spider Man... except crappier because like I said, Captain America in a Post-9/11 world, in which American government has been embroiled into Controversy that's not been this huge since the Vietnam days, can't actually be a pure good Super Hero that won't gather any Political bravado.

No the only way this character could work (For me atleast) is that he's a representation of how America's government and politics have brought destruction, and in that way (in some cases) good. A course, the more I think the more I think Captain America could actually be a very good Character. but I doubt they'll utilize him into anything more then a simple Kiddish comic book hero. Guess I'm just thinking 2 much of a more Adult  scale.

I'll give you credit for coming up with an interesting idea.  After seeing your more detailed explanation, I see how that might actually make a pretty cool story.  I don't think they would be able to use it for this movie, as I believe it's mostly set during World War II.  The only way it might work in this is if the first movie also covers the time frame where Captain America awakens in the present day after being frozen.  If they cover that time frame, your ideas would probably work really well.  And if not, they could probably explore those kind of themes in The Avengers movie, because I'm sure that would be set in present day.

With the whole Ron Paul/slash Tea Party stuff going on I guess you could make Cappy a libertarian who is sickened with what's going on in America and trying to change it back to the way it was. I wonder how that would go over with the mainstream movie crowd.

Could work.  Probably the safest way to play it is to not have Cap lean too far either way, politically.  On the other hand, being that Cap. is a product of 1940's America, I  don't think they could totally ignore Cap's patriotic side.  But if they wanted to play it safe, I think they could still make Cap. patriotic without having him lean too far to the right or left, politically.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »

Could work.  Probably the safest way to play it is to not have Cap lean too far either way, politically.  On the other hand, being that Cap. is a product of 1940's America, I  don't think they could totally ignore Cap's patriotic side.  But if they wanted to play it safe, I think they could still make Cap. patriotic without having him lean too far to the right or left, politically.

Like what dude said above, he wakes up after his 60 year sleep (it made much more sense when he was only frozen for 20 years and America still remembered him) and quickly becomes disgusted by the modern United States. At first he marvels (pardon the pun) at the progress like the inclusion of blacks into society, and the technology, etc etc etc but quickly learns to see the evils of Government intervention into people's lives and like the Civil War story becomes the leading defender of protecting the identity of masked super heroes, which is the way I think they're going anyway.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »

Like what dude said above, he wakes up after his 60 year sleep (it made much more sense when he was only frozen for 20 years and America still remembered him) and quickly becomes disgusted by the modern United States. At first he marvels (pardon the pun) at the progress like the inclusion of blacks into society, and the technology, etc etc etc but quickly learns to see the evils of Government intervention into people's lives and like the Civil War story becomes the leading defender of protecting the identity of masked super heroes, which is the way I think they're going anyway.

I think it's truly the only direction you can have a Captain America movie.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »

I think it's truly the only direction you can have a Captain America movie.

Yeah but how do you end a film like that? If he triumphs and America goes back to being great it comes across as cheesy and if he fails then it comes across as bad politics for the mass media. I don't think you can make it a sad film and I don't think a happy film would work.

JohnnyL

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »

I think it's a good idea.  And it would be cool to see them tackle the "Civil War" storyline too.  But I think if they try to do that, it will probably be sometime down the line after they've more established all the main characters from the Avengers.  Because right now they're building toward the "Avengers" movie.  And presently in their movies, Iron Man is still a good guy for the most part.  But they pretty much make him out to be "the man" in the "Civil War" story line.  So I think before they tackle the "Civil War" storyline, they will establish all the characters in the Avengers as being allies first.  And then show some sort of catalyst (maybe the same one from the comics, maybe something different) that divides the heroes into pro-registration and anti-registration camps.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »
never was a captian america fan...sounds lame. :-\

JohnnyL

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »
never was a captian america fan...sounds lame. :-\

Personally, I've never been a huge Cap fan either.  But I suppose they need him to make the Avengers movie.  And I am interested in seeing how that turns out.  Assuming they have the right story and director, that movie could be good.