Author Topic: The fall of Aftermath and Dr. Dre.  (Read 1514 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: The fall of Aftermath and Dr. Dre.
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
Dre doesn't "need" to do shit. He's already proved himself as the Michael Jordan of hip-hop producers, and besides 2pac, probably the most influential person in Hip-Hop since he started around 88.

And remember he faded away much more back in 1998 then he has faded now, and he came back bigger than ever.  So if he was able to re-emerge then, he can still do it now, and I'd say he's never left, because Em's recent album went platinum (his beats sounded great, Em fucked that album up), and just a few years ago Game and 50 Cent were going platinum on Aftermath, he's got the beats by Dre project blowing up... I would say he's still strong, and the leaked material still sounds great.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Westdog

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
Dre & Cube should work together.And to make an album together.Hip-hop is needing this shit now.
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
Dre and Aftermath are in no danger of "falling". Dre still has value as a mega-hit producer. Aftermath dropping artists is nothing new. Labels scoop up talent all the time then get in the studio and see if they have anything they can work with, people really buy into the idea that because it's Dr. Dre that every artist he works with or project he touches is gonna automatically be a huge success and if it isn't, he's lost it. Few things though:

I got her album but it seems like after Truth Hurts album came out (which was JUST an aftermath release) and flopped, dre didnt wanna take any chances, which is probally why we never got a rakim album or bishop.

The Truth Hurts issue was far less about the sales than it was about Interscope taking a giant L on that sample clearance on the first single.

You can't have Aftermath without Eminem or Dr.Dre.   50 carried it on his back for a minute too but stopped.  Now it's waiting for someone else to carry it.  

Ther one thing I've noticed with Aftermath is they like having the full package. You need to have a story for the buying public to get into. I think even with Eminem, people liked him with the first album but the background with the second album was where he became the biggest superstar in the world. Same with 50. He had the mixtape crowd. He had the Ja Rule beef. He had the "Getting shot nine times" story. He was getting co-signed with Eminem at the time when Em was making a huge hit movie then Dre handed him "In Da Club". These were guys who had all the major selling points. With Game, it was a similar deal.

On point.  None of the artists dropped by Aftermath were surprises.  Maybe Raekwon was a surprise, because he was in the same position career-wise as Busta, whose album DID come out.  But all the rest?  None of those artists had an "in" for consumers -- Bishop, Stat Quo, even Rakim, etc.  None of those guys had anything other to them than simply skills.  Heck, even Rakim would've only been checked for by old school heads and us Aftermath core fans.  That's just simply not enough return on investment.  Bishop?  I don't know one thing about him other than he's a rapper.  There are tons of rappers out there.  What Aftermath looks for is artists with a voice, something to say.  When I think "Bishop Lamont's album," I think of Dr. Dre's possible beats for the album, not Bishop himself, you know?  That's the problem right there.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 06:39:28 AM »
Dre and Aftermath are in no danger of "falling". Dre still has value as a mega-hit producer. Aftermath dropping artists is nothing new. Labels scoop up talent all the time then get in the studio and see if they have anything they can work with, people really buy into the idea that because it's Dr. Dre that every artist he works with or project he touches is gonna automatically be a huge success and if it isn't, he's lost it. Few things though:

I got her album but it seems like after Truth Hurts album came out (which was JUST an aftermath release) and flopped, dre didnt wanna take any chances, which is probally why we never got a rakim album or bishop.

The Truth Hurts issue was far less about the sales than it was about Interscope taking a giant L on that sample clearance on the first single.

You can't have Aftermath without Eminem or Dr.Dre.   50 carried it on his back for a minute too but stopped.  Now it's waiting for someone else to carry it.  

Ther one thing I've noticed with Aftermath is they like having the full package. You need to have a story for the buying public to get into. I think even with Eminem, people liked him with the first album but the background with the second album was where he became the biggest superstar in the world. Same with 50. He had the mixtape crowd. He had the Ja Rule beef. He had the "Getting shot nine times" story. He was getting co-signed with Eminem at the time when Em was making a huge hit movie then Dre handed him "In Da Club". These were guys who had all the major selling points. With Game, it was a similar deal.

On point.  None of the artists dropped by Aftermath were surprises.  Maybe Raekwon was a surprise, because he was in the same position career-wise as Busta, whose album DID come out.  But all the rest?  None of those artists had an "in" for consumers -- Bishop, Stat Quo, even Rakim, etc.  None of those guys had anything other to them than simply skills.  Heck, even Rakim would've only been checked for by old school heads and us Aftermath core fans.  That's just simply not enough return on investment.  Bishop?  I don't know one thing about him other than he's a rapper.  There are tons of rappers out there.  What Aftermath looks for is artists with a voice, something to say.  When I think "Bishop Lamont's album," I think of Dr. Dre's possible beats for the album, not Bishop himself, you know?  That's the problem right there.
^that says more about you than about Bishop Lamont