Author Topic: Who's got the Suns for tonight?!!  (Read 1072 times)

Sccit

Re: Who's got the Suns for tonight?!!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
^Tim Donaghy admitted that they fixed the Lakers/Kings Western Conference Finals Series years back.

why would the league go against them now?

LOL. I'm not even gunna reply to you anymore, man.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »
The league is not fixing games because they like a certain team so much, but because a suspenseful 7 game series is just so much better than a lousy sweep.

4 games, with for the last noone caring anymore - or 7 games, the last being a huge hit? What would you prefer if you owned the NBA?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
^Tim Donaghy admitted that they fixed the Lakers/Kings Western Conference Finals Series years back.

The 2002 Western Conference Finals is widely regarded as one of the classic series in NBA history, with the final four games coming down to the final seconds. Two games were decided on game winning shots and Game 7 was decided in overtime. It was, however, marred by corruption allegations. On June 10, 2008, convicted NBA referee Tim Donaghy's attorney filed a court document alleging, among other things, that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings was fixed by two referees. The letter states that Donaghy "learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew Referees A and F to be 'company men', always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series." The Lakers won Game 6, attempting 18 more free throws than the Kings in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the 2002 NBA Finals. The referees were not named, but the Western Conference Finals was the only seven-game series that year.

The document claimed that Donaghy told federal agents that in order to increase television ratings and ticket sales, "top executives of the NBA sought to manipulate games using referees". It also said that NBA officials would tell referees to not call technical fouls on certain players, and states that a referee was privately reprimanded by the league for ejecting a star player in the first quarter of a January 2000 game. Stern denied the accusations, calling Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NBA_Playoffs#.281.29_Sacramento_Kings_vs._.283.29_Los_Angeles_Lakers

- "He (Donaghy) said he won several bets in a row for putting money on the Lakers because the league was going to favor their star, Kobe Bryant."

Donaghy - "Kobe Bryant was going to be given the opprotunity to go to the line if a defender so much as breathed on him" LOL.

- Donaghy says "no secret that Dick Bavetta was the NBA's 'go-to-guy' to be put in certain games to bring a certain outcome"; around the two minute mark.

Dick Bavetta was reffing Game 6.

the facts are all there, but obviously with your Laker goggles on & the Kobe sperm on your chin, you'd defend it to the death before you admit the Lakers were handed the chance to go seven games in 2002.

i mean, eighteen MORE free throws in the last quarter? live in denial all you want, brothaman.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
The league is not fixing games because they like a certain team so much, but because a suspenseful 7 game series is just so much better than a lousy sweep.

4 games, with for the last noone caring anymore - or 7 games, the last being a huge hit? What would you prefer if you owned the NBA?

then why did the Suns sweep the Spurs....why did the Lakers sweep the Jazz...etc. I just dont think the league is doin this shit. At least not now. I cant see anyway they would take that risk NOW. The Donaghy shit is still fairly fresh for them to take that risk. Imagine what would happen to the league if another referee came out and said..."yeah, this year we were fixing games to get game 7's"?
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
Obviously there's games you can't fix because the other team is losing so clearly that you can't help it. Or some series are simply not that interesting to begin with so there is no purpose in blatantly fixing it.

What I do know is though, that often when the home-team is clearly up 2-0, the trailing team is most likely getting help from refs. It's like a law in the NBA. I don't even see it as "fixing". If I was a coach, I'd tell my team "try to go to the line, you will get easy calls". Not even in a cynical way. Just because it's a fact.

I'm also sure that the Lakers and the Heat had ref-related help in 2002/2006. It was blatant in certain games.

Everybody knows about LAL-SAC, let's remind y'all a bit of the horrible things that went down 4 years ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620

• Speaking of the refs, Game 5 of the Finals took its rightful place alongside Game 7 of the Seattle-Phoenix series in 1993, Game 6 of the Kings-Lakers series in 2002, Game 5 of the Knicks-Celtics series in 1973 and some of the other famous entries in the Pantheon of One-Sided Officiated Games. We're running some e-mails in a sidebar (look to the right), but you know it's bad when the owner of the losing team runs out onto the floor to stare down the commissioner after the game -- the last time that happened at a sporting event, Vince McMahon was involved.

(FYI: In today's Miami Herald, Greg Cote writes that Cuban was screaming profanely at referee Joe DeRosa right after the game, "then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!'" Remember when I wrote that, on a scale of 1-to-10 about being excited for the moment when Stern handed Cuban the trophy, I was a 35? Now I'm a 72. Although Cuban did deny saying this on his blog.)

I tackled this in a Cowbell blog last year, but it's worth rehashing again: The NBA doesn't fix games. That's impossible. And stupid. It could never happen. (Well, except for the Hubert Davis game -- that was fixed. Just kidding. Kind of.) A few months ago, I looked David Stern in the eye and asked him about the ongoing officiating problems, and he seemed agonized enough about it that I actually believed him. Unless he was pulling a DeNiro-level acting performance on me. Which I doubt. But there are three major problems here.

First, Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) as the entire Dallas team in Game 5. I just don't see how there's any way this can happen in a fairly-called game. It's theoretically impossible.

Second, everyone knew the officiating would be a problem heading into this series because of Cuban's past problems with the league. In my Finals preview, I wrote that "No team depends on the refs quite like the Heat. When the refs are calling all the bumps on Shaq and protecting Wade on every drive, they're unstoppable. When they're calling everything fairly, they're eminently beatable. If they're not getting any calls, they're just about hopeless. I could see the refs swinging two games in Miami's favor during this series, possibly three. In fact, I'm already depressed about it and the series hasn't even started yet." Well, we had our two games -- Game 3 (the last five minutes were just obscene) and Game 5 (again, a top-five debacle). And the series isn't over yet.

Third, here's a theory on referees that I described in a blog last spring:

"I don't think the NBA fixes games, but they have one trick that they use for situations like this -- when they want a home team to win the game, they invariably assign the worst referees possible to that game for two reasons: Bad referees have a tendency to get swayed by the home crowd, and bad referees never have the stones to make a tough call on the road. In a related story, I went to 35 Clippers games this year and kept a list of the referees in my pocket which I also used to follow the referees for any televised games. And yes, the referees in the NBA -- as a whole -- have never been worse. But there were six referees that stuck out as being especially terrible."

Then I went on to list the worst six referees. Here was No. 2 on the list:

"2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to be restrained by their assistants at various times."

Why is this relevant? Not only did Salvatore officiate Game 4 of the Suns-Lakers series (the one where Kobe tied it at the end of regulation and won it at the end of OT on two shaky non-calls on Nash, both by Salvatore), not only did Salvatore officiate Sunday night's Game 5 (in which Miami had a 40-12 free-throw advantage at one point), but Salvatore called the foul on Wade's final drive in overtime (remember, the call where ABC couldn't find a replay to show that anyone touched him?) even though he was standing at midcourt a full 35-40 feet from the play, and even though two other refs were closer to the play. Not only was that NOT his call, he butchered it.

Considering I brought this up LAST spring, do you find any of this a little strange? Why aren't the best referees calling these games? Why do the worst ones always seem to get assigned to games in which it would be better for the league if the home team won? Why am I the only one who notices this stuff or seems to care? Why do I find myself watching these games and concentrating more on the one-sided officiating than some of Wade's spectacular plays? As my buddy House e-mailed on Monday morning: "I don't think I can take much more of NBA refs insisting on controlling the outcomes of the most significant games. The NBA is a disgrace and should be completely embarrassed. I hate this game."

And that's coming from one of the last 19 NBA diehards -- I can only imagine what the casual fans thought after watching such a one-sided travesty.
Look, we all love Dwyane Wade. He's fantastic. But there's absolutely no scenario in which a 2-guard should be attempting as many free throws as everyone on the other team. It's absolutely unfathomable. And here's what really kills me: If there's a Game 7, you KNOW they'll come up with the best possible officials for that particular game. So why wouldn't every Finals game work like that? We have seven possible games spread over 17 days ... they couldn't pick the best three or four refs and have them work every game, like how MLB picks the best seven umps to comprise the World Series crew? Why wouldn't that work? Is there a single reason you can come up with? Arrrrrrrrgh.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:39:15 PM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

youre on the money with that one...if the nba were fixing games, that would be the sole reason. extending a series.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:44:28 PM by NIKCC »

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »

The 2002 Western Conference Finals is widely regarded as one of the classic series in NBA history, with the final four games coming down to the final seconds. Two games were decided on game winning shots and Game 7 was decided in overtime. It was, however, marred by corruption allegations. On June 10, 2008, convicted NBA referee Tim Donaghy's attorney filed a court document alleging, among other things, that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings was fixed by two referees. The letter states that Donaghy "learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew Referees A and F to be 'company men', always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series." The Lakers won Game 6, attempting 18 more free throws than the Kings in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the 2002 NBA Finals. The referees were not named, but the Western Conference Finals was the only seven-game series that year.

The document claimed that Donaghy told federal agents that in order to increase television ratings and ticket sales, "top executives of the NBA sought to manipulate games using referees". It also said that NBA officials would tell referees to not call technical fouls on certain players, and states that a referee was privately reprimanded by the league for ejecting a star player in the first quarter of a January 2000 game. Stern denied the accusations, calling Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NBA_Playoffs#.281.29_Sacramento_Kings_vs._.283.29_Los_Angeles_Lakers

- "He (Donaghy) said he won several bets in a row for putting money on the Lakers because the league was going to favor their star, Kobe Bryant."

Donaghy - "Kobe Bryant was going to be given the opprotunity to go to the line if a defender so much as breathed on him" LOL.

- Donaghy says "no secret that Dick Bavetta was the NBA's 'go-to-guy' to be put in certain games to bring a certain outcome"; around the two minute mark.

Dick Bavetta was reffing Game 6.

the facts are all there, but obviously with your Laker goggles on & the Kobe sperm on your chin, you'd defend it to the death before you admit the Lakers were handed the chance to go seven games in 2002.

i mean, eighteen MORE free throws in the last quarter? live in denial all you want, brothaman.

read what se7en said and think why your question sounds dumb.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »
^lol, of course 7even is right when he's supporting you.

you've called him a brainless, moron in 2,385 consecutive threads & NOW he's right lol.

i'm not saying that might not be true, but that's what they did for the Lakers in 2002.

i think they side with Superstars, not length of series.

Kobe & Shaq > the Kings; that's what happened in 2002.

you think David Stern wants to see Lakers/Celtics or Suns/Celtics?

a match-up with decades of history & a re-match of the Finals a few years back, with massive ratings or give Steve Nash the chance to win? lol.

Sccit

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
^lol, of course 7even is right when he's supporting you.

you've called him a brainless, moron in 2,385 consecutive threads & NOW he's right lol.

i'm not saying that might not be true, but that's what they did for the Lakers in 2002.

i think they side with Superstars, not length of series.

Kobe & Shaq > the Kings; that's what happened in 2002.

you think David Stern wants to see Lakers/Celtics or Suns/Celtics?

a match-up with decades of history & a re-match of the Finals a few years back, with massive ratings or give Steve Nash the chance to win? lol.

How old are you, kid? Honestly?..The fact that I disagree with 7even on  most of the shit he says doesn't mean he can't be right in some instances. And i never called him a moron, I just think a lot of the shit he says is moronic, but on this occasion, dude was on the money. Now, I already told you, I'm done debating with you. You don't really make sense most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:42:03 PM by NIKCC »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
^dodging, much?

i mean, going into it, i didn't expect you to say, "you're right, the NBA refs fixed Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals & the Lakers really didn't deserve to win".

i think they fix games to get certain players & have certain match-ups in the Finals & you think that they extend series for money.

i'm wrong & you're right because...? you're NIK & you're a genius? your & 7even's theory could very well be true, but the fact either of you would put it past the league to favor it's favorite players is ridiculous.

Tim Donaghy said the league favored players; i remember him telling a story about Jordan being called for a travel & said "that's not a travel for me".

but OBVIOUSLY you know more than the officials involved in the scam, i should of figured that. :laugh:

why on Earth would a guy like you, the biggest homer in sports discussion history, ADMIT that his favorite team got special treatment because it had two of the leagues premier players?

if you're going to try to make a point, at least defend yourself & not use that retarded arguing tactic of yours by calling the other person "stupid" or "you know nothing" because you have nothing to say.

Sccit

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »
^dodging, much?

i mean, going into it, i didn't expect you to say, "you're right, the NBA refs fixed Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals & the Lakers really didn't deserve to win".

i think they fix games to get certain players & have certain match-ups in the Finals & you think that they extend series for money.

i'm wrong & you're right because...? you're NIK & you're a genius? your & 7even's theory could very well be true, but the fact either of you would put it past the league to favor it's favorite players is ridiculous.

Tim Donaghy said the league favored players; i remember him telling a story about Jordan being called for a travel & said "that's not a travel for me".

but OBVIOUSLY you know more than the officials involved in the scam, i should of figured that. :laugh:

why on Earth would a guy like you, the biggest homer in sports discussion history, ADMIT that his favorite team got special treatment because it had two of the leagues premier players?

if you're going to try to make a point, at least defend yourself & not use that retarded arguing tactic of yours by calling the other person "stupid" or "you know nothing" because you have nothing to say.

I never said Lakers didn't get preferential treatment...you're just too stupid to get things, man, and that's why I don't wanna debate with you LOL.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
^i'm sure that's it. ::)