Author Topic: Recovery is for suckers  (Read 673 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Recovery is for suckers
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »
The whole spiel about an industry conspiracy is bullshit, but you'd have to be blind not to see that Em's huge popularity is because of his skin color. I mean the majority of hip hop's fan base is white and they all ride harder for duke than anyone else. Just look at Benzino, what other rapper do you know of who's career and respect was completely destroyed because of a beef? The guy was just an average rapper and now he's known as the worst rapper alive with even less respect than Soulja Boy. And now the same shit is probably going to happen to Jay Electronica, an actually good rapper.
Being a white MC that is actually credible definitely helped Eminem sell some records but I don't think Benzino's downfall was as much a product of his feud with Em as the decisions he made during that feud. Being outsted from The Source was really what did him in. As a rapper, he never got much coverage outside of his own magazine and even in his hometown of Boston, they never played his or his group's music much on the radio. Most people knew about him because he had clout with the most well-known hip-hop magazine in the country. He'd always get featured in there, there were constant ads, and I believe he was always featured on every one of their compilation projects in some form or another. His feud with Em brought a lot of his dealings to the forefront and people who otherwise didn't know or wouldn't have cared were now in the know. I don't think the damage on his career would have been as bad if his career wasn't so reliant on his connection to The Source. That magazine took a pummeling because they chose to ride with Benzino. This had two very costly results. Not only would Interscope and several of its business partners pull their advertising dollars out but they lost out on getting exclusives with Eminem, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, and everyone under that umbrella at a time when G-Unit was the hottest thing in music. This allowed XXL to capitalize by constantly snagging them for covers.

I can't quite say it was all the result of him dissing Eminem. It wasn't as though Benzino was a hugely popular rapper before 2003 so it's not like Kanye pulling the mic out of the girl's hand at the VMA's. He actually sold quite well off the strength of the Em feud at first. I think once it died out, people weren't genuinely interested in what he had to say as an MC and pairing that with the fact that he no longer had The Source in his corner, it was all over. I don't think Jay Electronica is in any danger of facing the same fate.

All I know is that once the video with Jay Electronica came out, there were people all over the internet dissing him and saying they'd never listen to his music again. Only time will tell if it prevents him from having a career, but it definitely shows how Eminem seems to have hardcore fanboys like no one else.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
so basically they saying he shouldn't sing his hooks cause he has a white whiny voice? it's always somebody trying to tell a fucc'n legend how to make his music,gtfoh, i ain't a big fan of the song and i hate that damn near every rap song has to have some fucc'n singing on the hook now,but come on em is good chipper jones yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Jimmy H.

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »
so basically they saying he shouldn't sing his hooks cause he has a white whiny voice? it's always somebody trying to tell a fucc'n legend how to make his music,gtfoh, i ain't a big fan of the song and i hate that damn near every rap song has to have some fucc'n singing on the hook now,but come on em is good chipper jones yell
Exactly. Everyone knows better than the guy whose actually doing it.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
For the record I listened to the song in my beats by dre headphones and it only amplfies how bad the beat is.

Goto the Kanye thread and post your opinion, Ill wait.

Jaydc

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »
For the record I listened to the song in my beats by dre headphones and it only amplfies how bad the beat is.

Which kanye thread?

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »

Which kanye thread?

One with the new single, wanna hear your thoughts.

Jaydc

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »

Which kanye thread?

One with the new single, wanna hear your thoughts.

Link is down. :(

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
I'm disappointed in jay electronica for his general belief in the 5 percenter shit & his conspiracy theory bullshit.  Not because of his music  Luckily not too much has overlapped in between the two.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks