Author Topic: My new favorite anti Laker argument  (Read 1069 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
My new favorite anti Laker argument
« on: May 31, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
Celtic fans have been posting on the LA Times lately that the Laker's first 5 title's don't count because they happened in Minneapolis. LOL. Growing up in California, we always counted those titles, and then when I moved to Minnesota, they don't count those titles to the T-Wolve. In Staples Center, they have a banner honoring those great Lakers team, in Minneapolis they have a statue of George Mikan but no banners honoring the Minneapolis Lakers, but no banners. So my conclusion is that the Lakers titles belong to the Lakers, and not Minneapolis.

17 titles to 15 titles.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: My new favorite anti Laker argument
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »
The Los Angeles Lakers have won 10 titles.
The Boston Celtics have won 17 titles.
The Lakers have won 15 titles.
The Celtics have won 17 titles.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
lmao @ moving clubs to other cities. That's the most ridiculous thing about US sport.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »
lmao @ moving clubs to other cities. That's the most ridiculous thing about US sport.

niggas take capitalism to another level

just ask remedy or any previous sonics fan how they felt when their franchise basically got sold to oklahoma :D
No, it's not a sin

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
Yeah, people up here are still mad at the Lakers, but then again no one went to the games in between Mikan and Baylor. In the 58 season, the Lakers lost over 50 games, and so even after the Lakers drafted Elgin Baylor, no one went to the games. Baylor lead the Minneapolis Lakers to the NBA Finals in his rookie year (to lost to who else, the Celtics), and the Lakers played one more year before moving to LA. Just before they moved to LA, they drafted Jerry West. Can you think of Baylor and West in Minneapolis, it would have been crazy, and the Lakers never would have moved. BUT, since no one went to the games, and the fans in Minnesota don't know how to weather rebuilding years, (people here piss and moan all the time at the thought of a rebuilding year, or drafting youth to lead into the future) the Lakers had to go to a place that was profitable. Since then, the Lakers are very typical of LA. Los Angeles is a place of transplants across the nation. Millions travel to LA to fulfill their dreams, enjoy better weather and to make it in the sunshine. The Lakers are very much LA, just like the Dodgers. Both came from other places to do better in California.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
Celtic fans have been posting on the LA Times lately that the Laker's first 5 title's don't count because they happened in Minneapolis. LOL. Growing up in California, we always counted those titles, and then when I moved to Minnesota, they don't count those titles to the T-Wolve. In Staples Center, they have a banner honoring those great Lakers team, in Minneapolis they have a statue of George Mikan but no banners honoring the Minneapolis Lakers, but no banners. So my conclusion is that the Lakers titles belong to the Lakers, and not Minneapolis.

17 titles to 15 titles.

of course they still count. They were still the Lakers. Now if they changed their name that might be a different story. Browns/Ravens comes to mind.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

theremedy360

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »

Tell me about it :-\. But yeah, in terms of the Lakers Minneapollis titles, I think history should be left in the city that it happened. The fact that Clay Bennet took Seattle's 1979 championship and wants to retire Gary Paytons number makes me want to kill someone.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »

Tell me about it :-\. But yeah, in terms of the Lakers Minneapollis titles, I think history should be left in the city that it happened. The fact that Clay Bennet took Seattle's 1979 championship and wants to retire Gary Paytons number makes me want to kill someone.

Since it's recent history, I can understand that. But I have no problem with the Raiders taking their title with them from their Los Angeles days.

With Seattle, what stands out is they changed the name and everything. The Lakers actually came from Detroit as the Gems before moving to Minneapolis. I would never wish to take the Detroit Gems' history because to me, it wasn't the Lakers. But the move from Minneapolis, the Lakers moved to stay alive, even though they won 5 titles and just made it to the finals again with a promising rookie. To me, Minneapolis lost the Lakers as much as the Lakers left. And actually, some people from Minneapolis agree, and will talk about wishing the Showtime era happened in Minneapolis... lol. I know one thing, the West/Baylor era would have been typical Minnesota, just liked the Vikings of the 70's. LOL

theremedy360

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

Since it's recent history, I can understand that. But I have no problem with the Raiders taking their title with them from their Los Angeles days.

With Seattle, what stands out is they changed the name and everything. The Lakers actually came from Detroit as the Gems before moving to Minneapolis. I would never wish to take the Detroit Gems' history because to me, it wasn't the Lakers. But the move from Minneapolis, the Lakers moved to stay alive, even though they won 5 titles and just made it to the finals again with a promising rookie. To me, Minneapolis lost the Lakers as much as the Lakers left. And actually, some people from Minneapolis agree, and will talk about wishing the Showtime era happened in Minneapolis... lol. I know one thing, the West/Baylor era would have been typical Minnesota, just liked the Vikings of the 70's. LOL

They did change the name, but took our history and retired jerseys, even when we do get a new team we have to "share" our history with that fucking shithole city, but I could go on for days about that. I guess as a fan who has seen his team history stolen I feel like history should  be left with the cities. You presented a good point with your Raider situation, but with them it was only a matter of moving to a city in the same state, not taken and moved across the country, different situation.

Jaydc

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »

just ask remedy or any previous sonics fan how they felt when their franchise basically got sold to oklahoma :D

Or how vancouver lost the grizzlies eevn though they have less fans in memphis then they did here  :'(...still pisses me off to this day.

theremedy360

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »

Or how vancouver lost the grizzlies eevn though they have less fans in memphis then they did here  :'(...still pisses me off to this day.

I feel you man, the Northwest stays getting robbed of teams. No matter how much a team is supported corporate greed/government incompitence can fuck everything up. Out of curiosity, what happened with the Grizzlies that made the ownership want to move them?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:22:08 AM by TheRemedy360 (back from the dead) »

Jaydc

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
The grizzlies was an absolute clusterfuck by the NBA.Lets face it they were terrible and for good reason.Absurd handicaps on the franchise didnt allow them to pick 1st overall even though they had the worst record in basketball for a few years straight.So instead of being able to draft Tim duncan 1st overall,they got the 4th pick and got antonio daniels who was a bust.I mean if your trying to expand into a new market and the team is terrible you would think they would allow them to be able to draft the best players but no they these absurd rules that disallowed them from having the first pick

Stu Jackson is another big reason for their failure,the guy was and always will be a complete idiot.Mark Cuban has gone on record as saying the NBA was the sole reason the franchise went so wrong.hes stated that if the nba made him operate dallas in the same way,that dallas would no longer have a team either.he quoted that int he marketing department the grizzlies only had two employees under jackson and sterns watch.Meanwhile most teams have upwards of 40.

then they allowed the sale of the team to some owner who promised he wouldnt movet he franchise,and the first thign he did was move the franchise.The funniest part of it is,that memphis has less fans and have been terrible as well and continue to be run poorly.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
The grizzlies was an absolute clusterfuck by the NBA.Lets face it they were terrible and for good reason.Absurd handicaps on the franchise didnt allow them to pick 1st overall even though they had the worst record in basketball for a few years straight.So instead of being able to draft Tim duncan 1st overall,they got the 4th pick and got antonio daniels who was a bust.I mean if your trying to expand into a new market and the team is terrible you would think they would allow them to be able to draft the best players but no they these absurd rules that disallowed them from having the first pick

Yet the Lakers could draft Magic back when they already had Jabbar :D Or draft Jerry West back when they already had Elgin Baylor.

Shit is not fair!
No, it's not a sin

theremedy360

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »

Stu Jackson is another big reason for their failure,the guy was and always will be a complete idiot.Mark Cuban has gone on record as saying the NBA was the sole reason the franchise went so wrong.hes stated that if the nba made him operate dallas in the same way,that dallas would no longer have a team either.he quoted that int he marketing department the grizzlies only had two employees under jackson and sterns watch.Meanwhile most teams have upwards of 40.

then they allowed the sale of the team to some owner who promised he wouldnt movet he franchise,and the first thign he did was move the franchise.The funniest part of it is,that memphis has less fans and have been terrible as well and continue to be run poorly.

Yeah a similar thing happened in Seattle when Howard Schultz (Starbucks owner and gazzilionare) sold them to Clay Bennet from Oklahoma., not cause he thought he'd keep them here, but cause he was the highest bidder. Even though he said he was gonna keep the team here everyone knew he was lieing (which is was lead to a slight decrease in support for the teams last two years here). Once Bennet had control of the team he did everything he could to destroy our fan base. It started with trading Ray Allen, then dismantling our team so they could tank and get good draft picks in OKC, it's not a coincidence that the teams last year in Seattle was EASILY their worst year in the franchises history. That cock sucker also wouldn't allow Kevin Durant or Jeff Green to talk on the radio or get involved in the community.Then to cap it all off Greg Nickels (Seattle mayor) sold the Key Areana lease to Clay Bennet which allowed him to move the team two years early. The Sonics should have been in Seattle playing the Lakers this year, not fuckin shithole OKC. This year could've been similar to '95 when Griffey saved the Mariners from moving, but instead our gay ass government didn't do shit about it. Makes me fuckin sick.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:02:59 PM by TheRemedy360 (back from the dead) »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

Yet the Lakers could draft Magic back when they already had Jabbar :D Or draft Jerry West back when they already had Elgin Baylor.

Shit is not fair!
The Lakers went 25–50 before drafting West with the 2nd pick, dipshit.