Author Topic: Freddie Gibbs Interview  (Read 75 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Freddie Gibbs Interview
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
http://www.illuminati2g.com/freddiegibbsinterview.htm

One of the real joys of doing this website thing is getting to interview incredible up and coming talent. Freddie Gibbs is one of those artists and one of my all time favs out there. So to have him on I2G is a real honor. In this interview we talk about his upcoming projects, including 2 BIG collabo albums coming up and much more so sit back and witness greatness.

Illuminati 2G is here with Freddie Gibbs how's it going?

What's going on fam?

Not too much. For those unfamiliar with your music, tell me how you got your start in hip hop and who are some of your musical influences out there.

Ya know, usual suspects, Scarface, 2Pac, Bone Thugs, Devin The Dude, UGK. I started rhyming around 19, 20 years old and it was another outlet for me because I was out there fucking up and doing the wrongs things. So I just used music to help bring me up from all that.

Tell me a little bit about the music scene in Gary, Indiana where you are from.

It is real underground and deeply rooted with the Chicago hip hop scene. We 10 minutes from Chicago and their hip hop scene is ours as well. It ain't too many rappers out here doing alot in Gary right now, but I am trying to do my thing and be on the rise so that I can put on my city right now.

You were recently chosen for the XXL cover for the freshman edition. Tell me a little bit how that came together and your thoughts when you were picked for it.

I was definitely happy about that I glad that XXL and my peers recognized my talents. I am thankful that they seen that I have been grinding at this for a long time and to be on the cover is a honor, on any cover for that matter it is a blessing. A rapper's life is real short right now so it was cool to be a part of that.

Are you currently working on a album that is set to drop in 2010?

Yeah right now I am working on Straight Killa No Filla. It is a mixtape but I normally do not call my projects that but and I am going to have a EP to go along with that as well that people can purchase. After that I am working on a EP that I have with Alchemist entitled The Devil's Palace. That will probably drop the end of this summer.

After that I am working on a group project with Bun B, Chuck Inglish of the Cool Kids, we gonna do a EP for that. I am just trying to do some obscure things with this rapping right now and really go away from the norm.

Just wanted to do a little word association with you. First thing that comes to mind. First thing is Midwest hip hop.

I think we still have work to do. Especially as far as the gangsta rap in the midwest, I don't think we are at the point we should be at. But at the same time I think there are people there that are making strides and do what they have to do. I don't think as a region, we have solidified overselves like the west coast, east coast and down south. I think that we have more work to do and that is what I am trying to do, just bring this midwest hip hop to the forefront and show that we got rhymers, spitters and we definitely have classic artists coming out of here.

Bone Thugs N Harmony, Common, Kanye, you have the older gangsta rappers, Dayton Family, MC Breed. I am just happy to be a part of the whole midwest hip hop scene and I am proud to be from here. If I was from the east coast, west coast or down south, I don't think that my music would have the same effect.

Your thoughts as to being on a major label vs being independent.

It is cool to be on a major if they are going to push you. If they are going to do their part to push and promote you and follow their part in the partnership but to be on a major, sit there and record music for a project the label is not going to put out is not worth it. Sometimes labels do that to hold artists back and if they are slowing the whole process down then it is not worth it.

It is whatever works for that artist. Right now, the independent situation is working for me but if a major wants to partner up with me and be a part of our movement, I am all for that, if it works and makes sense. I am not rhyming to get the attention of the major labels, I am doing it to get my name out there and get my movement going.

Just your thoughts looking back at your mixtape, The Miseducation Of Freddie Gibbs. What were some good memories to have recording that?

That was a dark time in my life when I made that. Some of those songs was a reflection of that and during the time that I was making that tape, I was going through alot of stuff. I just let it all bleed out and that tape pretty much got me back out there doing my thing. After I got dropped by Interscope, I got a little sour on the rap game and everything that was going on in it and I did not want to be a part of it.

When I did that mixtape, I felt like it breathed new life in my lungs.

I have got to say for me personally, that is in my top 10 mixtapes or albums in the last 5 years. Man that joint was insane.

I appreciate that man. Interscope had that on they desk for 2 years man. They did not want to do nothing with it.

Midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmusik. Just some thoughts when you were making that.

Aww man, that tape I was out in Cali doing that and alot of that music was done when I was on Interscope as well. Aside from the 3 or 4 new songs that I put on there, but for the most part I was in the lab, smoking straight chill man. Just trying to set myself apart from the rest of these rap niggas. Letting people know the midwest is in here.

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

I see myself as someone that is respected. I want to be considered one of the best rappers in the game. Whether my fame matches that or not, I could care less. If I am respected and seen as one of the best, I am making money and supporting my family, that is all that matters to me. I really don't give a fuck about being the most famous nigga.

What is your top 5 artists dead or alive?

Pimp C, Bun B, 2Pac and Scarface both would have to share that number one spot. Probably Jay-Z to round it out. He is one of my favorite MCs. Those would be the 5 that were the most instrumental in my career.

A couple months ago Jae Millz made some comments about the XXL freshman edition cover. Pill has responded to him and there is a rumor that you have a response or diss track to what he said. What are your feelings on that?

I don't really give a fuck about Jae Millz. I think that he is a battle rapper and someone that is riding Lil Wayne's dick. He is a dickrider and I don't give a fuck. I think that it is sad that we still putting each other down as black men. Even if you feel we should not have been on the XXL cover, you keep that to yourself.

That is your opinion and I respect that, but once you put your opinion out there in the air, you want me to respond to it. I never bought any of his music, nobody I fuck with, fucks with him, and his opinion really does not matter. Him putting my name out there with the group of 5 niggas was wack and I had to say what I had to say.

It is what it is, and he is definitely not going to get on some street shit with me because only one of us is a street nigga. He is just another rap nigga like 90% of these other clowns. It is just another rap nigga I got to dust off my nuts. Whoever else wants to step up to the plate and get ripped as well. I ain't even tripping, fuck him and his camp.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

I have some shows coming up, nothing solidified yet but right now I am grinding. People just need to watch out for the material, Straight Killa No Filla is coming real soon and Devil's Palace with Alchemist is really going to shut all these niggas up. I am just blessed to be here and blessed to be putting out projects and I am happy to be doing my thing.

What is your website information?

www.freddiegibbs.com. www.twitter.com/freddiegibbs. www.myspace.com/freddiegibbs. www.facebook.com/freddiegibbs. Just google me (laughs).

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you. Appreciate you getting down for the interview. I just want to say, if people say that hip hop is dead, it is in good hands with cats like you out there. I really respect what you are doing out there with your music.

I appreciate you having me and I appreciate you taking the time to listen to me. This time last time last year I could have been in the can, so I appreciate you interviewing me.

No problem. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Nah man, just Freddie Gibbs baby, be on the lookout, mothafuckas better beware.

Appreciate the interview.

Alright thanks.

Blood$

Re: Freddie Gibbs Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »
very dope read

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
Good read. Seems like dudes keep SLEEPIN on Gangsta Gibbs though...

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
everbody sleepin about to pretend they wasnt now, an ep with the alchemist and project with bun b? boy dont folks look silly now

gibbs is the truth!  8)

props on the interview. great stuff