Author Topic: Backbone Interview: Dungeon Family 1st Generation  (Read 113 times)

Lunatic

Backbone Interview: Dungeon Family 1st Generation
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »

http://www.wordofsouth.com/2010/06/21/backbone-interview/

WordofSouth.com: We have Dungeon Family royalty in the building, Backbone is here with us. How are you doing? Thanks for taking the time to speak with us.

Backbone: I’m cool as a fan up here in Stankonia [studios] listening to the Big Boi album.  He’s got a great project dropping in the summer. You know it’s the Dungeon Family. What’s happening? I’m on it my brother, what’s the deal?

WordofSouth.com: In your mind, how historical was September 19th, 2009, the date of the Goodie Mob reunion concert?

Backbone: It felt really good to grace the stage with such legendary artists as Goodie Mob and seeing all of the guys together. People think it was a misunderstanding between the four guys but this is what people don’t understand, it was never no beef or misunderstanding or whatever. They had to go into there own entity and be there own people. It really felt good to perform again after five years. People know I traveled the world with Goodie Mob. I was like the unofficial fifth member for a long time. Saturday night felt good. It was definitely historical.

WordofSouth.com: That’s why we got at you to speak on it because you really were like a fifth member. Did it feel like a much needed reunion and was it good to see everybody together?

Backbone: Not necessarily for The Dungeon Family, but for hip-hop as a whole. The concert made news across the world. People outside of Atlanta, people outside the state of Georgia and people outside of the United States have responded to the rebirth of this organization. They were hearing about this and people have been talking about it all over the globe. It’s that monumental.

WordofSouth.com: What was the crowd reaction like?

Backbone: There were about 5,000 people out there. It was pandemonium. There was a light drizzle but the crowd went hard from the jump. Pastor Troy, The YoungbloodZ and DJ Kizzy Rock also performed. By the time the Goodie Mob hit the stage, they were already energized because those guys warmed them up. It was great.

WordofSouth.com: Did it feel just like old times or did you get a new vibe?

Backbone: Definitely. The situation was timeless. “Get Rich to This” came out 11 years ago and the crowd reacted like it was on the radio yesterday. It still gets airplay but people haven’t lost interest in hearing it. That’s just the love they got for Goodie Mob period, you see what I’m saying? It feels good.

WordofSouth.com: Can you give us a run down of which artists you consider Dungeon Family members were not in the building at the show last year?

Backbone: Andre 3000 wasn’t there. Cool Breeze wasn’t there. Witchdoctor wasn’t there. Rico Wade and Big Rube were all in the crowd. Mr. DJ the producer, he was in the crowd. Pretty much everybody was there. Cool Breeze had a prior arrangement and Witchdoctor was in Philadelphia.

WordofSouth.com: Slimm Calhoun was there, Konkrete and so on.

Backbone: Definitely Slimm Calhoun was there. Those guys were all there in support of the movement.

WordofSouth.com: How do you keep the unity going from this point on?

Backbone: Just by creating in your own area. You gotta’ make sure you do what you gotta’ do to support the family as a whole. You need to have everything in order and on deck. That’s the purpose of it.

WordofSouth.com: Where did you get the nickname Mr. Fat Face 100 from?

Backbone: It ain’t really a nickname; they suit me with that because I keep fat face one hundred dollar bills. Its self explanatory, you feel me?

WordofSouth.com: Reflect on your “Concrete Law” album for us?

Backbone: “Concrete Law” was the way I saw the world through my eyes. Goodie Mob had their story, OutKast had their story and “Concrete Law” was the story I told. That was through me. It was a little more urban but it was my story. I followed up with a lot of things and people wanted to hear my side. I gave it to them raw with “Concrete Law.”

WordofSouth.com: Do you have a favorite track off the album?

Backbone: I don’t have a favorite because I put my heart in that album. I wrote that album at my grandmother’s house. Basically, I wrote that entire album in my neighborhood. Definitely my heart was in that entire album.

WordofSouth.com: Why has there been such a long delay to get another project from you since “Concrete Law” dropped?

Backbone: Because I had to get my life together. The Lord wasn’t gonna’ allow me to produce if the seeding wasn’t right. I wasn’t living right so I wasn’t going to be sprinkled with blessing because I wasn’t living right. I had to find out who I was as an individual; not as an artist, but as an individual. It took time. “5 Deuce, 4 Tre”, seven means spiritual completeness and eight means new beginnings. It just past eight year since that album has been out so this is a new beginning and I feel good. I’m very sober. I wasn’t doing any hard drugs but I was drinking a lot of liqor and smoking a lot of marijuana. I was taking certain things for granted. That stuff is not in my life.  It’s a new beginning.

WordofSouth.com: So have you quit drinking alcohol and smoking weed?

Backbone: Oh yeah, definitely. It wasn’t anything but a setback in my life. I’m not knocking anybody that does it but for me, I’ve been going so hard for me. I just let it go and that’s not me anymore.

WordofSouth.com: Will that reflect a change in your music?

Backbone: Yeah, definitely. You’ll hear a more distinctive flow and less aggression. You’ll definitely hear the bite in my rhymes. The flow is much smoother. I‘ve been on the grind and pressed a few buttons. I named the new album “Controlled Substance” and I’m gonna’ give it to the people raw just like I did the first time. These folk are gonna’ feel me on “Controlled Substance.”

WordofSouth.com: The new album is called “Controlled Substance.” Does that have anything to do with you quitting drinking and smoking?

Backbone: It has nothing to do with that at all. “Concrete Law” was the laws of the streets. When you’re in the streets, you typically move a product, and the product is typically a pure product, which was tentatively the name of my album but I switched that up. The product was so pure that I decided to call it “Controlled Substance.” “The Backbone Experience” will be the name of the mixtape and “Controlled Substance” will be the name of the album.

WordofSouth.com: I’m assuming the mixtape is coming first?

Backbone: I might do a little digital distribution situation. That’s kind of on the low right now but I might do that to warm people up. After that, I’ll put the big bam on them.

WordofSouth.com: So it may be a digital deal for the mixtape, and what is the distribution label deal like for the album right now?

Backbone: We’re just making a few things happen. We’re trying to find the right home that will understand Backbone this time around. Will see which one really puts there foot down and gets it out there. If no major wants to do it then we’ll go independent. I will definitely be shaking hands and kissing babies and their momma’s.

WordofSouth.com: Are you eyeballing a release date at all?

Backbone: It’s definitely 2010 some time. It has to be because it’s been too long since the people heard me. I gotta’ get out there quickly.

WordofSouth.com: So that’ll be next year. How much percent of the album would you say is done at this time?

Backbone: I got a lot of songs. I am ready to go right now. I’m just gonna’ sit back and marinate all of that and make sure I got the right singles to do what I need to do. Atlanta is a tricky market. You need to either come out with an over the top record or a stupid club banger. Right now, I’m right in-between so I’m looking for one that can touch both sides.

WordofSouth.com: So in your opinion, how was the dirty south hip-hop scene changed since you released “Concrete Law”?

Backbone: The music game has changed drastically. The industry is looking for one hit wonders. Remember back in the days when you’d go buy a 99 cent single? The game is back to that. There is no substance in the music anymore and artists are not being developed you see these guys who come out with a hot song today and are gone tomorrow. Labels aren’t establishing music. Then you have the artists that appreciate the essence of the music and remember that music is an art. We still have to do our thing. I’m trying to make the congregation understand that because there is a lot of ignorance out there right now.

WordofSouth.com: Which type of production are you working with for the project?

Backbone: I got a bunch of new producers from all over; just a lot of new guys. You know I’ll definitely have your Organized Noize and maybe a few cuts from Nitti; I’m gonna’ have your over the top guys too, but I just really wanna’ keep it real simple but elegant.

WordofSouth.com: The last album had a lot of Dungeon Family guest appearances like BlackOwned C-Bone, Blvd. International, ChamDon, and so on. Will you have those Dungeon Family names on this new album?

Backbone: When you speak about the Dungeon Family you have to understand that this is an alliance. We are an elite alliance of MC’s which includes OutKast, Goodie Mob, Cool Breeze, Witchdoctor and myself.

WordofSouth.com: So which type of guests are you working with for this album?

Backbone: I probably won’t go too deep in the family. I just want to exploit my lyrical talent to let them know I have a little substance about myself.

WordofSouth.com: We’re right here with Backbone, the Dungeon Family representer and you just got the official word from the man. He has ”The Backbone Experience” mixtape, “Controlled Substance” is the album and he is coming back hard. Dungeon Family is back in full effect as you can clearly see. We really appreciate your time Backbone; do you have any last words before I let you go?

Backbone: Make sure you support this new Goodie Mob movement because they’re back at it. Big Boi solo’s project “Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty” is dropping July 6th. Cee-Lo also has a solo record. Get ready for that Andre 3000 solo record. It’s really coming along. Witchdoctor is also working on a new album. Also, look for that Mama’s Mustache. And of course you gotta’ be anticipating the birth and essence of “Controlled Substance”, the follow up to “Concrete Law”, you understand me? I’m gonna’ give it to them raw as I always did, you feel me?

– INTERVIEW BY: Justin Melo
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Re: Backbone Interview: Dungeon Family 1st Generation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »
atlantas original trap rapper..wasnt nobody in the south on that trap shit til concrete law hit...

say say saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayee

i got his remix of bmf..jammin..cant wait til he drops a new 1..long over due..

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
^ Yes sir indeed..3rd always know what up..

And we debutin' a new Backbone song tonight..could be any minute now..that classic Backbone/DF sound I promise..

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
outside of the screwed up click..the dungeon is the real southern wu tang..everybody in the dungeon go hard..from p.a to witchdoctor..i own everything the entire camp has ever released..even lil will's tape...

people missed out on alot of shit from the dungeon..everybody they released released some classic shit...n if people that never heard em be4 n they get em now..they would instantly become a fan..

had a couple of potnas from up top and on the west coast..ask me to hook em up with some southern shit.. i made dubs of everybody in the dungeon...n the last cd was the dungeon family album..and they all became fans all over again..n i didnt include no outkast albums

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »
outside of the screwed up click..the dungeon is the real southern wu tang..everybody in the dungeon go hard..from p.a to witchdoctor..i own everything the entire camp has ever released..even lil will's tape...

people missed out on alot of shit from the dungeon..everybody they released released some classic shit...n if people that never heard em be4 n they get em now..they would instantly become a fan..

had a couple of potnas from up top and on the west coast..ask me to hook em up with some southern shit.. i made dubs of everybody in the dungeon...n the last cd was the dungeon family album..and they all became fans all over again..n i didnt include no outkast albums

U aint kiddin.. A lot of ppl think DF is just OutKast & Goodie Mob or somethin..forgettin' about ppl like Backbone,Slimm Calhoun,PA,Witchdoctor,Lil Will, etc.... Every one go damn hard..

Thats crazy that u aint even include the OutKast shit and they still loved it..

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »
i know..i me n my potnas n homegirls..always get in a debate..how outkast r the best out the dungeon...

n im the only one who can name 3 people in the dungeon u can..if they wanted..would wreck outkast n could be greater than the 2..

thats killer mike n cee-lo or cee-lo n gipp

n boys always ask y gipp..i tell em listen to old outkast..old goodie mob

he shitted on both dre n big on sky high

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
i know..i me n my potnas n homegirls..always get in a debate..how outkast r the best out the dungeon...

n im the only one who can name 3 people in the dungeon u can..if they wanted..would wreck outkast n could be greater than the 2..

thats killer mike n cee-lo or cee-lo n gipp

n boys always ask y gipp..i tell em listen to old outkast..old goodie mob

he shitted on both dre n big on sky high

I respect yo opinion, I agree Cee-Lo, Mike & Gipp are all dope, but I love me some OutKast too much to agree with that lol.. And IMO, aint Killer Mike got even better as he go on? Cee-Lo still dope but like 3000, only when he wanna rap.. And Gipp kinda fell off IMO.. Hopefully he regain it with this Goodie Mob reunion..

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 12:13:50 AM »
cool breeze was easily only second to cee-lo and andre as far as dopest from the DF
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

Iowa1

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »
Lookn forward to what he has coming out.  Just hope they materialize.  Never heard that Lil Will tape.  Is it any good? How would you rate it amongst the rest of the DF releases?

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
if interscope didnt know what they had in cool breeze..and he was the only southern rapper on the label when eastpoint dropped

he was ti before ti was thought of..put kp ti's grandfather(dude that discovered gave ti his 1st break),ti, cool breeze and organized noize bet kp will make tip thank cool breeze 4 fatherin his style

kp is 1st generation dungeon due to him bein in the group p.a.

cool is cool.. he number on my list of dungeon mc's

lil will tape is cool..pimp c is on it...tlc's waterfall tune came from a melody on the tape...ill put it up if anybody want it...it never hit the stores..it got shelved ..n i got it from 2stacks when they were in dallas doin a episode of flava tv back in the late 90s

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
^ I wouldn't mind hearing that Will tape..