Author Topic: What's your favorite hip hop song of the past four years  (Read 456 times)

Blood$

Re: What's your favorite hip hop song of the past four years
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »
Crooked I - If You Ever Hear Me

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
I was going to create a thread about my rambling about several hip-hop songs that have come out in the past couple years that have been really powerful but heavily slept. I decided against it but since you created this thread,  I'll share here.

REKS I Ain't Shit
Album: More Grey Hairs

Description: A leftover track from the Grey Hairs sessions happens to be my favorite song from REKS.  Note the intense descriptions about struggle from outside influences balanced out by the inner battle to be responsible.

Elzhi Featuring Black Milk Fire
Album: Euro-Pass

Description: Black Milk crafts a masterful beat that sounds like thunder.  Elzhi tears the track apart.  Listen to his multis and his wordplay.  The spirit of the D captured in a track.  I love it!  Easily one of my favorite hip-hop tracks from the past couple of years.

Bishop Lamont & Black Milk Featuring Phat Kat & Elzhi Goatit
Album: Caltroit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx3EN5ultFE/
Description: Black Milk creates yet another thunderous beat.  This time Bishop Lamont, Phat Kat, and Elzhi assist in providing intense lyrical play.  Bishop Lamont easily shines through with his intense flow and lyrical beating.  There's a nice little instrumental outro too.

Bishop Lamont Can't Figure It Out
Album: The Confessional

Description:  A reflection on struggles.  Pure, simple, honest.  It's fresh.  Nuff said.  

Bishop Lamont Everyday
Album: The Confessional

Description:  A testimony to being alive.   He describes logical reasons why any body should take the chance of being alive and live to the fullest.  Motivational while not being preachy.  Nice critiques of how religion can hinder natural growth.  +1  

The Game Bang Along
Album: N/A

Description: Game takes a route of honesty and reflects on his childhood and the music he makes.  This is when Game shines the brightest.  He sheds the bullshit marketing image and reveals his truths.  Nice sample.  It's hip-hop baby!

The Game Heaven
Album: N/A - L.A.X recording sessions

Description:  It's just Game boasting about how he's the shit and surprisingly it works.  I love the vocal delivery.  He even does the chorus with an extension of his vocals.  I dig it.  His singing abilities are average but there's a nice little technical touch up on his enunciation of heaven.   It's not complicated and it's not over the top like other tracks from the LAX sessions
Side note: Game is easily top 5 vocalists form the past 10 years.

50 Cent Strong Enough
Album: Before I Self Destruct

Description:  50 sounds vicious as ever.  Classic braggadocio.  Dope delivery? Yes sah!  Dope beat? Yes sah!  It some how manages to be energetic while being classy.  I love it.

50 Cent Hustler's Ambition
Album: Get Rich or Die Trying soundtrack

Description:  50 loves hate.  He uses it as fuel as the song explains.  Another classic hip-hop track from 50.  
I don't know shit about gymnastics.  I summersault bricks.
How can anyone deny this?

Lloyd Banks Shine Thru
Album: Top 5 or Better Series: Tape 2 - Halloween Havoc

Description: Banks reflects on the passing of his mother and the influence she had on his life.  It's raw, emotional, and vivid story telling.  I wish he spit on a personal level more often.

Lloyd Banks I Am Legend
Album: Top 5 or Better Series: Tape 1 - Return of the PLK

Description: Banks flexes his flow and his lyrics over a dope beat.  I love this shit!  

I am a don, wipe my feet.
I don't know what song its but I always have right to eat.
So, therefore it's mine to eat.
Eat my lambourghini dust.
Niggas is grimy so only in hammers we can trust.
Tell it's a slammer and them cuffs.
I am legend, I make mixtape heaven. You peasant.
You don't want to be 187. You're done.
I break bread in the summer so in the winter I come.

I have to stop myself or I'll type it all out.  He just murders it.

Crooked I Imagine Freestyle
Album: Hip-Hop Weekly Series - Week 25

Description: Crooked does what he does.  Devastation.  Best part?  It's about dedication to your dreams and ambition.  If music doesn't move you what's the point?  I'm moved.  

Immortal Technique Mistakes
Album: 3rd World [/i]

Description: Bob Marley and the Wailers sample flipped to allow Technique to provide commentary on the choices one can make a life and how to avoid making mistakes by changing your perspective.  Real shit!  Peep it.

Common Featuring Cee-Lo G.O.D (Gaining One's Definition)
Album: One Day It'll All Make Sense[/i]

Description:  Easily one of the most slept on MCs.  I know it's from 1997 but he's slept on I went back in the crates.  It's Common letting the world know about growing up and how to rule religion.

Common Featuring Cee-Lo Make My Day
Album: Universal Mind Control[/i]

Description: I'm committing such a sin to some folks by bigging up Universal Mind Control but album is dope.  The first two tracks are questionable but the rest of the album is on point.  I guess cats have a hard time adjusting to a "different" sound.  It's a simple, peaceful, fun track about attraction.   Classic summer track.  Can't feel this?  You're not living.

Qwel Crazy As Me
Album: Caffeine Dreams [/i]

Description:  Every sit and wonder why?  Qwel does too.  Classic from the underground of Chicago.

Kid Cudi Featuring Wale Is There Any Love?
Album: A Kid Named Cudi

Description: Cudi and Wale spit.  Dope collaboration between two "new school" MCs.  

Kid Cudi Soundtrack to My Life
Album: Man on The Mood: End of the Day[/i]

Description:  Cudi laces a track about his life.  Nice little glimpses into his childhood and how even shaped who he is today.  A little dramatic?  Probably but it's genuine.  Only a hater will deny it.  

There's some more track I want to highlight and will later.

nice list. A lot of these are my favorites. I'll have to check out the ones I haven't heard

The Come Up Shuffle

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five - Freedom

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
just thought of some more.

WC - Dodgeball
Wu-Tang - The Heart Gently Weeps
Wu-Tang - Life Changes
Game - Angel
Game - Bulletproof Diaries
Lil' Wayne - Something You Forgot
Lil Wayne - Shoot Me Down
Nas - Sly Fox
Nas - We're Not Alone

EDIT: just bumped Nas' "Untitled" again, that whole album makes my list now lol; that shit was fucking ill. 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:02:31 PM by Chamillitary Click »

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
just thought of some more.

WC - Dodgeball

forgot about song, twas banging.

teecee

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
Surviving the Times- Nas     

if you ain't heard it, check it.  Was off his greatest hits...incredible song, way better than anything off                                    his     recent albums

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
Surviving the Times- Nas     

if you ain't heard it, check it.  Was off his greatest hits...incredible song, way better than anything off                                    his     recent albums

funny how he used the sample exactly the same way as in this song, hook and everything: