Author Topic: VH1's top 100 hip hop songs list overlooked on the West dynasty  (Read 586 times)

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: VH1's top 100 hip hop songs list overlooked on the West dynasty
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
99 Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz ft/ Ying Yang Twins – “Get Low”
97 Eve – “Who’s that Girl”
91 Chamillionaire ft. Krayzie Bone – “Ridin’”
89 Cam’ron – “Oh Boy”
68 T.I. – “What You Know”
58 Ludacris ft. Shawna- “What’s Your Fantasy”
50 Lil’ Wayne – “Tha Block Is Hot”
36 Nelly – “Hot In Herre”
20 Kanye West ft/ Jamie Foxx – “Gold Digger”
16 Missy Elliott – “Get Ur Freak On”

Seriously? I like all these songs, but I wouldn't even put these in a top 200.

man looking at that makes me think they did they list on rap songs with video's they liked,not the best actual hip hop songs yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

love33

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
99 Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz ft/ Ying Yang Twins – “Get Low”
97 Eve – “Who’s that Girl”
91 Chamillionaire ft. Krayzie Bone – “Ridin’”
89 Cam’ron – “Oh Boy”
68 T.I. – “What You Know”
58 Ludacris ft. Shawna- “What’s Your Fantasy”
50 Lil’ Wayne – “Tha Block Is Hot”
36 Nelly – “Hot In Herre”
20 Kanye West ft/ Jamie Foxx – “Gold Digger”
16 Missy Elliott – “Get Ur Freak On”

Seriously? I like all these songs, but I wouldn't even put these in a top 200.

man looking at that makes me think they did they list on rap songs with video's they liked,not the best actual hip hop songs yell

It looks like a 'throw together' list with those tracks like "Block is hot" was not even a huge hit when it dropped, so how is it a Top 100 song to VH1? When you examine the list, it's like they just tried to throw 1 song in from each artist rather than a real list.  "Big Poppa" wasn't on the list, that was Big's marquee single.  They put 1 song from Pac, 1 from Big, 1 from Snoop, 1 from Dre.  Then they threw those tracks on above like gold digger and get ur freak on because those artists are the ones they are on their nuts on VH1 and beggin them for interviews like Kanye, Luda, Missy, and Wayne.  Could you imagine they try to get an interview and then Wayne or T.I. goes "wait, you haters didn't include me on your list."

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »
Regulate #98? I dunno about that shit. There are few tracks that make you think "Westcoast" more than this one.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

love33

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Regulate #98? I dunno about that shit. There are few tracks that make you think "Westcoast" more than this one.

warren g was a dominate force in the 90's.  he had mad hits like "do u see," "i shot the sherriff," "to all my djs," "what we go thru," "whats love got to do with it," "relax ya mind," "i want it all," etc.

i cant stand it when peeps are like "he's the Regulator," like his only song he ever did in his entire career was "Regulate."  How did Warren go from droppin a bunch of hit singles on the radio to the guy that only had one song?

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »

warren g was a dominate force in the 90's.  he had mad hits like "do u see," "i shot the sherriff," "to all my djs," "what we go thru," "whats love got to do with it," "relax ya mind," "i want it all," etc.

i cant stand it when peeps are like "he's the Regulator," like his only song he ever did in his entire career was "Regulate."  How did Warren go from droppin a bunch of hit singles on the radio to the guy that only had one song?

Im not really sure if you are agreein with me or arguin with me lol. Shit...I aint even sure if you think Im dissin Warren or givin him props. But just to make it clear. Im sayin I would put Regulate higher than #98 on this list. I dont think there are many tracks out there that reflect what Westcoast Hip Hop was about in the 90's more than this.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

love33

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »

Im not really sure if you are agreein with me or arguin with me lol. Shit...I aint even sure if you think Im dissin Warren or givin him props. But just to make it clear. Im sayin I would put Regulate higher than #98 on this list. I dont think there are many tracks out there that reflect what Westcoast Hip Hop was about in the 90's more than this.

I agree with you.  That track should be in the Top 30 on any list.  That track pushed the G-Funk Era and opened new doors for other artists like Twinz, Foesum, & Dove Shack.  All I'm sayin is that Warren isn't being recognized for any of his other work, and he had a lot of other tracks that were good in the 90's, but no one seems to want to give him any credit for anything except "Regulate."

When people talk Snoop, they talk "What's My Name," "Gin and Juice," "Doggy Dogg World," "Groupie," "Upside Ya Head," ,"Lodi Dodi," his work on the Chronic, etc.  But when they talk about Warren G on tv and in the media all they say is "yeah he's the guy that did Regulate."  Yeah, dude dropped 'Regulate,' but he also dropped a grip of other tracks that were huge at the time on the mainstream and he never gets no props or shine for in 2010.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
^^^ Bullshit.

I like Warren G but alot of those records that you named were only classic in their time and not overall Top100 worthy.  U might as well throw in "U Better Recognize" if your goin like that or "Safe N Sound" or .  

But "Tha Block Is Hot" may not be a top 100 track, true.  But "Tha Block Is Hot" was crack back when it came out.  People just don't appreciate Weezy (especially on here and other forums).  But dude is like 1 of the top 20 Hip Hop Rappers to ever come out (and he wouldn't even be #20).  We can debate HipHop but let's not persuade hate.  

ikke

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
List sucks but not because of the lack of west.
No Nas tracks, 2 Wu-Tang track, no G Rap is what makes the list bad.
Too Much Old School shit like Run DMC, those nursery rhymes would be called wack today.

Too pop orientated

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »
LOL. I just realized they left off possibly the greatest hip hop song of all time. How can they not include Shook Ones on the list?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 02:24:04 PM »
i will say this again tho my equals THIS IS FUCC'N VH-1! hahaha,and to be honest from some responses on here, y'all list would be horrible to,nothing but west coast songs as the best ever get the fucc outta here, do you see from warren as a 100 greatest hip hop song? hahhahahaha it's like shit would be vh-1 from a west coast perspective hahaha, a legit wests song would be six in the morning,today was a good day,boyz in the hood,freaky tales,regulate,ain't no fun (didn't have to be a single throw that bitch on everybody lose it and rap along),california love, nothing but a g thang,gin and juice,i got 5 on it,dream teams in the house,all in the same gang,baby got bacc,supersonic,can't touch this,wild thing,bust a move,dear mama,new york new york (the video alone),jacc'n for beats, just say no,passing me by,93 till infinity,i wish, <-------- all legit hits yell

love33

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
^^^ Bullshit.

I like Warren G but alot of those records that you named were only classic in their time and not overall Top100 worthy.  U might as well throw in "U Better Recognize" if your goin like that or "Safe N Sound" or .  

But "Tha Block Is Hot" may not be a top 100 track, true.  But "Tha Block Is Hot" was crack back when it came out.  People just don't appreciate Weezy (especially on here and other forums).  But dude is like 1 of the top 20 Hip Hop Rappers to ever come out (and he wouldn't even be #20).  We can debate HipHop but let's not persuade hate.  

Warren G was way bigger than DJ Quik and Sam Sneed at the time.  At a point, Dre, Warren G, and Snoop were considered the Big 3 on the Westcoast.  And they were soaking up airplay in the midwest and the south too, so it wasn't like we were just hearing this music on the West coast.  Go watch some of his classic videos on Youtube like "Do you see," "smokin me out," "this D.J." etc.  He was a revolutionary act.  I'm not saying that he was the best or he was a great emcee.  I'm saying that he put his imprint on Hip Hop and he was a commercial phenom at the time no matter how they try to rewrite history.  I'm by no means saying on a hand picked list should ALL his hits be included but he definitely deserves to be looked at as more than a one-hit wonder.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
^^^ Bullshit.

Warren G was way bigger than DJ Quik and Sam Sneed at the time.  At a point, Dre, Warren G, and Snoop were considered the Big 3 on the Westcoast.  And they were soaking up airplay in the midwest and the south too, so it wasn't like we were just hearing this music on the West coast.  Go watch some of his classic videos on Youtube like "Do you see," "smokin me out," "this D.J." etc.  He was a revolutionary act.  I'm not saying that he was the best or he was a great emcee.  I'm saying that he put his imprint on Hip Hop and he was a commercial phenom at the time no matter how they try to rewrite history.  I'm by no means saying on a hand picked list should ALL his hits be included but he definitely deserves to be looked at as more than a one-hit wonder.

some good points but a revolutionary act? that's over doing it and reeks of a lil bit of stanism, but as far as being a phenom at the time he was,and he was the only west coast act that def jam really put some "networth chipper jones" behind,cause if you look at the doc movie they put out 'THE SHOW" warren was all over that shit he fucc'n had the main role,now that's what you can't take away from the equal yell

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »
i ain't knockin Warren and i loved Regulate (the album) but considering how much other music was released since HipHop 1st got it's burn then tracks like "this dj" and "do you see" couldn't be considered a top 100.  i didn't even like "do u see" that much, it was cool and listenable but it wasn't anything special. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »
its vhi ::)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
2pac - i get around in the top 10 or wtv??? i like pac and looooooooooooooooooove that song but its not top 10 lol