Author Topic: DUBCNN EXCLUSIVE: Darren Vegas Interview (Crooked I/Death Row/Hood Star)  (Read 346 times)

Chad

http://dubcnn.com/
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/darrenvegas2010

Darren Vegas is a multi-platinum producer who has worked with several of hip-hop’s finest including Snoop Dogg, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Crooked I, Too Short, Boo Yaa Tribe, and 40 Glocc aka Big Bad 40 (Welcome To Cali) to name only a few. Raised in Orange County, CA, Darren is no stranger to the west coast music scene, as his first label Killa Cali Records released the group Killafornia Organization, with the help of Tha Chill (of CMW) and sold 350,000 of that record. From there, Darren’s production would soon get noticed by Snoop Dogg, which led to him producing “Dippin’ In My Low Low” featuring the LBC Crew for the Tha Doggfather album.

Soon after, Darren's career was in full motion. It was then when an M.C. by the name of Crooked I came into the picture. After their first record at Virgin failed to come out over a record company scandal the two joined forces and began recording Crook’s new record “Untouchable Cali”. It was during this time that Crooked I, who had then signed to a deal with Dogg Pound records, hashed a deal with Death Row and Suge Knight. After Big C Style, Daz and Suge fell out Crookid then signed a deal directly with Death Row.

While at Death Row, Darren produced on 2Pac’s “Until The End of Time” and “Nu Mixx Klassics”, the “Dysfunktional Family” soundtrack, several tracks for TLC’s Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes’ N.I.N.A. project, Crooked I, Keyshia Cole, Ray J, Kurupt and others.

Dubcnn sits down with multi-platinum and Hood Star producer Darren Vegas for an exclusive interview, where we discuss Death Row & Suge Knight, Crooked I’s only official solo album to date, why Hood

Stay tuned to dubcnn for the latest on Darren Vegas!

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/darrenvegas2010
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

JohnnyL

Good read.  I hope Wideawake bought that Crooked I material off of Vegas if they didn't already have it.  Not sure what tracks they still have after Lavi filled up the U-Haul with Death Row DATs and got the fuck out of dodge.

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Props chad!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

MarshColin

I have some stuff for WIDEawake/Death Row, which is a completely un-leaked album of Crooked I. I have the Left Eye [Lisa Lopes] stuff; I did the bulk of her project. I even have some stuff with Kurupt over there.

I guess we still have hope for some dope WideAwake releases in the future! Let's pray that Darren has Untouchable. Pretty sure he produced Bang On Em (solo version), Crook Show, & Raw Doggs which were all Untouchable tracks.

machete

• 'G'
curious to know what songs are on that album, and the rest of the stuff he mentioned especially kurupt

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
good looking.
And good luck to darren vegas for the future...

Chad

Thanks for all the feedback!  Keep it coming...
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com

MarshColin

Maybe we could get a follow up interview that details his career more. I know who he's worked with, but it would be interesting to hear how he hooked up with certain artists, more stories about his time as a producer on Death Row, etc. Either way it was a great read Chad. Thanks.

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
^^I agree

doggfather

good interview!
thank U!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Chad

Maybe we could get a follow up interview that details his career more. I know who he's worked with, but it would be interesting to hear how he hooked up with certain artists, more stories about his time as a producer on Death Row, etc. Either way it was a great read Chad. Thanks.

No doubt!  We have a alot of good things coming from Darren....stay tuned!

www.chadkiser.com

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
Wow he says he gave a whole unleaked album to WA,  the Untouchable album?
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

bigdave

• Lil Geezy
Interesting reading, much respect to Darren Vegas.
I just got a copy of Hoodstar myself.
Stand out tracks for me so far are;
* Cali Luv 3
*House Party
*So Damn Hood
*Me And My Dogg

Cant wait for more Death Row era Crook.
Props WA/DEATH ROW on a real solid release.

bigpimpin20

i hope we will see his works with Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. soon :)

acgrundy

I never knew he had anything to do w/ killafornia organization...that is a pretty dope album