Author Topic: Gallas joins Tottenham  (Read 183 times)

Elano

Gallas joins Tottenham
« on: August 20, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
WILLIAM GALLAS is set to sign for Spurs - and instantly become a hate figure for Arsenal fans.

The free-agent former Gunners captain will have a medical and is due to sign a one-year deal over the weekend.

A pal said: "Apart from a few details, everything has been agreed and William will have a medical on Friday."

Gallas met Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp last night and asked for a two-year contract but only a year was on offer.

Redknapp was desperate to boost his defence due to the long-standing injury problems of Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate.

Gallas, 33, will not be registered in time to face Stoke tomorrow or play in the crucial second leg of the Champions League qualifier against Young Boys with Spurs 3-2 down.

He was let go by Arsenal after refusing to accept a one-year deal that included a pay cut.

The ex-Chelsea centre-half suffered abuse from fans every time he went back to Stamford Bridge.

But that will be nothing compared to the reception he will get at the Emirates on November 21.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

He will have a medical at White Hart Lane today after leaving Arsenal on a free transfer this summer. According to reports he will be offered a one year contract at £90,000-a-week, more than what Arsenal were offering to the 33-year-old.

The Frenchman was on £80,000-a-week at the Emirates after moving from Chelsea in 2006 and made over 140 appearances for the club. He was told by Arsenal he would have to take a pay cut if he wanted to stay. In 2008 he was stripped of the captaincy by manager Arsène Wenger after he publicly criticised the team, but returned to form last season, forming a strong centre-back partnership Thomas Vermaelen.

Gallas becomes the sixth player to make the switch from Arsenal to Tottenham. The most recent and famous one was Sol Campbell back in 2001, as he moved from Tottenham to Arsenal on a free transfer, stating he wanted to play Champions League football and wanted to challenge for honours at Arsenal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:11:38 AM by ELANO »

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Gallas joins Tottenham
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
Pointless move for Spurs, they don't need him, Gallas has no legs anymore and always causes problems

Elano

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:19 AM »
what's next for gallas ? west ham or fulham next year ? or crystal palace ?

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:53 AM »
 :grumpy:

kemizt

Elano

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
"I've not signed the Yorkshire Ripper, I've signed a footballer."  ;D

Boss Redknapp has created a storm by bringing William Gallas to White Hart Lane.

The defender, pictured yesterday after meeting his new team-mates, quit bitter rivals Arsenal in a contract row.

But Redknapp said: "What has Gallas done? He is a footballer. It's not the Yorkshire Ripper I am signing is it?

"It's all cobblers, I have signed on a free transfer a very good player who wanted to play for Tottenham. He's got the bottle to come here.

"He's not done it for money. I think he could have earned a lot more money if he stayed at Arsenal, he could have gone to a couple of Italian clubs."

Spurs fans screamed abuse at former defender Sol Campbell whenever he returned to play after joining Arsenal and even strung up an effigy of him outside the main gates.

Gallas has come in because Redknapp has just two fit central defenders - Michael Dawson and Sebastien Bassong - with fresh doubt over Jonathan Woodgate's career.

The former England defender, 30, has played one game in a year.

And Redknapp admitted: "He is to have a final op on his groin then we will have to make a decision."

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:43:53 AM »
Decent signing for free. If they can get past BSC Young Boys he'll offer them valuable Champions League experience. Also, a great back up for when Ledley King's legs go jelly again.

Elano

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:31 AM »
Decent signing for free. If they can get past BSC Young Boys he'll offer them valuable Champions League experience. Also, a great back up for when Ledley King's legs go jelly again.

King can play only one time a week

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »

Thats kind of why I said what I said. ;)

Elano

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »

Thats kind of why I said what I said. ;)

that's what i've heard last week during spurs-city