Author Topic: Jimmy Iovine and Warren G  (Read 1026 times)

love33

Jimmy Iovine and Warren G
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
When Jimmy Iovine decided he was going to blackball the West except for Dre and Snoop, why did he decide to blackball Warren G?  He recorded that track with Dre for his album and Jimmy wouldn't even stamp his approval for Dre to make the appearance so Warren couldn't get his half brother on there.  Was Jimmy bitter Warren G signed with Def Jam and left Death Row/Interscope back in the day and sold millions of records for Russell Simmons instead of him?  Warren G gets along with just about everyone so I can't understand the feelings towards him from that camp.

Jimmy H.

Re: Jimmy Iovine and Warren G
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
First off, nobody is blackballing an entire coast. It's time to kill that stupid conspiracy theory once and for all. As much as people want to think of Jimmy Iovine as some kind of "Jewish boogeyman", I doubt he personally clears every guest spot of every Interscope artist. And while we're at if Jimmy was blackballing Warren, how the hell did he end up on Universal for that album, given that it's under the same umbrella as Interscope?

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
First off, nobody is blackballing an entire coast. It's time to kill that stupid conspiracy theory once and for all. As much as people want to think of Jimmy Iovine as some kind of "Jewish boogeyman", I doubt he personally clears every guest spot of every Interscope artist. And while we're at if Jimmy was blackballing Warren, how the hell did he end up on Universal for that album, given that it's under the same umbrella as Interscope?
I think its Jimmy Iovine account, thats why he talk like this.. look at the nick: Jimmy H. - Jimmy I. !!

nah, u're right ppl act like Jimmy controls everything, that hes like an evil genius.. many ppl (in here and at all) actually like making conspiracy theorys.. they make up possible (sometimes even not), pretty logic story (mostly far away from truth), and it goes on, more ppl start to believe it, other start too, becouse many ppl cant be wrong... well..truth is Jimmy (Iovine) is like every other CEO, they are crooked, but they are not "Jeiwsh boogeymans" lmao and Detox is not a myth

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
Detox is not a myth

Ok, prove it.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
I think its Jimmy Iovine account, thats why he talk like this.. look at the nick: Jimmy H. - Jimmy I. !!
It couldn't be....  :o .... OR COULD IT?!?!

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
Detox is not a myth

Ok, prove it.
In courty, they have to prove your guilty.. never the other way.. so its on you to prove that detox is a myth.. i can admit that your theory may be logic, that all elements may fit.. but it is highly not realistic.. of course it could happen, same like you can guess a number 1 out of 10000.. (thats your theory), but it is more possible that u will guess 1 out of 10 (thats the theory if Detox bein a real album).. becouse, Dre is a normal human, he is not some mythical person..

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
I just assumed that "Detox Is A Myth" shit was just some clever joke about all these lame Internet conspiracy theories, you mean people actually think it's really a myth?

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
I just assumed that "Detox Is A Myth" shit was just some clever joke about all these lame Internet conspiracy theories, you mean people actually think it's really a myth?
well, good point, i have never actually thought that it might be just a joke.. but that would make sense ;)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
Jimmy is a bitch...y all he do is wait 4 dres approval..dres headphones...dretox..xzibit said thered b no westcoast witout him
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

love33

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »

This has nothing to do with religion so I don't know why anyone brought that up, but there is more than just a "conspiracy theory."  After B.I.G. died in 1997, Jimmy told Suge to tell his artists to soften their lyrics or else and suge ended up leaving to Priority and mtv went from Mack 10 & Luniz to Puffy and Mase dancing around in space suits.

It's a known fact he told radio stations he would deny them payola and interviews with the artists if they played Death Row artists when suge was trying to make the big comeback, then Dre taunted him "Move units then talk shit and we can do this" -- jimmy blackballed death row so they couldn't move as many units as they did...chronic 2000 only went gold and shouldve went platinum and introduced the new artists but jimmy blocked it

Jimmy's all about his skrilla at the end of the day, but he's also a greedy rap fan who takes his own personal sides in beefs and has enough power and pull to impact the industry and wreck an artist's career.  he wrecked Ja Rule's career, took down Death Row, etc.  Look at the current politics going on with Ice Cube and him not gettin his record played and he's dissing Jimmy's favorite rapper.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
Dre was referring to MC Ren, not death row

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
This has nothing to do with religion so I don't know why anyone brought that up, but there is more than just a "conspiracy theory."  After B.I.G. died in 1997, Jimmy told Suge to tell his artists to soften their lyrics or else and suge ended up leaving to Priority and mtv went from Mack 10 & Luniz to Puffy and Mase dancing around in space suits.

It's a known fact he told radio stations he would deny them payola and interviews with the artists if they played Death Row artists when suge was trying to make the big comeback, then Dre taunted him "Move units then talk shit and we can do this" -- jimmy blackballed death row so they couldn't move as many units as they did...chronic 2000 only went gold and shouldve went platinum and introduced the new artists but jimmy blocked it

Jimmy's all about his skrilla at the end of the day, but he's also a greedy rap fan who takes his own personal sides in beefs and has enough power and pull to impact the industry and wreck an artist's career.  he wrecked Ja Rule's career, took down Death Row, etc.  Look at the current politics going on with Ice Cube and him not gettin his record played and he's dissing Jimmy's favorite rapper.
It's not a religion thing. Many people, far beyond this board, talk about how the Jews runs the entertainment industry. That's where the "Jewish boogeyman" theory comment comes from.

As for your so-called known facts, I'd love to hear a legit source. When Big died, Suge was in prison and not actively in charge of his label so I don't see how he could tell him much of anything. Further more if you actually read up on this period, Suge made a statement at his arraignment that his plans for Death Row included never using the "N" word on any of his albums anymore so Suge himself in on record talking about considering the so-called "softening of lyrics" at Death Row.

MTV went from playing Luniz and Mack 10 to Puffy’s shit? That’s some interesting revisionist history you got there. As I recall, Biggie, Puffy, and Bad Boy were getting regular video play even when the West Coast was dominating. Luniz dropped “I Got Five On It” in 1995 and wasn’t like it was a major MTV video hit. MTV was playing West Coast videos but it was basically the same guys they have always played. You make it sound like their video countdowns were nothing but wall-to-wall West Coast videos then Big died and they suddenly shifted to Puffy. That didn’t happen.

What you don’t hold in account is that by 1997, Death Row was off Interscope. Dre wasn’t there. Suge was locked up in prison. Tupac was dead. Snoop’s “Doggfather” was viewed as somewhat of a disappointment. These “known facts” about denying Payola are interesting since they kind of go against the idea of payola in the first place but I’ll follow you anyway for the sake of argument. Who was Interscope pushing so hard in favor of Death Row at this point in time? Was it Dre because radio and video sure as shit wasn’t loving his post Death Row/ pre Aftermath music anymore than they were feeling Snoop’s Doggfather stuff? Where was Priority during all this? With Jimmy’s blackballing being such a known fact, why were they allowing another label to devalue what should have been a lucrative deal for them?

The whole Chronic 2000 only going gold comment is just a case of you judging your opinion on the musical content, instead of looking at the facts behind the promotion. Why would it have gone platinum? How exciting is a “new roster” of artists to a person that is not directly infatuated with said label going to be? Think about it. Remove Death Row from the equation and imagine some label like Tommy Boy or something announcing they are putting out a two-disc compilation with a bunch of new artists you’ve never heard of. Likewise, how excited was the public to hear an Interscope-backed “Dr. Dre Presents… The Aftermath” compilation with a bunch of new guys on it? “Chronic 2000” at the time looked like to most people like a movie sequel with none of the returning stars. Yes, it had the actual name there but none of the acts, outside of two unreleased Pac tracks. It was also a double album that retailed much higher than a solo disc release. The only legal action taken was a back and forth between Interscope/Dre and Death Row over the title, “The Chronic”, and the use of unreleased Dre recordings.

Look at the current politics going on with Ice Cube and him not gettin his record played and he's dissing Jimmy's favorite rapper.

What are the current politics involving Ice Cube’s career exactly? Who has suddenly stopped playing his hit records because of comments he supposedly made in a song? NOBODY. You tend to confuse the everyday bullshit politics that come with working in the recording industry with some elaborate Jimmy Iovine blackballing conspiracy. It’s a friggin’ idiotic notion to assume that someone as visible in the public eye as Cube is being blackballed.

Exactly. He mentioned this in an interview with Blaze magazine.

V2DHeart

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »
Chronic 2000 had Kurupt & Daz, Jewell, Michel'le, Danny Boy & a previously unheard Quik production. I think it had a lot more than just 2 unreleased 2Pac tracks on there from the original roster
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

love33

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Chronic 2000 had Kurupt & Daz, Jewell, Michel'le, Danny Boy & a previously unheard Quik production. I think it had a lot more than just 2 unreleased 2Pac tracks on there from the original roster

Exactly, it had Scarface on there, Dogg Pound, Soopafly had a small buzz going but many outlets wouldn't rotate "Like It Or Not" (that should have been a hit), "Top Dogg Cindafella" had a video (funny how MTV played Top Dogg's "All About U" version on Pac's Greatest Hits and he was allover tv on Interscope but when his video dropped on 'Chronic 2000' it was blackballed), E-40 was on that double disc, Treach from Naughty by Nature, Tha Realest's tracks (put his Pac comparisons aside) were good music ("Gotta Love Gangstas" is a dope track), etc.  And the content was actually good.  Anyone I talked to at the time who bought or heard the album thought it was tight.

love33

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

It's not a religion thing. Many people, far beyond this board, talk about how the Jews runs the entertainment industry. That's where the "Jewish boogeyman" theory comment comes from.

As for your so-called known facts, I'd love to hear a legit source. When Big died, Suge was in prison and not actively in charge of his label so I don't see how he could tell him much of anything. Further more if you actually read up on this period, Suge made a statement at his arraignment that his plans for Death Row included never using the "N" word on any of his albums anymore so Suge himself in on record talking about considering the so-called "softening of lyrics" at Death Row.

MTV went from playing Luniz and Mack 10 to Puffy’s shit? That’s some interesting revisionist history you got there. As I recall, Biggie, Puffy, and Bad Boy were getting regular video play even when the West Coast was dominating. Luniz dropped “I Got Five On It” in 1995 and wasn’t like it was a major MTV video hit. MTV was playing West Coast videos but it was basically the same guys they have always played. You make it sound like their video countdowns were nothing but wall-to-wall West Coast videos then Big died and they suddenly shifted to Puffy. That didn’t happen.

What you don’t hold in account is that by 1997, Death Row was off Interscope. Dre wasn’t there. Suge was locked up in prison. Tupac was dead. Snoop’s “Doggfather” was viewed as somewhat of a disappointment. These “known facts” about denying Payola are interesting since they kind of go against the idea of payola in the first place but I’ll follow you anyway for the sake of argument. Who was Interscope pushing so hard in favor of Death Row at this point in time? Was it Dre because radio and video sure as shit wasn’t loving his post Death Row/ pre Aftermath music anymore than they were feeling Snoop’s Doggfather stuff? Where was Priority during all this? With Jimmy’s blackballing being such a known fact, why were they allowing another label to devalue what should have been a lucrative deal for them?

The whole Chronic 2000 only going gold comment is just a case of you judging your opinion on the musical content, instead of looking at the facts behind the promotion. Why would it have gone platinum? How exciting is a “new roster” of artists to a person that is not directly infatuated with said label going to be? Think about it. Remove Death Row from the equation and imagine some label like Tommy Boy or something announcing they are putting out a two-disc compilation with a bunch of new artists you’ve never heard of. Likewise, how excited was the public to hear an Interscope-backed “Dr. Dre Presents… The Aftermath” compilation with a bunch of new guys on it? “Chronic 2000” at the time looked like to most people like a movie sequel with none of the returning stars. Yes, it had the actual name there but none of the acts, outside of two unreleased Pac tracks. It was also a double album that retailed much higher than a solo disc release. The only legal action taken was a back and forth between Interscope/Dre and Death Row over the title, “The Chronic”, and the use of unreleased Dre recordings.

Look at the current politics going on with Ice Cube and him not gettin his record played and he's dissing Jimmy's favorite rapper.

What are the current politics involving Ice Cube’s career exactly? Who has suddenly stopped playing his hit records because of comments he supposedly made in a song? NOBODY. You tend to confuse the everyday bullshit politics that come with working in the recording industry with some elaborate Jimmy Iovine blackballing conspiracy. It’s a friggin’ idiotic notion to assume that someone as visible in the public eye as Cube is being blackballed.

Exactly. He mentioned this in an interview with Blaze magazine.

The current politics of Cube's career are that he called out Lil Wayne & Eminem -- two of the artists supposeably who are going to play a key role on "Detox" if it drops.  He had a track called "I Rep That West" and couldn't even get it played in California, meanwhile they are playing Jay-Z's Empire State of Mind which is a NY tribute allover California.  He couldn't get Dr. Dre to work with him for his project.  Something kind of smells funny there don't you think?

Now, back to the Chronic.  You answered your own question -- there was a nasty court case over the use of "The Chronic" title for the releases.  Dre wanted to call his album "The Chronic 2000" and instead had to call it "Dr Dre 2001" (not "The Chronic") because of the court settlement and on the other end Suge was ordered that the "Chronic" title belonged to him but in return he could not put any unreleased recordings by Dr. Dre that had not been previously released on there so he had to pull those tracks off.

Dr. Dre and Jimmy were not happy with that situation of the album title and the disses by the row camp and then all of a sudden the Soopafly track and Top Dogg track struggle to get airplay.

Back to the Suge 'softening the lyrics' situation.  He said in an interview with The Source right before he came out or prison that Jimmy came to him and told him to soften his lyrics and the content of his artists.  Suge said he refused to do it so he moved from Interscope to Priority.  Go read the interview, it's very interesting cause it sheds light on the cultural shift of rap.

After Notorious B.I.G. passed away, the media got together and decided they weren't going to promote gangsta rap (which was the typical brand of the West).  The media took a heavy blame in the East/West rivalry and it looked like the West just knocked out the East when that happened.  Thus, Jimmy went to the #1 label at the time, Death Row, and told them to soften the content.  Then, there was a major change on airplay.  It went from hardcore gangsta music to Will Smith, Nelly, and Mase.  Then, the media distorted the West and promoted Eastcoast artists in 2000 (The Big 3 Ja Rule, DMX, and Jay-Z) and Cash Money Records because they were making music that was hardcore but wasn't "Gangsta" affiliated.  With the exception of fans looking for unreleased Tupac and buzz from 'Up In Smoke' Tour, they all but ran the West off the board.