Author Topic: Chapman dazzles in first Major League win  (Read 122 times)

MistaNova

Chapman dazzles in first Major League win
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »

CINCINNATI -- Two nights, two innings, six batters. One win.

Phenom Aroldis Chapman earned his first Major League victory in his second appearance on the second night of his career Wednesday, entering Cincinnati's game against the Milwaukee Brewers in the seventh inning with the Reds trailing, 1-0.

The Cuban rookie left-hander, called up from Triple-A Louisville on Tuesday, faced the minimum three batters for the second straight night in relief of right-hander Johnny Cueto. After getting Lorenzo Cain to ground sharply to third baseman Scott Rolen, Chapman struck out Alcides Escobar on an 89 mile per hour breaking ball following a fastball that registered 102 on the outfield radar speed indicator.

He used the same pattern to also get Jonathan Lucroy -- his first victim in his Tuesday debut -- to end the inning. He hit 103 on the radar gun before Milwaukee's rookie catcher swung through an 88 mph breaking ball.

"He changed the energy in the ballpark," Reds Manager Dusty Baker said.

Chapman threw 11 pitches, and picked up the victory after the Reds rallied for six runs in the bottom of the seventh en route to a 6-1 win over the Reds.

"I'm really happy to have my first win," Chapman said through interpreter Tomas Vera. "I'm very proud of it. I didn't come here with any expectations. I just wanted to get here and stay here."

Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100901&content_id=14191898&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:34:16 AM by Iveus »