Author Topic: Joe Budden Interview  (Read 100 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Joe Budden Interview
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2010/11/17/joe-budden-interview/

I2G kicked it with one of the illest lyricists out today, Joe Budden for a interview. We discuss his new mixtape, Mood Musik 4 and his approach to the series and his albums, Slaugtherhouse and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Joe Budden how’s it going?

I’m pretty good can’t complain.

You recently dropped your new mixtape, Mood Musik 4, tell me a little bit about the project.

Mood Musik 4 is the latest installment of the series I started in 2005. I want to showcase lyrics and emotion and bring some feeling back that I felt was lacking in hip hop.

I would say out of all the Mood Musiks that you have done, this one is much different. It almost seems like you have reached a inner peace in your life. If so, do you feel like your next album, The Great Escape will reflect that as well?

Yes, and the challenge for me creatively will be to figure out how to get that across with a new and different sound. But I still want to potray that same inner peace and I want the fans to walk away with that as well.

One of my favorite joints off the project is Remember The Titans. What was it like recording that song and if you had to do another one similar to that, who would be the MCs that you would want on the record?

Recording that song was amazing and the idea of the song before we had even recorded it was amazing. Just the adrenaline rush of getting in touch with Fab and Banks and Royce and the way it all came together was just very fun and exciting.

If I had to do another one, I would maybe get Jadakiss, Beanie Sigel, Lupe Fiasco, Jay Electronica, and maybe a few other artists that are amazing in their own right.

I was always interested in what motivates you in the creative process of a song? Is the concept already in place when you get to the studio or do thing instantly spark you and then you record?

I am so fortunate that I am easily inspired and 9 times out of 10 it is life and its happenings. I could walk away from this conversation with inspiration and when you are being creative, you never know where the inspiration is going to come from. You just need to take advantage of it when it does come and that is what I try to do.

You have collaborated with alot of artists outside of your group Slaughterhouse. Who would you say outside of the group is your favorite to work with?

I could not say. Every artist that I have worked with, I have enjoyed it. There are so many more artists that I would like to reach out to, Anthony Hamilton, Jasmine Sullivan, there is just so much more work to do. I enjoy each moment for exactly what it is and I try not to over or under value it.

You created a record entitled Who, which addressed the state of hip hop a couple years ago. If you had to create another one, what would you add to it?

The thing about that record is I think you can play it today and I feel that a large part of it would still apply. You maybe would change a few names just to keep it relevant and fresh, but I still feel like all 3 parts of the song still apply today.

One thing that I have always liked about you as a artist is that you have always been open with you life and kept it true with your fans. You have really allowed fans and foes to get a more personal look at you with your Joe Budden TV. Do you feel the risk outweighs the reward?

Absolutely not and if I felt that way I would have stopped doing it many years ago. I don’t feel like it does and it is a risk that I am willing to take. It definitely has its pros and cons but I am willing to take all of that on.

I don’t know where my career would be right now if it was not for the internet and taking advantage of every resource possible to connect with the people, I could not even say where I would be right now. I will never take that for granted and it is something that I will always take advantage of, as long as I am able to.

With all the projects that you are working on, what determines for you for example a song that would make a Mood Musik series or a song that would make it on your albums?

Great Escape, Padded Room, Escape Route, those albums are more thought. Mood Musiks are more emotion. I can sit down on a Mood Musik track and have no idea what I am going to write and the pen will take on a life of its own.

I won’t stop if there is no bar restriction or set format, even though the songs on Mood Musik 4 seem more formatted then any other Mood Musik. There are no guidelines, just pure emotion. That is how I differ the two.

What in your opinion makes a great hip hop MC?

It is a combination of everything, delivery, cadence, emotion, diversity, lyrics, concepts, longevity, accomplishments. Some people are better at some things then others and some are horrible at things.

Everyone is not going to have a strong suit in all of those categories but you would want to balance them out equally and whoever tallies up the best comes out swinging.

Everyone in the group Slaughterhouse is a student of the hip hop game. What would you say makes the group different from other groups?

I think that Slaughterhouse is the best rap group EVER. You can take any 4 members of any group that has ever been and they will be outrapped by Slaughterhouse. I am confident in saying that, my opinion.

As far as where we would end up ranking, I could not say because we are still in the midst of paving our way and paying our dues and writing our future. Groups like Wu-Tang have done a tremendous job of that already, EMPD, Run DMC, you can go on and on with the groups.

We are just trying to be the best group that we can possibly be. Hopefully in doing that, one thing will take care of the other, and if we do that the accomplishments and accolades will come.

What would you say is a typical or a atypical Slaughterhouse studio session?

It is such a simple and easy session. We all agree on a beat, which is pretty easy for all of us to do, when you have 4 lyricists and a shitload of beats coming in. We all agree on a beat, we pick a concept collectively and we go. It is very easy and it is a very competitive atmosphere but it is also extremely supportive.

There have been times where I have told someone to change a verse and vice versa, help me with a bar, but it is very supportive in spite of the competitive nature that all of us have.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

I am at Showcase Live in Boston on the 27th. We are trying to work out a tour at the moment.

Alright well that is all the questions that I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

I want to shout out the fans and thank you for having me and I appreciate it.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Joe Budden Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
No Budden fans in the house?  ;D

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
Dope read. 8)

I'm about to hit up a show he's going to do in Manhattan in January.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
Dope read. 8)

Just him or is anyone else gonna be there?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Dope read. 8)

Well it's just his show, if that's what you're asking.

But last show I went to a few weeks ago, he had Royce, Crooked & Pharoahe Monch come out to do some shit; I expect something similar for January.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
Dope read. 8)

But last show I went to a few weeks ago, he had Royce, Crooked & Pharoahe Monch come out to do some shit; I expect something similar for January.

Wow. I missed them (Slaughterhouse) last time they were in Vegas. Hopefully I can see them next time.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Dope read. 8)

Wow. I missed them (Slaughterhouse) last time they were in Vegas. Hopefully I can see them next time.

They are quite the performers. Tons of energy.