Author Topic: What is it with the westcoast looking at Dr.Dre to jumpstart the scene again?  (Read 567 times)

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

The westcoast scene is pretty much half-dead if you look at it at a global point of view. Only a few core of interested hip hop heads is into westcoast shit, and one of the reasons is that artists is always looking at Dr.Dre to keep pushing the west coast sound to new limits and creating hits. Very few artists actually take the ball and run with it on the westcoast and creates hits (Nipsey Hussle springs to mind as one of the new cats who's creating dope music for the masses without riding the Dre dick).

The south and eastcoast is more independent in that sense, because they don't look at one artist/ producer to carry a whole coast on their back. I saw the other day a forum member talking about Detox, and the post was somewhat in the lines of "the westcoast will be eating off this for years". Well, it shouldn't be that way. Artist should independently try to push out new, exciting, fresh westcoast music that can appeal to the masses, not to let one artist do it for you so the rest of the world can once again turn it's eyes on the west. Basicly what I'm trying to say is: Create more dope music. Stop riding Dr.Dre's dick and push the west to a new reign  8)

MistaNova

The last few times the west coast was on top was pretty much because of Dr. Dre.
He helped made electro-hop a movement, started the gangsta rap era along with the other 4 members of N.W.A, started the G-Funk era with Chronic, gave the west a breath of fresh air with 2001 and he gave a nostlagic 90's west coast feeling by bringing up Game. Everytime the west has come on top in the past Dre has always been involved.
The only times I think the west won when Dre wasn't involved was MC Hammer, the hyphy movement and jerk movement. And look how those turned out.
Everyone'd rather have the relevance in hip hop Snoop has gotten from working with Dre rather than just be a one shot hit should they make it that far. At least that's what I think.

JML-G

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
^ real talk

blazeindave213

• Muthafuckin' Don!
what do you suspose the haters and disbelevers are thinking right now lol detox is not active comes to mind i know there was sooooo many ppl on here saying that detoxla bla would neve come out and if it did they would bla bla bla i think this is gonna be huge for the west once again id like to see a soild album  come from dre and i think we well

hoe, if I tell yo flea to pull a tree you get a chain and hook his lil ass up.

Stan

what do you suspose the haters and disbelevers are thinking right now lol detox is not active comes to mind i know there was sooooo many ppl on here saying that detoxla bla would neve come out and if it did they would bla bla bla i think this is gonna be huge for the west once again id like to see a soild album  come from dre and i think we well

I think the Detox is a Myth dude needs to delete his account if he already hasn't.  Shit is irrelevant, his name is incorrect.
I almost gave up once -early this year- but am glad I still hung-on to that last lifeline lol.  I came back on and saw Jimmy and Dre announce the Jay-Z song at the baseball stadium.  Gave me some hope  :o

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Nice post. This topic comes up about 3-5 times a year and it is always the same answer. The west never cultivated a lane outside of gangsta rap that not only the rest of the world could gravitate to but west coast fans as well. I mean think about it, Xzibit did not blow up until when? Dre. There are some other artists like Too Short and E-40 that had success but in many cases in was around the same time as gangsta rap. Other than Black Eyed Peas and no one from a hip hop perspective seems to respect them, no one in the last 20 years has really been able to be noticed (Cypress as well but even their music had gangsta elements in it at times). The sad thing is, the music IS out there. West coast underground scene is as dope as anywhere.

BiggBoogaBiff

it's more like why do these threads pop up.  it's Dr. Dre who else do u think is gonna ralley everybody?  Dr. Dre IS the guy for it and not anybody else (Pac ain't here).  This is the guy for The West and nobody has even came close to his spot.  If anything u shouldn't even be questioning it.

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Great Post...It's funny cause at times Snoop has deemed himself the King, Game has deemed himself the King, even Cube...The real funny thing is that all these cats in some form originate from the real King of the West Coast, Dr. Dre. I know alot of yall is saying well "Dre ain't really a rapper like them other dudes and don't write his rhymes an all but I am talking about IMPACT..Game is already almost forgotten and Snoop has always been at his best with Dre..Any doubts, just listen to "Kush"...Sounds like the old Snoop instead of the wack Snoop we get these days. Oh by the way, Cube's album is already just about forgotten about...No diss to Cube, Snoop, Game or anybody else but Dre can stay away for years and years, come back and look what's happening..Dude has a mystique about him and he is the most talented and successful producer in Hip Hop history..Now that much, the west can claim. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

Nice post. This topic comes up about 3-5 times a year and it is always the same answer. The west never cultivated a lane outside of gangsta rap that not only the rest of the world could gravitate to but west coast fans as well. I mean think about it, Xzibit did not blow up until when? Dre. There are some other artists like Too Short and E-40 that had success but in many cases in was around the same time as gangsta rap. Other than Black Eyed Peas and no one from a hip hop perspective seems to respect them, no one in the last 20 years has really been able to be noticed (Cypress as well but even their music had gangsta elements in it at times). The sad thing is, the music IS out there. West coast underground scene is as dope as anywhere.

This. The music and artists are definitely there. But the fans don't really want to support anything that Dre isn't involved in. Case and point. This forum. So many underground artists get passed over here if they aren't somehow involved in the Death Row/Dr. Dre hierarchy.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!

But come on homie, do u blame any one on here to not be pissed a lil...after waiting 10 or 11 yrs for 1 album..they have the wright to be in fuck it mode after so many let downs.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
it's up to the artists on the west to make great music with (or without dre) it's been done it can be done again. the west needs to stop following trends and set some more like back in the day.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Let's not forget the Aftermath compilation and The Wash Soundtrack. If not for industry/label politics, both could have been West Coast/Dre Classics as well so it actually has not been 10 years. 

Hittman2001

Why not have him jumpstart it?  He's seems pretty content with it with his most previous interviews.   I mean, if he's acting gung ho about it, i'd jump onboard if i were an artist.  The name Dr. Dre is something the masses associate with the west coast, isnt it?

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!

and it would not have come out if it wasn't for Em...he said his self,Quot.(.DRE IS SUPER LAZY)..this is why he gets other people to do beats for him..wow i remember this guy use to do beats his self..well with the help of (DJ YELLA)high powered.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Let's not forget the Aftermath compilation and The Wash Soundtrack. If not for industry/label politics, both could have been West Coast/Dre Classics as well so it actually has not been 10 years. 
how about blaming Dre himself?