Author Topic: Knoc-Turn'al - The Return (YoRaps Interview)  (Read 142 times)

Lunatic

Knoc-Turn'al - The Return (YoRaps Interview)
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
http://www.yoraps.com/features1.php?subaction=showfull&id=1292247914&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3&

The West Coast brought a necessary element to Hip-Hop. Their movement was one of a kind and they grew stronger as each year passed. The West birthed some of the most recognizable pioneers in Hip-Hop and allowed for the next generations to build the movement. One of their contributors was Cali-raised rapper, Knoc-Turn’al.
Knoc was privileged to work with, and come up under Hip-Hop legend, Dr. Dre. After getting his feet wet in the industry, many notable artists such as Warren G, DJ Quik, and even Dre himself turned to him when they needed help writing their songs. He's been featured on landmark albums, hit soundtracks and released his own critically acclaimed EP, The Way I Am.

Now, after a Hip-Hop hiatus, Knoc-Turn’al is prepping his return with a new album titled Knocsville, and a new movement. Knoc talked to Yo! Raps about what he’s been up to these last few years, his experience of working with Dr. Dre, and what’s to come.

So what have you been doing during your hiatus in Hip-Hop?

I was creating a new vibe and also a new group called Mathematics. Also, just taking care of my family and trying to remain calm. Trying to mature and spend time perfecting my craft.

Are you anxious about your return to the music scene?

Oh, of course! The reason why I’m anxious is because I’m a lot smarter than I was before and a lot more calm. I’m not a person that they can just make go away, but I had to step back from the music for a while to make sure my family was taken care of. Everything is fine and dandy now so it’s time for me to come back.

Why did you decide that now was a good time for your return?

My life is put back in order now. I thank God for putting it back in place. I did a lot of things that weren’t right, but I thank God for his favor and giving me a second chance.

I’m sure you know that Hip-Hop has changed a lot since you were out before.  What‘s your opinion of the current status of Hip-Hop and how do you plan to adapt to the changes?

It’s all fun at the end of the day so I’m just gonna have fun with it. It’ll be all good as long as there’s no beef. I’ve never liked beef or started it. So I’m just going to have fun like everybody else.

As far as the West Coast movement, it appears to still be strong, just not as mainstream as it once was. Why do you think that is?

You gotta understand a lot of the rappers on the West Coast come from different gangs; different backgrounds and so some of us don’t get along because of that. You got some that have their homies in their ear saying don’t collaborate with that person and so on and so forth so it hinders us. But I think we’re getting over that now and it’ll be back the way it was soon.

Now that you are back, what do you plan to bring to the table as far as the West is concerned?

About 5 new groups, after that about 10 new groups, then after that about 20 new groups!  I’m going to build a movement and make sure it continues to grow so it’ll carry on.

You have an extensive and well-respected resume, how will your strong background contribute to your new project?

I’m not really sure. I don’t like to be arrogant; as long as my family and fans are happy then I’m happy. It doesn’t matter what big name features I have or how many units I sell; I just want the fans and my family to be happy.

How was it coming up under Dr. Dre?

It was rewarding and I learned a lot. I thank God for the opportunities I was blessed with.  He showed me a lot and from there I received a lot of opportunities to work with other big names in the game.

What is the current status of your relationship with him?

Everything’s okay, we’re good. At the time, I just had to step away from everything because I had developed a drinking problem. The industry had become too much for me to handle at the time and I started drowning my sorrows in liquor. I knew I had to step away because I didn’t want to ruin any relationships and plus I knew that it was time for me to get myself together. I can call Dre up right now. He never did anything to me and I never did anything to him.

Let’s talk about the new album, Knocsville.  How did you come up with that title?

I wanted to take the people into my own world and give them a taste of what I’ve been going through and the type of environment that I’ve been surrounded in. This is like the forthcoming for me. I’m letting everyone know in this album that I’m back.

You have a track on the album called Sorry I Left You, where you’re apologizing to your fans. Explain why you wrote that record.

Because I left for five years and nobody tried to black ball me or push me out. I just walked away to try and get my life and family together, but at the same time I had just abandoned my fans and the West Coast movement. If I want them to accept me and love me again like they did the first time, the least I can do is apologize.

What producers did you work with on the album?

I’ll just say there are some old and some new. All together the album is a masterpiece.  Each track contains quality production.

What do you want your fans to receive from this new album?

I just want them to understand that it doesn’t take much for a man that was once accomplished, to accomplish again. All you have to do is take the time to apply yourself and don’t give up. Don’t drown yourself in your sorrows or do anything that can harm you. Just breathe, relax and stay consistent in your work.

- By Tasha S.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Mista Rosa

Re: Knoc-Turn'al - The Return (YoRaps Interview)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
Luna this project is different from the Book of Knoc, right? There was supposed to have a track featuring Nate Dogg on the book of Knoc, is it happening??

And nice interview.
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
Luna this project is different from the Book of Knoc, right? There was supposed to have a track featuring Nate Dogg on the book of Knoc, is it happening??

And nice interview.
Yes. Knoc's Ville is one album. Book Of Knoc is another album. Like The Chronic was one album & 2001 was another album LOL. Knoc-turn'al/MathMadix have a Nate Dogg hook, yes. Not sure where it'll end up (Book of Knoc, Mathmadix group album, one of there solo albums, etc)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Young Old Head

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »
i somehow have the feeling that both of these albums will be released in the same time span as the chronic and 2001, which means 7 years in between *lol*

Cash Money Blood Gang

Mista Rosa

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »

And nice interview.
Yes. Knoc's Ville is one album. Book Of Knoc is another album. Like The Chronic was one album & 2001 was another album LOL. Knoc-turn'al/MathMadix have a Nate Dogg hook, yes. Not sure where it'll end up (Book of Knoc, Mathmadix group album, one of there solo albums, etc)

As long as they dont sat on it, they can put it anywhere, i'm good!
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."