Author Topic: Hip hop artist of the decade???  (Read 653 times)

Prof@ssor

Re: Hip hop artist of the decade???
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:35 AM »
Eminem's hiatus lasted from circa 2004 till 2009. That is 5 years. A decade is 10 years!!  :-[

No disrespect to Eminem, but the title should go to Jay-Z. And I'm not even a Jay fan. I don't own any of his albums.

The whole Rocafella movement, his introduction of The Neptunes, Just Blaze and Kanye West to the world and the amount of albums alone are enough reasons.
His business ventures, from Rocawear to Rocnation, to 40/40, to Def Jam presidency, to the Nets, to eventually grace the cover of Forbes magazine with Warren Buffet.
The man is an inspiration, his impact is beyond hip-hop, and in that sense he took hip-hop to a higher level.

What the fuck did Em do? We're not speaking about Aftermath, let's speak about Shady. Shady records? Flop. Shady Clothing? Flop.
Royce, Cashis, Stat Quo, the list doesn't stop, all had potential. Even D12, after 2 albums is suffering. So bad Bizarre was selling verses on Craiglist last week to be able to buy Christmas gifts.
He is an incredible artist, possibly the greatest rapper in ever lyrically...but seriously, besides rapping about his mom, wife, daughter, and being an anti-conformist, alcoholic and drug-addict who had a 4-5 year hiatus, he didn't do shit.

p.s. Let's not forget Snoop  8)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »

no...we can forget about him.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
The thread starter specifically said "impact" as the criteria. I REFUSE to listen to any bullshit, racial argument that Eminem hasn't had the GREATEST amount of impact in the last 10 years.

You could almost make the argument the most impact that any rapper has ever given to Hip Hop.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Eminem's hiatus lasted from circa 2004 till 2009. That is 5 years. A decade is 10 years!!  :-[

No disrespect to Eminem, but the title should go to Jay-Z. And I'm not even a Jay fan. I don't own any of his albums.

The whole Rocafella movement, his introduction of The Neptunes, Just Blaze and Kanye West to the world and the amount of albums alone are enough reasons.
His business ventures, from Rocawear to Rocnation, to 40/40, to Def Jam presidency, to the Nets, to eventually grace the cover of Forbes magazine with Warren Buffet.
The man is an inspiration, his impact is beyond hip-hop, and in that sense he took hip-hop to a higher level.

What the fuck did Em do? We're not speaking about Aftermath, let's speak about Shady. Shady records? Flop. Shady Clothing? Flop.
Royce, Cashis, Stat Quo, the list doesn't stop, all had potential. Even D12, after 2 albums is suffering. So bad Bizarre was selling verses on Craiglist last week to be able to buy Christmas gifts.
He is an incredible artist, possibly the greatest rapper in ever lyrically...but seriously, besides rapping about his mom, wife, daughter, and being an anti-conformist, alcoholic and drug-addict who had a 4-5 year hiatus, he didn't do shit.

i would credit artists like Mystikal and Ol Dirty Bastard as the introduction of The Neptunes in the mainstream...
and Dame Dash put Kanye West on. jay-z ddint have anythin to do wit him.. he just jumped on the bandwagon afterwards

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
Eminem's biggest impact (The Slim Shady LP & The Marshal Mathers LP) was last decade.
Decades start with a year that ends in 1.  This decade ends next week.  There was no year 0. 

no cause then the year 2000 would be part of the 90s

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
how come some1's always being racist everytime they say Eminem is white and they just don't fuck with his music like that?  that's so cliche'.  i wish some people would come to realize that their white god wasn't all that he was to them that he was to everybody else (he's a crossover).  big deal, young white kids it up and em he's had some of hip hop's most classic bars (hold up... wait a second)...  but eminem just isn't all that to everybody and that should be pointed out, on some real shit, you can't be like 99-04' he had a run that'll blow anything else out tha water, fuck that, that's not even 10 years.  Not to mention that that album "Encore" was horrible.  (2004 right?)

but artist of the decade easily goes to Lil' Wayne.  you can't point out a year he didn't have a chart top 5 or a number 1.  jay's up there becuz he always shuts shit down when he goes, then there's Kanye who just elevated to a whole new level just now and has always cranked out thunder, then i'd have to give it to him, 50 is somewhere up close to tha top too.
And this is my point..he even got top awards for this shitty ass album-ENCORE-which he did not deserve an top award for.....must be fuck up to be in ems shoes knowing people just giving u shit that u know u don't deserve  :grumpy:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »
So basically, what I'm getting here is that people are fighting against Eminem because personally they have something against the success of his music because it isn't as good as the music?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
The thread starter specifically said "impact" as the criteria. I REFUSE to listen to any bullshit, racial argument that Eminem hasn't had the GREATEST amount of impact in the last 10 years.

Um, you're kinda ignoring the fact that his biggest impact with his two first albums when he blew up on the scene.  The impact was already felt before this decade even started.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »

That has nothing to do with this.  The question is: "Hip hop artist of the decade???", not "Hip hop artist of the 2000s???".  This is decade we are in right now runs from Jan 1st, 2001 - Dec 31, 2010 and that's not even debatable, it's just a fact.   

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »

Um, you're kinda ignoring the fact that his biggest impact with his two first albums when he blew up on the scene.  The impact was already felt before this decade even started.

I just Google'd 2000 decades & it says it started on January 1st, 2000.

The Marshall Mathers LP was in this decade & was easily more impacting than the SSLP. The Eminem Show also had a tremendous amount of impact. After that he kind of fell off, but still sold an incredible amount of records. Sure, they don't represent classic music, but they have to represent some sort of impact & influence on the game & the Hip Hop fan base.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
So basically, what I'm getting here is that people are fighting against Eminem because personally they have something against the success of his music because it isn't as good as the music?
WAKE UP HOME,BOY!its good to be a fan,but damn,to be in such huge denial..my god!...icant give it up for my favorits artists if they dont deserve it.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »

That has nothing to do with this.  The question is: "Hip hop artist of the decade???", not "Hip hop artist of the 2000s???".  This is decade we are in right now runs from Jan 1st, 2001 - Dec 31, 2010 and that's not even debatable, it's just a fact.   

naw i get that im not dumb but people are saying kanyes new record doesnt count since it came out this year and talking about eminems great "impact" when his last great impact on hip hop was 2000 when mmlp came out.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »

The Marshall Mathers LP was in this decade & was easily more impacting than the SSLP. The Eminem Show also had a tremendous amount of impact. After that he kind of fell off, but still sold an incredible amount of records. Sure, they don't represent classic music, but they have to represent some sort of impact & influence on the game & the Hip Hop fan base.
Ok the eminem show was a good album.i really enjoyed that..and he did deserve what ever reward he got for that lp.cool...but tell me..what else has he done that was so mind blowing that  every fucking album gets praised like god...dont worry i can wait.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »

Ok the eminem show was a good album.i really enjoyed that..and he did deserve what ever reward he got for that lp.cool...but tell me..what else has he done that was so mind blowing that  every fucking album gets praised like god...dont worry i can wait.

he's a Stan son, just forget about it.

:poke: (stan)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »

You could almost make the argument the most impact that any rapper has ever given to Hip Hop.

Sales definitely. But impact? How has he influenced the game or other artists apart from his own career? You don't really see other rappers taking Eminem's style and running with it. I would say Kanye had a bigger impact on the hip hop genre in this decade, from re-popularizing the soul sample and making it cool to have a softer non-street image.